Bullnose Forums

"Rocky" - 1981 F250 Restoration

taskswap

That battery looks good, but where are you going to put it? My aux battery is under the hood in the factory aux battery position, and the two batteries are tied together using a Cole Hersee smart battery isolator. That way the 3G keeps both of them up to snuff but neither can pull the other down - unless I want it to.

I'm fond of Weather-Pack connectors where I might need a device to be removeable/serviceable (e.g. a blower or light fixture). I do the same as you re: solder, heat shrink (I use the waterproof adhesive type) and wire-loom-tape for permanent connections. Definitely jealous of your hydraulic crimper though. :) I've done a few DIY battery cables but don't bother anymore. There are too many good vendors like batterycablesusa.com that make them any way you want. For the few cables I need...

The battery box will be an accessory for the slide-in camper. It has limited internal space and used to draw straight from the truck or an outside power pole/generator. I'll be adding solar instead, but there's not a lot of room for batteries, charge controllers, inverters, etc. So I'm either going to use a commercial "solar generator" or just make one DIY, and it will live in the empty space in front of the wheel well. (I'll have an access door to get to it in emergencies, but these things are pretty bulletproof.)

That box will have inputs for solar from the camper roof and a DC-DC charge controller from the truck's alternator. The feed from the truck will be isolated like yours. I'm not worried about a second battery for the truck itself - I carry one of those lithium jump packs and they work great for my needs.

This will keep a heavy, less-frequently-used item out of the camper "footprint" and also isolate the camp rig from the truck while still giving me plenty of power. When the camper isn't installed, I can use the battery box for other things.

This is sort of off topic for this forum, but I'm converting the camper to all-electric. The old propane lines are sketchy and I don't trust them safety-wise. The only two things that use propane are the stove and fridge (there's no hot water heater). I'll replace the fridge with one of those new chest-style units the van life folks are switching to, and the stove can run on 1lb bottles.

And, speaking of Pormido, I really like their mirror/camera system, with the exception that they don't have a sealed front camera. But you might be able to use their "front" camera on the inside of the windshield as they intended, and not have to worry about waterproofing it like I am.

However, the tech told me this morning that she is going back to the engineers and push for a version with a waterproof front camera. She's following my Installation Of A Pormido 998 Mirror/Camera System thread and now sees the need for it. (And, hopefully, a more elegant way to mount the mirror.)

Think that camera would still work if you sealed it yourself? People make all kinds of containers for cameras, you might get away with it for a long while if you add any kind of barrier at all. I don't know how big it is but if you don't care about voiding your warranty maybe you can carefully epoxy-pot it, just with a brush, you know? And just tape off the lens while you do it?

Sounds like a well thought out plan. :nabble_smiley_good:

On the camera, how 'bout joining our discussion here? I'd love to have your input.

Right now I'm thinking I'll go with a plastic box that has a clear lid, and maybe later make a better aluminum box for it. However, the Pormido tech told me this morning that she's going back to the engineers and push for a waterproof front camera, so maybe this won't be a long-term problem?

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a well thought out plan. :nabble_smiley_good:

On the camera, how 'bout joining our discussion here? I'd love to have your input.

Right now I'm thinking I'll go with a plastic box that has a clear lid, and maybe later make a better aluminum box for it. However, the Pormido tech told me this morning that she's going back to the engineers and push for a waterproof front camera, so maybe this won't be a long-term problem?

I've been following your install, just haven't had much to add so far! :)

I actually do have an unrelated question. What front bumper/winch tray do you have - did you have it made or buy it? I was originally going to install a front hitch (I have one from another project) but changed my mind when I saw that gorgeous piece of work...

I've been following your install, just haven't had much to add so far! :)

I actually do have an unrelated question. What front bumper/winch tray do you have - did you have it made or buy it? I was originally going to install a front hitch (I have one from another project) but changed my mind when I saw that gorgeous piece of work...

You did have something to add - epoxy coat the front camera. I hadn't thought of that, but kind of doubt that the lens is even sealed. And, the connection is a 3mm plug, so I'd have to gob the epoxy, or liquid rubber, on it as well. Not sure I'm ready to do that, but I'm also not worried about the warranty.

The bumper is from Warn. Was on the truck when I got it, although w/o a winch in it. So I added the 12K Smittybilt unit. Made getting back on the trail in Colorado pretty easy.

You did have something to add - epoxy coat the front camera. I hadn't thought of that, but kind of doubt that the lens is even sealed. And, the connection is a 3mm plug, so I'd have to gob the epoxy, or liquid rubber, on it as well. Not sure I'm ready to do that, but I'm also not worried about the warranty.

The bumper is from Warn. Was on the truck when I got it, although w/o a winch in it. So I added the 12K Smittybilt unit. Made getting back on the trail in Colorado pretty easy.

So far I've been completely unable to find anything listed as fitting an '81, even from Warn. I'm still looking.

Change of subject, I could use some advice on something. This is an exact quote a former owner of my truck sent the guy I bought it from:

You have a jewel of a motor. The motor was built bore and polished and honed heads. Stage 3 cam. Bored .30 over. All Done by western engine supply. Came with a warranty. I added 4 barrel carb high rise intake. All need front end motor parts other than ac and smog pump. ... Only issues I have is that's the 3rd distributor I built it hot and never invested in the MSD distributor.

I've muddled my way through most of the critical stuff on Rocky, but these types of engines predate my driving experience. Is the MSD distributor he's talking about some commonly known item that just happens to be better than usual, or...? I'm putting together a mix of spare parts to replace things likely to fail soon and trying to decide if I should get another distributor now, or research this MSD option... Any thoughts?

So far I've been completely unable to find anything listed as fitting an '81, even from Warn. I'm still looking.

Change of subject, I could use some advice on something. This is an exact quote a former owner of my truck sent the guy I bought it from:

You have a jewel of a motor. The motor was built bore and polished and honed heads. Stage 3 cam. Bored .30 over. All Done by western engine supply. Came with a warranty. I added 4 barrel carb high rise intake. All need front end motor parts other than ac and smog pump. ... Only issues I have is that's the 3rd distributor I built it hot and never invested in the MSD distributor.

I've muddled my way through most of the critical stuff on Rocky, but these types of engines predate my driving experience. Is the MSD distributor he's talking about some commonly known item that just happens to be better than usual, or...? I'm putting together a mix of spare parts to replace things likely to fail soon and trying to decide if I should get another distributor now, or research this MSD option... Any thoughts?

Warn no longer sells that bumper. So about all you can do is look for a used one, and they are few and far between.

As for MSD, that stands for Multiple Spark Discharge, and our resident ignition and carb guru, Bill/85lebaront2, said something like "I don't trust anything that has to do its job several times in order to succeed." :nabble_smiley_evil:

Seriously though, I think that the DS-II system is quite adequate for most engines in these trucks. The only time I'd consider something like an MSD box is if you are racing or have a very high compression ratio.

Basically, if the spark ignites the fuel/air mix there's not anything more that can be done. However, in racing you might want something that has a hotter spark just to ensure the mix lights. And as the compression ratio goes up so does the voltage requirement to get a spark to jump a gap. But the DS-II system is normally quite adequate for most conditions.

Warn no longer sells that bumper. So about all you can do is look for a used one, and they are few and far between.

As for MSD, that stands for Multiple Spark Discharge, and our resident ignition and carb guru, Bill/85lebaront2, said something like "I don't trust anything that has to do its job several times in order to succeed." :nabble_smiley_evil:

Seriously though, I think that the DS-II system is quite adequate for most engines in these trucks. The only time I'd consider something like an MSD box is if you are racing or have a very high compression ratio.

Basically, if the spark ignites the fuel/air mix there's not anything more that can be done. However, in racing you might want something that has a hotter spark just to ensure the mix lights. And as the compression ratio goes up so does the voltage requirement to get a spark to jump a gap. But the DS-II system is normally quite adequate for most conditions.

There is a guy Alan Fenstermaker in Sparta that makes a Warn like bumper. Not Chrome though, bare steel. He is on Facebook, he Runs the Earthquake monster truck. Also does Shaker Racing on You-tube. He is in the Missouri chapter over on FTE if you want to look at some of the bumpers. He can make the mount fit any frame.

There is a guy Alan Fenstermaker in Sparta that makes a Warn like bumper. Not Chrome though, bare steel. He is on Facebook, he Runs the Earthquake monster truck. Also does Shaker Racing on You-tube. He is in the Missouri chapter over on FTE if you want to look at some of the bumpers. He can make the mount fit any frame.

If the goal of the warn bumper is to mount a winch, Id suggest that you could consider building in a front receiver if you are comfortable with fab work. That's what I did and Im happy with mine. It lets you keep the stock look and its cheap if you have the time. Im sure its not as strong as a more tradition setup like the warn. And the warn bumpers do look good..

If the goal of the warn bumper is to mount a winch, Id suggest that you could consider building in a front receiver if you are comfortable with fab work. That's what I did and Im happy with mine. It lets you keep the stock look and its cheap if you have the time. Im sure its not as strong as a more tradition setup like the warn. And the warn bumpers do look good..

Yeah, that was actually my original plan. In fact, I have a front receiver I pulled off a a donor at the junkyard just sitting on the ground in front of my truck! I took a photo a few weeks ago when I was first mulling this over.

receiver-hmmm.jpeg.62b11dfdea11b90c7c885e68219d36a3.jpeg

The thing making me reconsider is most of the time I'm using the truck I'll have a camper installed in it. There isn't a ton of room to carry extra, bulky "stuff" like winches. I seem to use my winch several times a year, and the receiver is pretty junky so I started thinking maybe I should research better options.

We'll see.

It's been very cold out which stopped "easy tasks" like painting parts, and I've been working my butt off getting some work projects done before year-end. But the main reason progress halted (mostly) for a week now is parts. Or rather, the shipping and receiving of parts. I've largely found what I need but either something takes 2 weeks to arrive or when it does, there's a problem.

Today I got a goodies box from LMC with my new steering wheel mounting kit but it was missing one of the plates in the kit. I got the seat belt harnesses but found I'd ordered two pairs of left/right sets instead of a left/right set and a center. And after a week of waiting, I FINALLY got the rubber door wiring loom tubes I wanted to use to protect my new door lock and speaker wires... but couldn't find all the parts I'd set aside to finalize that piece.

So it's basically 12 projects going in parallel all over the place, nothing getting finished. I'm sure I'm singing to the choir. http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/laughing-25-x-25_orig.gif

Still, I did manage to get a few tiny projects done. The chrome rear-view mirror (which I LOVE) came, so I threw that on the windshield. I traced out a few mystery wires (took me half an hour to identify the "digital clock" wire but I sorted it out in the end). And I finished the loom for the A/C system:

ac-harness.jpeg.6cf0edadb855fbf19dcfb330ad219a4e.jpeg

It's a terrible pic, but everything came out nice except my handwriting.

We have family stuff tomorrow but I hope to get a few small tasks done. If I can get the wiring holes to the doors cleaned up and the rubber looms installed I would be VERY happy, and I'll also try to get the connectors for this A/C harness installed on the "vehicle" side of the system.

I'm pushing to get the wiring done because it's holding literally everything else up. With any luck, I'll be able to start getting into "finalizing the interior" over the next 2 weeks

Yeah, that was actually my original plan. In fact, I have a front receiver I pulled off a a donor at the junkyard just sitting on the ground in front of my truck! I took a photo a few weeks ago when I was first mulling this over.

The thing making me reconsider is most of the time I'm using the truck I'll have a camper installed in it. There isn't a ton of room to carry extra, bulky "stuff" like winches. I seem to use my winch several times a year, and the receiver is pretty junky so I started thinking maybe I should research better options.

We'll see.

It's been very cold out which stopped "easy tasks" like painting parts, and I've been working my butt off getting some work projects done before year-end. But the main reason progress halted (mostly) for a week now is parts. Or rather, the shipping and receiving of parts. I've largely found what I need but either something takes 2 weeks to arrive or when it does, there's a problem.

Today I got a goodies box from LMC with my new steering wheel mounting kit but it was missing one of the plates in the kit. I got the seat belt harnesses but found I'd ordered two pairs of left/right sets instead of a left/right set and a center. And after a week of waiting, I FINALLY got the rubber door wiring loom tubes I wanted to use to protect my new door lock and speaker wires... but couldn't find all the parts I'd set aside to finalize that piece.

So it's basically 12 projects going in parallel all over the place, nothing getting finished. I'm sure I'm singing to the choir. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Still, I did manage to get a few tiny projects done. The chrome rear-view mirror (which I LOVE) came, so I threw that on the windshield. I traced out a few mystery wires (took me half an hour to identify the "digital clock" wire but I sorted it out in the end). And I finished the loom for the A/C system:

It's a terrible pic, but everything came out nice except my handwriting.

We have family stuff tomorrow but I hope to get a few small tasks done. If I can get the wiring holes to the doors cleaned up and the rubber looms installed I would be VERY happy, and I'll also try to get the connectors for this A/C harness installed on the "vehicle" side of the system.

I'm pushing to get the wiring done because it's holding literally everything else up. With any luck, I'll be able to start getting into "finalizing the interior" over the next 2 weeks

Even though I have the Warn bumper I did think about having a winch in a receiver, and I came to the conclusion I wouldn't like the look of it stuck out ahead of the bumper. And I didn't want to store it in the bed, so it had to ride in one of the two receivers. In the end using the Warn bumper was the decision, and I'm really glad as it works very nicely and it looks good.

Bummer on getting the wrong parts, or not all of the right parts. I've been fortunate of late that my shipments have been on time or, in some cases, a day early. But if you get the wrong parts a day early it doesn't help. Hope you get that sorted.

The wiring harness looks great! And who cares about the writing - you can read it and that's all that matters. :nabble_smiley_good:

Even though I have the Warn bumper I did think about having a winch in a receiver, and I came to the conclusion I wouldn't like the look of it stuck out ahead of the bumper. And I didn't want to store it in the bed, so it had to ride in one of the two receivers. In the end using the Warn bumper was the decision, and I'm really glad as it works very nicely and it looks good.

Bummer on getting the wrong parts, or not all of the right parts. I've been fortunate of late that my shipments have been on time or, in some cases, a day early. But if you get the wrong parts a day early it doesn't help. Hope you get that sorted.

The wiring harness looks great! And who cares about the writing - you can read it and that's all that matters. :nabble_smiley_good:

It was a good day / bad day. You take things as they come.

My goal today was to finish all the door wiring to get the panels mounted, and get some behind-dash wiring done so I could start re-mounting the dash. I fell way short of that but did get a lot done.

torn-apart.jpg.759808784e96cf23010724cf4ad34914.jpg

First decision was the locks. I have the slide locks, and like some others I see on this forum, I've decided to keep them because they're rare and cool. I'm fortunate because I have both the left and right side trim pieces. I'm just missing the black inner slider, rear plate, and metal retainers (for both - mine were held in with zip ties looped around the rear of the body, with actually seemed to work really well).

I know there was a thread here on metal casting these but it seems like that died, and I don't need that trim piece anyway. My plan is to keep the slide locks but not install them. Instead, I'll be installing an aftermarket electric door lock kit, and I did replace the door cylinders so I have door keys now. I'll just live with locking both sides with a key for now, or using the transmitter. I'll watch Fleabay and other sites (Dennis Carpenter) and hope, and if next summer rolls around and I get bored, I may give a go of 3D printing the parts I need myself.

The rest of the wiring proceeded, just not as fast as I'd hoped. I managed to use a step drill bit and extension to widen the door holes the past owner apparently punched in with a screwdriver. I got some rubber wire door loom tubes but they weren't long enough to reach from the door to the factory grommet/hole in the truck body, so I spent time fussing with that. I guess I can call the doors "wired" - I'm not as thrilled with the final setup as I'd like to be, but it's still better than the hash that was there before.

I also added the Weather-Pack plug on the A/C blower motor to match the harness I made up. Weather-Pack fittings are way overkill for an interior plug but I had the tool and components handy so why not. Better than the old setup, which had the ground wire just wrapped around a nearby screw head, bare, and some of the wires just twisted together and taped:

bad-wiring.jpg.bda0ef0f18cff092dec7c0872869c2c4.jpg

When I got the truck, opening the door didn't turn on the dome light. The bulb was fine so I figured I may as well try replacing the switch. They were pretty cheap at LMC. But they were also the wrong switch. There's a quarter-inch length difference between the old and new one that prevents the door from closing. Not sure what to do about this. I can't just test the switch and leave the old if it's still working, because I'm missing the one on the right side anyway. Maybe another ebay find...

different-switch.thumb.jpg.b03f3e2cfb615317136294a27fe69721.jpg