Bullnose Forums

Choke Question, what would you do?

FuzzFace2

Sounds like you got pretty close. :nabble_anim_claps:

Or got lucky :nabble_smiley_wink:

Took to work again today, 1am 34°f and worked great.

I need to find time to look into the pinging at load. Still have a little with vacuum disconnected & plugged.

Dave ----

Glad you have the choke working well. But it sounds like you have too much initial advance. Or you have too much centrifugal.

At what RPM does it ping?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you have the choke working well. But it sounds like you have too much initial advance. Or you have too much centrifugal.

At WOT now I would say anything above 1500 rpm

I get a little at 1500 rpm and lower, truck will pull from 1000 rpm, but I back out of it not to hurt the motor. That is with vacuum advance disconnected.

It was really bad when hooked up.

I need to throw a light on it again to get the numbers as I don't remember them but think it is set to 14 BTDC.

At 16 BTDC pinging was really really bad.

If ibackeddown to 10 BTDC I had to crank it more before it would start / run, now I just tap the key and it fires right up.

Dave ----

At WOT now I would say anything above 1500 rpm

I get a little at 1500 rpm and lower, truck will pull from 1000 rpm, but I back out of it not to hurt the motor. That is with vacuum advance disconnected.

It was really bad when hooked up.

I need to throw a light on it again to get the numbers as I don't remember them but think it is set to 14 BTDC.

At 16 BTDC pinging was really really bad.

If ibackeddown to 10 BTDC I had to crank it more before it would start / run, now I just tap the key and it fires right up.

Dave ----

Sounds like the springs are really light in the centrifugal advance. Check timing by running the R's up a couple of hundred at a time from idle and we can compare to what we found on David/1986F150Six's engine a few years ago. We got it dialed in nicely.

Sounds like the springs are really light in the centrifugal advance. Check timing by running the R's up a couple of hundred at a time from idle and we can compare to what we found on David/1986F150Six's engine a few years ago. We got it dialed in nicely.

Just got to find the time.

Been at work 2am and still have 3+ hours then a hour drive home.

I was going to look for that post also when I had time just to see what he had.

I also want to see what Motor's manual has listed for my truck.

Between the 2 I should have a good starting place.

I was looking for spring / weight kits bur kept coming up with GM parts even with the truck or motor listed?

I hate to get into the distributor and not have parts on hand.

Dave ----

Just got to find the time.

Been at work 2am and still have 3+ hours then a hour drive home.

I was going to look for that post also when I had time just to see what he had.

I also want to see what Motor's manual has listed for my truck.

Between the 2 I should have a good starting place.

I was looking for spring / weight kits bur kept coming up with GM parts even with the truck or motor listed?

I hate to get into the distributor and not have parts on hand.

Dave ----

You might be looking for David's Gas Mileage Recipe thread on FTE, and more specifically this post therein.