Bullnose Forums

Radiator Question - not typical

A pump would probably help as it would cause flow, and therefore agitation, at the top where you know there are deposits.

I will have to take a picture but I pulled the radiator and to keep it safe laid it flat in the bed of the truck.

It took just under a gallon of vinegar to fill it up to the just below the top of the 2 hose outlets.

So far it is not looking like it will do much after being in for 2 hours. I will most likely keep it in for a week or more till I get back out to check & drain it.

I am also going to have wife order the Oxalic Acid thru Amazon and give that a try if the vinegar don't cut it.

Dave ----

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A pump would probably help as it would cause flow, and therefore agitation, at the top where you know there are deposits.

I will have to take a picture but I pulled the radiator and to keep it safe laid it flat in the bed of the truck.

It took just under a gallon of vinegar to fill it up to the just below the top of the 2 hose outlets.

So far it is not looking like it will do much after being in for 2 hours. I will most likely keep it in for a week or more till I get back out to check & drain it.

I am also going to have wife order the Oxalic Acid thru Amazon and give that a try if the vinegar don't cut it.

Dave ----

I wouldn't think that 2 hours would show any signs of change. But over time and with some agitation it should.

I wouldn't think that 2 hours would show any signs of change. But over time and with some agitation it should.

I will bet the reaction will take at least a week. Vinegar is only 5 % acetic acid; that is a very low concentration of a very weak acid. Given time it will probably work; set it in the sun to warm up and it will happen faster.

If the vinegar doesn't work to your satisfaction, try citric acid, available where canning supplies are sold (Walmart). A solution of 1/2 tablespoon per quart of water will clean the grunge off of brass in short order. That is how I clean my pistol cases for reloading.

I will bet the reaction will take at least a week. Vinegar is only 5 % acetic acid; that is a very low concentration of a very weak acid. Given time it will probably work; set it in the sun to warm up and it will happen faster.

If the vinegar doesn't work to your satisfaction, try citric acid, available where canning supplies are sold (Walmart). A solution of 1/2 tablespoon per quart of water will clean the grunge off of brass in short order. That is how I clean my pistol cases for reloading.

Yes, heat will help a lot. Good point. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yes, heat will help a lot. Good point. :nabble_smiley_good:

Well yesterday it was 98* in the garage and I had both 9' wide doors, a side walk thru door open and 2 box fans going with an outside temp of 91*

Today it was 92* outside, the garage has been closed up so had to be hotter inside the garage.

I will see what I can do of heating it up to help it along.

Dave ----

Well yesterday it was 98* in the garage and I had both 9' wide doors, a side walk thru door open and 2 box fans going with an outside temp of 91*

Today it was 92* outside, the garage has been closed up so had to be hotter inside the garage.

I will see what I can do of heating it up to help it along.

Dave ----

Oxalic Acid used to be sold as a radiator cleaner. It is also used as a cement cleaner, concrete.

Oxalic Acid used to be sold as a radiator cleaner. It is also used as a cement cleaner, concrete.

Little up date.

I checked on it yesterday and saw it had the white stuff sitting at the bottom but still had it at the tubes.

I did take make pick and the white stuff at the tubes and kind of came off.

Because I am lazy it will sit another week before I do anything to it.

Thinking pour out the vinegar (saving the old) and back flush it and see how it looks and go from there.

Dave ----

Little up date.

I checked on it yesterday and saw it had the white stuff sitting at the bottom but still had it at the tubes.

I did take make pick and the white stuff at the tubes and kind of came off.

Because I am lazy it will sit another week before I do anything to it.

Thinking pour out the vinegar (saving the old) and back flush it and see how it looks and go from there.

Dave ----

Another week might be all it needs, especially if it sits out in the sun. And back-flushing is probably a good idea anyway as lots of stuff may be ready to break loose in there.

Another week might be all it needs, especially if it sits out in the sun. And back-flushing is probably a good idea anyway as lots of stuff may be ready to break loose in there.

Update:

It's still soaking been working crazy hours and when I get home being tired and hot out, 90*+ so hotter in the garage.

Then being lazy on the weekend I just left it soaking.

I have also given thought to using CLR if this soaking does not work out but will cross that bridge when I get to it.

Dave ----

Update:

It's still soaking been working crazy hours and when I get home being tired and hot out, 90*+ so hotter in the garage.

Then being lazy on the weekend I just left it soaking.

I have also given thought to using CLR if this soaking does not work out but will cross that bridge when I get to it.

Dave ----

No reason to hurry. Just let it work and then rinse it well.