Bullnose Forums

Choke Question, what would you do?

FuzzFace2

Dave,

In that pile of YFA stuff that I gave you the other day, wasn’t there an electric choke cap?

If not, I have one on my shelf.

There might be and I meant to look to see what all is in the box as I have yet to do that :nabble_smiley_blush:

But I have an up date:

I spent some time on the choke today.

I wanted to swap the temp sensor in the air filter that works the snout hot air valve.

I did that but I think the valve is no good as I have vacuum at the valve :nabble_smiley_angry:

I routed the cold air side of the hot air asst. in close to the motor & manifolds.

I think with it kind of out it the open it was getting too cold and any heat picked up after that point was just not enough.

I was going to add to the copper and make a few more loops around the exh manifold but I did not have a good way to join more tubing to what was on the truck but ..........

I picked up header wrap the other day and wrapped 7.5 feet of 15 feet around the manifold and tubing.

I can tell you the hot air tube dose get HOT at the choke so I am happy on that.

In testing the tube was getting hot and so was the electric cap as I could feel that getting hot so both are working as they should.

I also know the choke is opening all the way even before I started the mods as I had the air filter off as I was checking for oil leak after I changed the oil PSI sender.

It was also 70*f out and the choked worked good if the temp was above 45*f, I just dont know when it may get below that temp again for testing?

So till it gets cold again I will be using the truck as it is now.

Dave ----

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave,

In that pile of YFA stuff that I gave you the other day, wasn’t there an electric choke cap?

If not, I have one on my shelf.

There might be and I meant to look to see what all is in the box as I have yet to do that :nabble_smiley_blush:

But I have an up date:

I spent some time on the choke today.

I wanted to swap the temp sensor in the air filter that works the snout hot air valve.

I did that but I think the valve is no good as I have vacuum at the valve :nabble_smiley_angry:

I routed the cold air side of the hot air asst. in close to the motor & manifolds.

I think with it kind of out it the open it was getting too cold and any heat picked up after that point was just not enough.

I was going to add to the copper and make a few more loops around the exh manifold but I did not have a good way to join more tubing to what was on the truck but ..........

I picked up header wrap the other day and wrapped 7.5 feet of 15 feet around the manifold and tubing.

I can tell you the hot air tube dose get HOT at the choke so I am happy on that.

In testing the tube was getting hot and so was the electric cap as I could feel that getting hot so both are working as they should.

I also know the choke is opening all the way even before I started the mods as I had the air filter off as I was checking for oil leak after I changed the oil PSI sender.

It was also 70*f out and the choked worked good if the temp was above 45*f, I just dont know when it may get below that temp again for testing?

So till it gets cold again I will be using the truck as it is now.

Dave ----

Good luck. Hopefully this solved your problem. :nabble_smiley_good:

Good luck. Hopefully this solved your problem. :nabble_smiley_good:

Me too.

I could not test it this morning as I left the truck at work and brought home the work truck with a load that had to be delivered at 7am 3 hours away.

It also was still to warm buts Temps are dropping.

Dave ----

Me too.

I could not test it this morning as I left the truck at work and brought home the work truck with a load that had to be delivered at 7am 3 hours away.

It also was still to warm buts Temps are dropping.

Dave ----

I have used the copper tubing wrapped around the EFI manifold on a300-6 for years with good results; I also use the stock Ford electric choke connected to the stator. I am a firm believer in having ALL of the stock air cleaner system in place and fully funtional on a 300-6 with a Carter YF carb. I have never been able to obtain best results without it.

Whenever possible, I like to adjust the choke on a nice 70 degree day with a stone-cold engine (not having been started since the day before) and have it not quite, but almost, close the choke butterfly; this seems to give me the best results.

YMMV.

Good luck!

I have used the copper tubing wrapped around the EFI manifold on a300-6 for years with good results; I also use the stock Ford electric choke connected to the stator. I am a firm believer in having ALL of the stock air cleaner system in place and fully funtional on a 300-6 with a Carter YF carb. I have never been able to obtain best results without it.

Whenever possible, I like to adjust the choke on a nice 70 degree day with a stone-cold engine (not having been started since the day before) and have it not quite, but almost, close the choke butterfly; this seems to give me the best results.

YMMV.

Good luck!

Thanks Les

I am still fixing the air filter side as I just found it was not working as it should.

It may be a bit before it gets below 45° here.

Next few days lows are about mid 40's mid to high 50's during the day Saturday going to be mid 70's :nabble_anim_crazy:

Will keep posted what happens.

Dave. ----

YMMV.

Good luck!

Thanks Les

I am still fixing the air filter side as I just found it was not working as it should.

It may be a bit before it gets below 45° here.

Next few days lows are about mid 40's mid to high 50's during the day Saturday going to be mid 70's :nabble_anim_crazy:

Will keep posted what happens.

Dave. ----

Well it was 28°f when I left for work today.

Normally truck is parked in the house garage, unheated. I start it with 1 pump not even to the floor to set the choke and it fires right up.

I back it out and let it run as I grab the rest of my work stuff and hit the John 1 last time, old man here LOL

When I get out to the truck the the fast idle goes from about 1000 rpm to about 1200 rpm, 1 tap of the pedal and it dropped to about 800 rpm, normal speed.

I was able to dive it like it was up to full temp even if it was not and the idle speed stayed low at the light 1/4 mile up the road.

I took back roads o ly because of the time, rust hour and highway is stop & go most of the way.

I got to say the choke stayed open for the whole drive, just under 40 miles.

I would say leaning out the choke and wrapping the tubes & manifold with header wrap to keep the heat in did the trick.

I still would like to get the snorkel valve work at some point but has dropped down the list some.

Still testing but might be as good as it gets.

Dave ----

Normally truck is parked in the house garage, unheated. I start it with 1 pump not even to the floor to set the choke and it fires right up.

I back it out and let it run as I grab the rest of my work stuff and hit the John 1 last time, old man here LOL

When I get out to the truck the the fast idle goes from about 1000 rpm to about 1200 rpm, 1 tap of the pedal and it dropped to about 800 rpm, normal speed.

I was able to dive it like it was up to full temp even if it was not and the idle speed stayed low at the light 1/4 mile up the road.

I took back roads o ly because of the time, rust hour and highway is stop & go most of the way.

I would say leaning out the choke and wrapping the tubes & manifold with header wrap to keep the heat in did the trick.

I still would like to get the snorkel valve work at some point but has dropped down the list some.

Dave ----

Sounds like you got pretty close. :nabble_anim_claps:

Dave ----

Sounding better. Going through that myself with my 302.