Bullnose Forums

It's all in the timing!

FuzzFace2

Rusty, yes I told Scott what I had before he recurved the distributor. It is a new one.

I may send him my original to recurve because the small cap bugs me a little.

Was he just out of the large cap dist. or he dose not do them?

Cant you use the adapter the large cap uses to fit the small body to run the large cap?

Thought that is all Ford did?

Wait the dist. that uses the adapter screws to the dist. the small body dist. uses clips right? :nabble_smiley_blush:

Dave ----

Took the truck out the long way to the parts store to order the spring kit and a vacuum advance, if the dist is pulled to do springs might as well do the vacuum can as I think it is for a car and not a heavy truck and may have different spring rates to start with.

This way I hope the truck one puts me in the ball park come time for adjusting it.

When I first started out motor cold, timing set to 10*, vacuum to dist. it would ping and got worst as the motor got up to temp.

I pulled over and pulled the vacuum line and plugged it and that seam to stop the pinging but still want to do a little more testing at 10* and them bump it up 2* at a time till I get pinging, note deg. and back if off so it stops and report back.

I also ordered the timing gaskets. The dist parts should be here today they said but will pick them up Wed. with the gaskets.

Dave ----

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rusty, yes I told Scott what I had before he recurved the distributor. It is a new one.

I may send him my original to recurve because the small cap bugs me a little.

Was he just out of the large cap dist. or he dose not do them?

Cant you use the adapter the large cap uses to fit the small body to run the large cap?

Thought that is all Ford did?

Wait the dist. that uses the adapter screws to the dist. the small body dist. uses clips right? :nabble_smiley_blush:

Dave ----

He said there are no big caps available right now due to supply issues.

Yes it has clips, but I never thought of swapping things around. I’ll have to take a closer look just to satisfy that curiosity! Thought the old one had clips too.

Took the truck out the long way to the parts store to order the spring kit and a vacuum advance, if the dist is pulled to do springs might as well do the vacuum can as I think it is for a car and not a heavy truck and may have different spring rates to start with.

This way I hope the truck one puts me in the ball park come time for adjusting it.

When I first started out motor cold, timing set to 10*, vacuum to dist. it would ping and got worst as the motor got up to temp.

I pulled over and pulled the vacuum line and plugged it and that seam to stop the pinging but still want to do a little more testing at 10* and them bump it up 2* at a time till I get pinging, note deg. and back if off so it stops and report back.

I also ordered the timing gaskets. The dist parts should be here today they said but will pick them up Wed. with the gaskets.

Dave ----

Dave - Have you seen the Crane Cams instructions for how to set up timing on our page at Documentation/Electrical/Ignition?

Dave, I tried the Mr Gasket distributor spring kit on my 460. And it pinged or knocked worse.

Decided to order a recurved distributor from Scotty the mad porter, Parkland Auto Machine in Tacoma Washington. I heard of him on here. He only had small cap distributors and I got one.

Dane, is this what you want?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294475650433?epid=79529898&hash=item44901dd581:g:M3MAAOSwAlBhlg6Q

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.06e76937c04902075d5869b3aec63714.jpg

Dave, I tried the Mr Gasket distributor spring kit on my 460. And it pinged or knocked worse.

Decided to order a recurved distributor from Scotty the mad porter, Parkland Auto Machine in Tacoma Washington. I heard of him on here. He only had small cap distributors and I got one.

Dane, is this what you want?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294475650433?epid=79529898&hash=item44901dd581:g:M3MAAOSwAlBhlg6Q

Thanks David, I still have my original big cap distributor.

Thanks David, I still have my original big cap distributor.

Well the re-curve party was a flop :nabble_smiley_angry:

Only thing worst is if the cops showed up .......... ok maybe not that bad but was not good either.

The Dist came out of the motor easy enough and even came apart easy.

Got it all cleaned up and checked over before I started to put it together.

Part 1 of the flop is the Mr. Gasket kit (925D) springs felt lighter than the light spring I removed in the "pull test". But figured what the heck lets go with it as I had rubber gloves on.

Part 2 of the flop was before I went to install the new vacuum can I tried to see if I could adjust it.

I tried both SAE and Metric keys and many different sizes and none would fit or adjust.

So back in the box for returning and cleaned out the working factory one.

Got the dist. dropped back in and set by ear was at 14* BTDC not bad in my book.

With help from my son and grand son I did the curve test and will post it later.

Took it for a test drive and had to turn around with in 1/4/mile to kick the timing back more!

I set it to 10* where it was before I started the re-curve and only had a vary slit ping.

Next test drive was to the parts store, also 1/4 mile the other way from the first test.

Well it still pings worst than before this re-curve party started.

Re-curve, no vacuum timing at 14* BTDC @ 850 RPM idle speed *1 *2

idle - 14*

1000 - 14* - 16*

1500 - 25*

2000 - 27*

2500 - 27*

3000 - 27*

*1 I used a different dial back timing light, Snap-On that has a better scale than the HF one I used the first time.

*2 the advance limit was in slot R13 the other was R18 of the 2 to pick from

What it was before the Re-curve timing at 16* @ 800 RPM idle speed

idle - 16*

1000 - 18*

1500 - 24*

2000 - 24*

2500 - 24*

3000 - 24*

It looks like by cleaning it I got more advance total even with the timing set to 14* over the 16* of the first test. I also bent the spring post out a little but it looks like I need to put the old spring back in or find 1 a little stiffer than the old spring. The MSD springs I have I think are to stiff when I looked at them but will check them again.

So where to now? I am open to suggestions and help.

Dave ----

ps the Crane Cams adjusting said to bump timing up 2* to 4* from factory.

The sticker on mine is 6* BTDC so 10* would be the max 4* Crane said to go for testing.

I am at 10* now and the pinging is worst with the Mr G spring installed.

Thaks

Only thing worst is if the cops showed up .......... ok maybe not that bad but was not good either.

Part 1 of the flop is the Mr. Gasket kit (925D) springs felt lighter than the light spring I removed in the "pull test". But figured what the heck lets go with it as I had rubber gloves on.

Part 2 of the flop was before I went to install the new vacuum can I tried to see if I could adjust it.

I tried both SAE and Metric keys and many different sizes and none would fit or adjust.

Got the dist. dropped back in and set by ear was at 14* BTDC not bad in my book.

With help from my son and grand son I did the curve test and will post it later.

Took it for a test drive and had to turn around with in 1/4/mile to kick the timing back more!

I set it to 10* where it was before I started the re-curve and only had a vary slit ping.

Next test drive was to the parts store, also 1/4 mile the other way from the first test.

idle - 14*

1000 - 14* - 16*

1500 - 25*

2000 - 27*

2500 - 27*

3000 - 27*

*1 I used a different dial back timing light, Snap-On that has a better scale than the HF one I used the first time.

idle - 16*

1000 - 18*

1500 - 24*

2000 - 24*

2500 - 24*

3000 - 24*

It looks like by cleaning it I got more advance total even with the timing set to 14* over the 16* of the first test. I also bent the spring post out a little but it looks like I need to put the old spring back in or find 1 a little stiffer than the old spring. The MSD springs I have I think are to stiff when I looked at them but will check them again.

Dave ----

The sticker on mine is 6* BTDC so 10* would be the max 4* Crane said to go for testing.

Thaks

I had the same result with the Mr Gasket springs, which I shouldn’t have tried because as you said, they’re light springs.

Also had the same results trying to adjust the vacuum can. I have a can on my old distributor I’m going to use. I know I can adjust it with a 3/32 Allen wrench. I got the can in my old distributor at NAPA BTW.

Scotty the mad porter suggested that I run a cooler thermostat, I have a 195° in there now, will go with a 180°. He stated that he’s seen problems with engines with big iron heads. Hadn’t thought of that.

I won’t be doing this till we get warmer and dryer weather. I’m working outside.

idle - 14*

1000 - 14* - 16*

1500 - 25*

2000 - 27*

2500 - 27*

3000 - 27*

idle - 16*

1000 - 18*

1500 - 24*

2000 - 24*

2500 - 24*

3000 - 24*

Dave ----

Thaks

Dave -Sorry for the flop. And sorry for the late and short reply - we have company.

First, I don’t let Mr Gasket products in my shop, much less on my truck. I didn’t tell you that when you ordered the springs as I hoped you wouldn’t have the same experience. Sorry.

But you obviously need to find a heavier spring. Does Crane have a kit? Their stuff has always been good.

And you can test springs by hooking two together and seeing which stretches first.

I’ll try to get back on this topic tomorrow.

idle - 14*

1000 - 14* - 16*

1500 - 25*

2000 - 27*

2500 - 27*

3000 - 27*

idle - 16*

1000 - 18*

1500 - 24*

2000 - 24*

2500 - 24*

3000 - 24*

Dave ----

Thaks

Dave, you might want to use the R18 slot, the R is for right hand rotation and 13 or 18 are the number of distributor degrees, but it might be crank degrees advance it will give you. You probably want 34° degrees total mechanical advance on a 300 due to the long stroke. So if it is crank degrees, 34° - 18° = 16° BTDC static timing.

Keep in mind, the 300 as built was a torque motor, not high rpm and by 1986 it was pretty well strangled by the emission system. Good example, my second Ford truck was a 1977 F150, 300 six and C4. PS and brakes. Fellow I worked with had a 1977 F100, essentially the same as mine. Underhood, way different, mine had PCV and Evaporative emissions only, his had the whole package, Cat, Air pump, EGR in addition to what mine had.

On springs, do you or anyone you know have a fish scale? You need a tension scale to test the springs for load. Keep in mind what I said in my earlier post about the heavy spring having a long hook on one end, this is what is used to control the amount of initial mechanical advance.