Bullnose Forums

Fresh paint on my 300!

technically correct? 20 years ago when i rebuilt my 300 i looked at it like a tractor engine and painted it john deere yellow. i would never do that today. i have become more simple about these . i have a rule for this on my trucks now. fuel injected get ford gray and carb engines get ford blue. i prefer the traditional look even if the internals are modified. i do sometimes use the hei conversion some simply because it just plain works.

I had a Carbureted 86 F150 with a gray 300, and this 85 that I am building, the engine was also gray,

but I like the Ford Blue much better!

I had a Carbureted 86 F150 with a gray 300, and this 85 that I am building, the engine was also gray,

but I like the Ford Blue much better!

From what I seen posted the early years of the 80 - 86 trucks were blue and the later years gray.

The motor in my 1981 truck, not the motor the truck left the factory with, was gray and did not like that color so did it in blue also.

20160528_175115.jpg.c8d367daa392b391466bc4aae9acfb9a.jpg

20200222_154835-01.jpg.44b98dc24708bd344e57f13fd7247bf3.jpg

Dave ----

From what I seen posted the early years of the 80 - 86 trucks were blue and the later years gray.

The motor in my 1981 truck, not the motor the truck left the factory with, was gray and did not like that color so did it in blue also.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n107511/20160528_175115.jpg

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n107511/20200222_154835-01.jpg

Dave ----

Should be correct. 83 I think was the cross over year, for 82 the distributor cap adapter only comes in blue which was used with blue engines, grey/black was used on grey/black engines the way I hear it.

My engine was a replacement block but everything else is original to the truck and it always was dark corporate blue and the same thing I am doing to my F1SE block that I am back dating to work with my 82.

Dave ----

That's a Great looking engine and trans, I'm putting a 4 speed in mine as well!

Beautiful, Jeff! Nice job.

I did a head-ectormy on my (gray) 300 two days ago and that baby is a hernia maker! Does anyone know what a complete engine weighs?

I do know that a raw 300 block can be lifted with two guys... Fully built up mine was making the engine stand bounce... She was heavy!

What makes the head a pain is the size and positioning when removing in-the-truck... if I ever needed to pull mine (in-the-truck), I'd probably use my engine hoist... It was bad enough removing it on a stand!