Bullnose Forums

Carburetors - Gary's Musings

Jim - I think you know, but the Street Demon is a completely different design than the other Demon carbs, which are similar to Holley's. But the Street is a Carter-style carb, designed by an ex-Carter engineer about 10 years ago. Kind of a cross between an AVS and a Thermoquad.

Yes, I do know.

Just making the point that I've finally gotten the bad taste out of my mouth from past association with the name.

Your carb has plastic bowls.

I guess that means no corrosion when this crap sold for fuel comes apart after sitting for a week or two in humid weather?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I do know.

Just making the point that I've finally gotten the bad taste out of my mouth from past association with the name.

Your carb has plastic bowls.

I guess that means no corrosion when this crap sold for fuel comes apart after sitting for a week or two in humid weather?

I hope that's the case.

Yes. I chose composite to keep the gas cooler. Today's gas easily percolates and the composite bowl helps by insulating the gas from the heat of the engine.

As said, the designer had been an engineer with Carter until it folded, and he borrowed the best stuff from their various carbs, and the polymer bowl came from the Thermoquad. The TQ was a good carb, but ham-handed mechanics wreaked havoc by over-tightening the screws and deforming the bowl.

Yes. I chose composite to keep the gas cooler. Today's gas easily percolates and the composite bowl helps by insulating the gas from the heat of the engine.

As said, the designer had been an engineer with Carter until it folded, and he borrowed the best stuff from their various carbs, and the polymer bowl came from the Thermoquad. The TQ was a good carb, but ham-handed mechanics wreaked havoc by over-tightening the screws and deforming the bowl.

That's why I went to EFI, no percolation issues. Maybe our new president will do away with the damned ethanol in gas. It was done to help the grain farmers and all it did was drive up the cost of food and cause problems with fuel systems.

That's why I went to EFI, no percolation issues. Maybe our new president will do away with the damned ethanol in gas. It was done to help the grain farmers and all it did was drive up the cost of food and cause problems with fuel systems.

Yes, the ethanol is a big issue. It is amazing what it does to the rubber lines in the old trucks.

Yes, the ethanol is a big issue. It is amazing what it does to the rubber lines in the old trucks.

You should see what it does to small engine carburetors. We have a station that carries non-ethanol mid grade and that's what people here use for small engines, marine use and agricultural use (the ones that still have gas powered tractors).

You should see what it does to small engine carburetors. We have a station that carries non-ethanol mid grade and that's what people here use for small engines, marine use and agricultural use (the ones that still have gas powered tractors).

We have several stations that carry straight gas in several grades, and that's what most people use for small engines. And all the marinas I've been to only carry straight gas.

I sure wish they'd change that law.

• 2 months later...

We have several stations that carry straight gas in several grades, and that's what most people use for small engines. And all the marinas I've been to only carry straight gas.

I sure wish they'd change that law.

Ordering a new carb and wondering how your 750cfm is working out.

Is this a significant performance and fuel increase over the 625cfm that was mentioned?

Ordering a new carb and wondering how your 750cfm is working out.

Is this a significant performance and fuel increase over the 625cfm that was mentioned?

Edward - Is that to me? My 750 CFM Eddy is working great. No problems with it at all.

But that's on a non-stock 460. What engine do you have? (Hint: If you'd put that info in your signature we wouldn't have to ask.) A 600 to 650 CFM carb is a better choice for a 351, if that's what you have.