Bullnose Forums

Gas tank interference woes

Hi All,

I am converting my 81 standard cab short bed truck to 4wd using '95 components (351w, E4OD, BW1356). After I put the transfer case in, I had to clearance the gas tank a bit to make enough room for the motor on the back of the transfer case. Basically just bend the seam on the tank up, then dent the tank in a little around where the motor sat.

I am still buttoning the project up, but today I went to install the VSS on the speedo gear hole on the transfer case tail housing. This is the unit from '86, where it is both a VSS and a speedo drive. The hole on the tail housing is pointing right at the gas tank, and there is not enough room to install the VSS. Even if there was enough room, then getting the speedo cable in and operating is not likely, it would basically have to bend 90 degrees within in inch of leaving the VSS.

So I'm not really sure if it's just the odd combination of parts I'm using or what. I kind of suspect that by the time they were putting E4OD's in these trucks, they weren't selling short wheelbase versions, so the later trucks just had the gas tank further back from the drivetrain components.

I guess my question is, is there any stock gas tanks out there that would work in this configuration, or have I just worked myself into a corner with the components I'm using and will have to customize a tank? I'm not really keen on doing all the work to switch to a rear tank set-up.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Thanks!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tanks were not farther back.

From the wheel to the fillers are the same between the SB 16 gallon tanks and the LB 19 gallon tanks.

20160504_195500.jpg.f2c48457c9d88233eee40734c66b57c1.jpg

The 19 gallon tanks is longer to the front as seen above.

Cant help on your issue.

See if you can find the year truck your parts came from and give a look see if it has the same issue and how Ford got around it.

Dave ----

I suspect it is the odd mix of parts you have, with the shortbed, E4OD, and a 1356 with electric shift.

Do you know what tank you have? I think you should have a 16.5 gallon tank, but if someone put a 19 gallon tank in there...

I don't have dimensions on the tanks, but do have a 19 gallon in Big Blue, so could measure it if you'd like.

So I'm not really sure if it's just the odd combination of parts I'm using or what. I kind of suspect that by the time they were putting E4OD's in these trucks, they weren't selling short wheelbase versions, so the later trucks just had the gas tank further back from the drivetrain components.

Sorry, I read too quickly the first time around and missed this question/comment.

I bought a 1995 F150 4x4 SWB last year just for the chassis and drivetrain. I then swapped a 1980 bod on to the 1995 frame...cab and Flareside bed. I re-used the factory 1995 drive components...the M5OD trans, and BW1356 transfer case. In converting the truck to a 1980, I ordered and installed an 80-86 short wheelbase 16 gal side mount gas tank, and a new set of straps, and it bolted right in, and there were no clearance issues at all with the BW1356 transfer case.

The E4OD is quite a bit larger than the M5OD that was in mine, but that wouldn't change the left/right position of the transfer case. It might change the front to back position by an inch or two, but that's it.

My BW1356 would be the same size as yours also, but mine was manual shift, not electric.

This is why I asked previously about the crossmember. For all intents and purposes, the F150 frames were the same from 1980-1996, 2wd or 4x4. However, I bet you there were 30 different transmission crossmembers.

Any thoughts, anyone?

What transmission crossmember are you using in this swap?

When you say there is a motor on the transfer case, does that mean it is electric shift?

The crossmember from the 95 is what I used, the kind that wraps up the outside of the frame on the passenger side.

Yes, the TC is electric shift, I moved the motor and it's controller and switch over from the 95.

Tanks were not farther back.

From the wheel to the fillers are the same between the SB 16 gallon tanks and the LB 19 gallon tanks.

The 19 gallon tanks is longer to the front as seen above.

Cant help on your issue.

See if you can find the year truck your parts came from and give a look see if it has the same issue and how Ford got around it.

Dave ----

Thanks for those tank pictures, that gives me something to compare to.

I measured the tank in my truck, it's around 40 inches. It is not the original from the truck, it looks pretty new. But when looking around online at tanks, I saw some of them measure 58 inches or so, so I think it is a 16 gallon.

I suspect it is the odd mix of parts you have, with the shortbed, E4OD, and a 1356 with electric shift.

Do you know what tank you have? I think you should have a 16.5 gallon tank, but if someone put a 19 gallon tank in there...

I don't have dimensions on the tanks, but do have a 19 gallon in Big Blue, so could measure it if you'd like.

Thanks Gary, I would be interested in the dimensions of the 19 gallon tank.

My truck has a new-looking tank, I'm positive it's not the original, but I'm not sure it's a 19 gallon either. It measures about 40 or 41 inches in length, depending on how much of the seam I include. I saw some online that said they were 58 inches, mine is nowhere near that long.

I did compare it to the tank in the 95 donor truck, and that one appears to be about the same size. No interference issues on it, however, since it was an extended cab.

Well, they definitely sold short wheelbase versions right up until 1996, and I'm pretty sure the gas tanks were the same dimensions and mounted the same all along as well.

I would guess that the short wheelbase 4x4's didn't get the E4OD, or the electric t-case shift? The E4OD only came out in 1989 as the heavy duty replacement for the shorter C6. The standard 4spd auto in an F150 at that time was still the AOD. 1991 was the last year for the speedometer cable, so that issue went away in 1992.

I'm guessing the E4OD is just too long...

Well, they definitely sold short wheelbase versions right up until 1996, and I'm pretty sure the gas tanks were the same dimensions and mounted the same all along as well.

I would guess that the short wheelbase 4x4's didn't get the E4OD, or the electric t-case shift? The E4OD only came out in 1989 as the heavy duty replacement for the shorter C6. The standard 4spd auto in an F150 at that time was still the AOD. 1991 was the last year for the speedometer cable, so that issue went away in 1992.

I'm guessing the E4OD is just too long...

I'll measure Big Blue when I can, but it may not be tomorrow. And, I don't have the gas tanks in Dad's truck with the E4OD so may run into similar problems. But if I do I'll go with the 38 gallon rear tank.