Bullnose Forums

It's all in the timing!

FuzzFace2

Well it is easy enough to adjust the can and put the hose on & off so I may give that a try.

Pulling the dist. and swapping the springs is not bad once you have done it.

I think I could have it done in and hour, R&R and running.

Think I will do the adjusting and / or spring swap later in the week if I have time.

Tomorrow the high here is 38*f and if I have to spend time out in it for work like today, cement you have to watch the gauges outside, I will not want to work on the truck.

Besides I put the Javelin back in my garage so I would have to move it out, truck in, fire up the heater, etc. after a long day so it can wait.

Dave ----

I got lazy today when I got home where I should of just pulled the dist. and did the heavy spring swap :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Then again up at 12am, at work for 2am and it was 27*f. My last LP load at 11am it was only 36*f and the cold just sucks the life out of me!

Tomorrow it is going to be warmer and hope I have a little more in me to do the swap.

But for the heck of it I adjusted the can and hooked the hose up. (back roads home)

Timing still at 14* BTDC

Did 4 turns CCW to start, had pinging but better than with the adjustment all the way CW.

I pulled over and did 2 more turns CCW for total of 6. It still has some pinging but was less.

When I got home I did 2 more turns CCW for a total of 8. Will see how it goes going to work tomorrow.

It feels a little sluggish off the line but cruise feels a lot better.

I think if I can I will plot the timing curve the way it is now so I know what I have as I have the centrifugal side already. Then will do the spring swap and no vacuum and see what I got.

Still sneaking up on it :nabble_smiley_good:

Dave ----

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got lazy today when I got home where I should of just pulled the dist. and did the heavy spring swap :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Then again up at 12am, at work for 2am and it was 27*f. My last LP load at 11am it was only 36*f and the cold just sucks the life out of me!

Tomorrow it is going to be warmer and hope I have a little more in me to do the swap.

But for the heck of it I adjusted the can and hooked the hose up. (back roads home)

Timing still at 14* BTDC

Did 4 turns CCW to start, had pinging but better than with the adjustment all the way CW.

I pulled over and did 2 more turns CCW for total of 6. It still has some pinging but was less.

When I got home I did 2 more turns CCW for a total of 8. Will see how it goes going to work tomorrow.

It feels a little sluggish off the line but cruise feels a lot better.

I think if I can I will plot the timing curve the way it is now so I know what I have as I have the centrifugal side already. Then will do the spring swap and no vacuum and see what I got.

Still sneaking up on it :nabble_smiley_good:

Dave ----

Do you now have the vacuum advance all the way CCW? I fear your current vacuum unit is too sensitive and you may never get it to work w/o pinging. It is surely one for EGR and those bring in a lot of advance at little vacuum.

Nonetheless, you are making good progress. :nabble_smiley_good:

Do you now have the vacuum advance all the way CCW? I fear your current vacuum unit is too sensitive and you may never get it to work w/o pinging. It is surely one for EGR and those bring in a lot of advance at little vacuum.

Nonetheless, you are making good progress. :nabble_smiley_good:

I got the vacuum can I ordered today.

One thing I don’t like is that the stop is full CW, it just seems to get a little stiff then clicks if you go past that point going CCW.

I ran it to the stop CW then counted turns till it got stiff going CCW. 14, so I went 7 turns CW and I’ll install it and the 180° thermostat when I can.

I got the vacuum can I ordered today.

One thing I don’t like is that the stop is full CW, it just seems to get a little stiff then clicks if you go past that point going CCW.

I ran it to the stop CW then counted turns till it got stiff going CCW. 14, so I went 7 turns CW and I’ll install it and the 180° thermostat when I can.

Dave is at 8 turns CCW from the stop, so maybe he has another 6?

Yes it was 8 from CW stop.

When I went CCW I don't remember it getting hard just clicking that I would guess was off the adjuster?

I tried to count the turns to CW stop but it did not want to thread in the first 20 or so turns so don't really know how many turns from CW stop till the end but will use the 6 more as a reference.

So far I bought 2 cans the first was not even close to bolting up and no adjusting.

2nd one could be adjusted but did not bolt up.

Thanks

Dave ----

Yes it was 8 from CW stop.

When I went CCW I don't remember it getting hard just clicking that I would guess was off the adjuster?

I tried to count the turns to CW stop but it did not want to thread in the first 20 or so turns so don't really know how many turns from CW stop till the end but will use the 6 more as a reference.

So far I bought 2 cans the first was not even close to bolting up and no adjusting.

2nd one could be adjusted but did not bolt up.

Thanks

Dave ----

At 8 turns CCW from all the way CW and no pinging that I heard going to work.

I may go back 1 turn CW for a total of 7 just to see what happens but want to change that heavy spring and test with out vacuum to see what I get.

Don't know if I can do the swap when I get home as it's going to be a long day at work with 3 loads of LP gas.

Dave ----

At 8 turns CCW from all the way CW and no pinging that I heard going to work.

I may go back 1 turn CW for a total of 7 just to see what happens but want to change that heavy spring and test with out vacuum to see what I get.

Don't know if I can do the swap when I get home as it's going to be a long day at work with 3 loads of LP gas.

Dave ----

Yippee! You are, as you said, sneaking up on it.

And that's the right way, get the initial sorted, then the centrifugal sorted, and then do the vacuum. But sometimes you have to iterate. For instance, you could now dial in 2 more degrees of initial and see if the engine has a bit more spunk and still doesn't ping - w/o vacuum.

Yippee! You are, as you said, sneaking up on it.

And that's the right way, get the initial sorted, then the centrifugal sorted, and then do the vacuum. But sometimes you have to iterate. For instance, you could now dial in 2 more degrees of initial and see if the engine has a bit more spunk and still doesn't ping - w/o vacuum.

Good to hear! This thread is helping me plan my attack!

Good to hear! This thread is helping me plan my attack!

Sorry to say there is no easy way to recurve our distributors.

Plot it, pull it and make a change, put it back in, test & plot curve, repeat till its right.

I have 1 more spring swap, test and plot curve and if ok then move on to the vacuum side of the advance.

Again as a test only as I still have that spring change, I adjusted the can 1 turn back CW for a total of 7 turns CCW from stop. Vacuum hooked up

I have a vary slight ping and not all the time.

Still a little sluggish off the line but throttle response is good when cruising.

I would say if the spring swap dose not work I will go back the the springs I have now ( MSD blue & factory heavy spring) bring the timing from 14° BTDC to 16° BTDC and see what I get.

I don't want to bring the timing up just yet as all my testing has been at 14° and has been starting pretty good.

Dave ----