Bullnose Forums

new gas tank brands - which is best?

delco1946

be practical. when you are replacing any tank(s) replace the fill hoses also. you may also look for any options for tank assembly to get the sender units too. one usually lasts about as long as the other .

When I was putting my truck back together I did replace the 2 sending units.

As you would know a few months after the truck was on the road the rear tank sender stop working.

The new float sunk so I used the old sender float and been good for 2 years now.

I wished I had taken the time to replace the filler neck/hose assemblies when I replaced my tanks.

They looked alright when I replaced the tanks, and finding parts was a pain, so I left them.

Fast forward five or six years and the tanks are in fine shape but the filler assemblies leak if the tanks are more than 3/4 full and I'm on a grade.

I did not replace my fill hoses but then again they dont make the rear one for my truck as it never came with a rear tank.

As you would know it that is the one the leaks when filing :nabble_smiley_cry:

Some day I will look into fixing it.

Dave ----

I've installed new Spectra tanks and Spectra sending units in two Bullnoses, and they seemed decent. I know Spectra is headquartered in Canada, but I don't know if they still actually make the tanks here or not. The one I bought in 2018 had a Made In Canada sticker on it.

I've installed new Spectra tanks and Spectra sending units in two Bullnoses, and they seemed decent. I know Spectra is headquartered in Canada, but I don't know if they still actually make the tanks here or not. The one I bought in 2018 had a Made In Canada sticker on it.

For what it's worth, I bought a Spectra Premium oil pan not long ago which I also think is decently made.

I'm always a little skeptical about the factory paint on parts like this. Not that there any obvious defects, but for on something which will be exposed to some pretty harsh conditions it will take a good coating to last.

I did not replace my fill hoses but then again they dont make the rear one for my truck as it never came with a rear tank.

Dave ----

We have the beds off several pickups right now. I was looking at them pondering how to resolve the fill hose issue on Spartacus, a 97 Aeronose that is getting a Bullnose front clip (thread is here somewhere). It looks like you'd have to bend the top of the frame rail down, or the bed up, to get enough clearance to stop pinching that rear tank fill hose. The 350 frame is pretty stout so bending the bed makes more sense. Maybe a 150 frame would be easier to mod.

What we've done on flatbeds is put the filler right on the top of the deck.

fyi

Dave ----

We have the beds off several pickups right now. I was looking at them pondering how to resolve the fill hose issue on Spartacus, a 97 Aeronose that is getting a Bullnose front clip (thread is here somewhere). It looks like you'd have to bend the top of the frame rail down, or the bed up, to get enough clearance to stop pinching that rear tank fill hose. The 350 frame is pretty stout so bending the bed makes more sense. Maybe a 150 frame would be easier to mod.

fyi

i have not had that issue but then i have not restored flat beds

i have not had that issue but then i have not restored flat beds

Thinking about all the other do-dads i'll need for new tanks. Do the vents typically go bad? Rock Auto only has one available, and doesn't specify what it fits/years, etc so that makes me think one size fits all types and sizes of tanks (?). (part # E7DZ9B593A, J5360058)

The part number seems to match up with what is under the documentation. :nabble_anim_working:

fuel_vent.png.44f4f57ca8effb5d110aa00370420419.png

Dave ----

fyi

With the 87 you should not have the fill issue we have on the 80 - 86 trucks as the fix for them is to use the later fill pipe system.

I dont have any issues filling my 2 tanks as when I put them back in I amde sure the inner tubes were installeduld be from the factory.

The rear tank on my flare side was never an option so I used parts from my parts truck rear tank and had to make mods to work and look factory.

Thinking about all the other do-dads i'll need for new tanks. Do the vents typically go bad? Rock Auto only has one available, and doesn't specify what it fits/years, etc so that makes me think one size fits all types and sizes of tanks (?). (part # E7DZ9B593A, J5360058)

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n109217/fuel_vent.png

I believe that roll over valve isthe same on all trucks.

The reason I replaced mine (2) was with age.

1 had the nipple broken and felt if 1 (of 3 I could use) was the others may break.

Also the rubber seal was loose so that was replaced on both tanks.

IIRC I got the valves & seals from LMC.

I used a little grease to get the valve in the rubber seal that was put in the tank first IIRC.

Dave ----