Bullnose Forums

The Deuce Build Thread

Pete Whitstone

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was aware that LMC sold some of the components, but critical ones are missing. The door and the "tub" behind the door are shown in those diagrams, but don't appear to be available.

I had an '85 F-250 that had that problem when filling up with gas on both tanks. I "solved" my problem by keeping a short piece of 4by6 with an angle cut on one end so I could drive up on it after putting it in front of the right rear tire. Iwas then able to set the gas nozzle on the first stop and then wait for the tank to get filled. You might try that and see if it helps until you can solve the issue.

I was aware that LMC sold some of the components, but critical ones are missing. The door and the "tub" behind the door are shown in those diagrams, but don't appear to be available.

Besides NA from LMC for a flare side the door and box / bucket has to be for a flare side as they are different between flare & style sides.

20180429_120013.jpg.9ad85c4dcafbc359e774896a76d9f9c2.jpg

20180429_115955.jpg.78a1c196c2b2c28cfe5580ba522034b6.jpg

20180429_115916.jpg.19c8b4d0b24057b863c9f6e307dd3b1e.jpg

The top door / silver (smaller, curved) is from a style side. the brown(larger, flat) is the flare side.

Because the doors size different the bolt hole spacing & box / bucket is also different.

If you can find Ford part numbers for the flare side door & box / bucket maybe you can find them from a dealer, also check ebay.

Dave ----

Besides NA from LMC for a flare side the door and box / bucket has to be for a flare side as they are different between flare & style sides.

The top door / silver (smaller, curved) is from a style side. the brown(larger, flat) is the flare side.

Because the doors size different the bolt hole spacing & box / bucket is also different.

If you can find Ford part numbers for the flare side door & box / bucket maybe you can find them from a dealer, also check ebay.

Dave ----

The other thing is to cut your fender / door from the front and cut the same size out of the rear you can then just swap the 2 front to rear.

This way you have the right size / shape door and the part cut out can be used as a filler part at the front.

The first cut is the hardest :nabble_smiley_oh:

20180428_131324.jpg.745d06e3f0e5fbc8b8401e4ca681e53e.jpg

20180428_131438.jpg.d30b3033b947119e33fef2770fbc0f9e.jpg

Now I did not try this but wonder if you could flatten the style side door to fit the flare side fender?

Before I knew the doors were different my plan was to use the style side doors from my parts truck.

Dave ----

Now I did not try this but wonder if you could flatten the style side door to fit the flare side fender?

Before I knew the doors were different my plan was to use the style side doors from my parts truck.

Dave ----

This is exactly what I ended up doing. The 95 donor truck had a number of bullet holes in the front gas tank door, but the tub behind it was ok, one major bullet dent and one through-hole, but nothing that affected its functionality. So I got a new filler neck and gas cap from Bronco Graveyard and put it all together. Ford purists look away now.

I cut the donor gas filler tub from the '95, cut a hole in the flareside fender, and used some 3m panel bonding adhesive to stick the tub back there. Of course, this set it in a little deeper than normal, so where the filler door attaches I moved the holes forward by that amount so the door would sit roughly flush. Sourced a fuel door from eBay. Finished it off with some fauxtina spray bomb paint, which is too shiny now but will look right at home in a couple months.

Yeah it's kind of crude, and it sits up higher than a normal filler door. I was concerned that if it was lower, the gas could slosh on a corner and out the filler tube. Plus, where it landed was kind of dictated by the filler neck I bought. Anyhow, took it to the gas station and put the pump on full blast and it did not click off until it should have, which is a vast improvement over the side tank. I imagine I will glass over the front door eventually but it's not a high priority right now. And if I ever get serious about the truck cosmetically (kinda doubtful) then I will do a better job of shaping the opening to match the door.

IMG_3788.jpg.83a0f2f4ebbe56f2e16e8fbc7aadba2c.jpg

IMG_3789.jpg.f16b8ff3f399b88640b2c8669fca0b77.jpg

Dave ----

This is exactly what I ended up doing. The 95 donor truck had a number of bullet holes in the front gas tank door, but the tub behind it was ok, one major bullet dent and one through-hole, but nothing that affected its functionality. So I got a new filler neck and gas cap from Bronco Graveyard and put it all together. Ford purists look away now.

I cut the donor gas filler tub from the '95, cut a hole in the flareside fender, and used some 3m panel bonding adhesive to stick the tub back there. Of course, this set it in a little deeper than normal, so where the filler door attaches I moved the holes forward by that amount so the door would sit roughly flush. Sourced a fuel door from eBay. Finished it off with some fauxtina spray bomb paint, which is too shiny now but will look right at home in a couple months.

Yeah it's kind of crude, and it sits up higher than a normal filler door. I was concerned that if it was lower, the gas could slosh on a corner and out the filler tube. Plus, where it landed was kind of dictated by the filler neck I bought. Anyhow, took it to the gas station and put the pump on full blast and it did not click off until it should have, which is a vast improvement over the side tank. I imagine I will glass over the front door eventually but it's not a high priority right now. And if I ever get serious about the truck cosmetically (kinda doubtful) then I will do a better job of shaping the opening to match the door.

Looks good, Pete. And the fact that it works so well makes it perfect. :nabble_anim_claps: