Bullnose Forums

The Deuce Build Thread

Pete Whitstone

I decided to go with an electronic speedometer rather than a mechanical unit. The 92" cable I switched to, rather than the 2 piece, came a few inches short and so I would have had to deal with extending it somehow. And I am about to change the rear end ratio, and would have to deal with changing the speedo gears... and in the future I may want larger tires... with all those things considered, it was easier just to install an electrical one rather than mess with cables and gears. I got basically the same speedo as I had, just the electrical sender version. So now I didn't need the speedo cable (I've got a small collection of them, if anyone needs one), and I removed it from the truck. However, that left the end of the sender open, and I didn't like that. So I fired up the lathe, starting with a piece of .625 aluminum, and turned an analog for the cable end. Here it is in mid-development.

After finishing it and parting it off, I added the O-ring from the speedo cable and installed it.

Plugged it back into the transfer case tail shaft housing and called it good. Now the sender should not have any whip or resistance to make it read weird, but I haven't had a chance to test that yet. Instead I dove into getting the pumpkin out for the new gears. Got it out and on the bench.

And started breaking it into its subcomponents.

The gear oil was smelly and thin-chocolate-milkshake looking. Probably some water in there.

Teardown went well except for the yoke. When I pressed it out of the pinion carrier housing, parts of it stuck with the yoke. Specifically, the bearing, front seal, and what I think might be the oil slinger. This is what it looks like after I tore off the seal.

The triangular thing on top is what's left of the bearing. The weird thing is, at this point the entire thing appears to be one solid piece. I can't find a parting line anywhere on the thing. I know the bearing comes off, but I can't find where they separate. Got to do some more research on that. I'll start on the assembly of the rest tomorrow.

I think your plan on the electronic speedo is a good one. And I like the plug. :nabble_anim_claps:

But that pinion looks like a problem. You may have to heat that bearing.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think your plan on the electronic speedo is a good one. And I like the plug. :nabble_anim_claps:

But that pinion looks like a problem. You may have to heat that bearing.

Well I didn't have to heat it, but it was a very weird situation. I was thinking that one part was someone inside the other, like with a press fit. That was not the case. The triangular bearing piece, the oil slinger, and the yoke were all stacked on top of one another. It took several tons of pressure from the press to separate them, and they separated fairly dramatically.

After they came apart, I was looking at the top of the yoke where they were joined. Part of the oil slinger, about 90% of the circle of it, remained on the yoke. At first I thought the yoke had broken, rather than separated. But then I realized that the oil slinger was fused to both the bearing inner and the yoke. The 10% that stayed with the bearing inner looked permanently fused as well.

I'm not sure what occurred here. I can't imagine that the torquing of the pinion nut would have generated the pressures to perform this fusion. Possibly heat on the bearing from lack of lubrication? The o-ring in the pinion had a leak and I'm sure it got low at some point in the past. But that theory doesn't really add up either, as no part of the bearing looked heat-damaged.

I should have gotten a picture of it before I cleaned the remaining slinger off the yoke end with the belt sander...

Well I didn't have to heat it, but it was a very weird situation. I was thinking that one part was someone inside the other, like with a press fit. That was not the case. The triangular bearing piece, the oil slinger, and the yoke were all stacked on top of one another. It took several tons of pressure from the press to separate them, and they separated fairly dramatically.

After they came apart, I was looking at the top of the yoke where they were joined. Part of the oil slinger, about 90% of the circle of it, remained on the yoke. At first I thought the yoke had broken, rather than separated. But then I realized that the oil slinger was fused to both the bearing inner and the yoke. The 10% that stayed with the bearing inner looked permanently fused as well.

I'm not sure what occurred here. I can't imagine that the torquing of the pinion nut would have generated the pressures to perform this fusion. Possibly heat on the bearing from lack of lubrication? The o-ring in the pinion had a leak and I'm sure it got low at some point in the past. But that theory doesn't really add up either, as no part of the bearing looked heat-damaged.

I should have gotten a picture of it before I cleaned the remaining slinger off the yoke end with the belt sander...

I think what you are calling a slinger is part of the pinion yoke and dose not come off.

Have you tried looking for that slinger?

You won't find one as it dode not come off.

The inner race of the bearing should come off. If you ground a slot in it then took a hammer & chisel it should have split and came right off.

Dave ----

I think what you are calling a slinger is part of the pinion yoke and dose not come off.

Have you tried looking for that slinger?

You won't find one as it dode not come off.

The inner race of the bearing should come off. If you ground a slot in it then took a hammer & chisel it should have split and came right off.

Dave ----

I looked at the assembly very closely to see where the parting line between the subcomponents was. The only one I could find was about an inch down inside the bearing inner piece, which corresponded with the bottom of that piece and the location of the piece I am calling the oil slinger.

I ordered a new oil slinger yesterday from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, item 22291. I saw a lot of different ones on ebay and other sites.

Here is what the yoke now looks like:

IMG_3304.jpg.4349efafda9f2789714c4d0b6d6ff384.jpg

IMG_3305.jpg.eaed19d06cf58fb168d217b13ec0f1b5.jpg

Which seems to closely agree with images I see on other sites, this one for example:

https://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/c58_ford_9_inch.html

and here is what the slinger piece from my truck looks like now:

IMG_3306.jpg.0e43e3108fdb716794378f6d21ae3106.jpg

It's just a piece of sheet metal, it does not look to me like anything that was originally cast into the yoke. Later this week when the new slinger comes in, I'll compare the two. But it sure looks like the piece that is referred to as "the oil slinger" 25 seconds into this video on rebuilding a 9 inch.

Then there's the disassembly video from the same series, which takes the part out at the 12:48 mark. It's location would be between the yoke and the bearing.

The only thing that concerns me about the yoke is the groove in it, apparently worn in there by the front pinion seal. That might be a leak point.

I looked at the assembly very closely to see where the parting line between the subcomponents was. The only one I could find was about an inch down inside the bearing inner piece, which corresponded with the bottom of that piece and the location of the piece I am calling the oil slinger.

I ordered a new oil slinger yesterday from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, item 22291. I saw a lot of different ones on ebay and other sites.

Which seems to closely agree with images I see on other sites, this one for example:

It's just a piece of sheet metal, it does not look to me like anything that was originally cast into the yoke. Later this week when the new slinger comes in, I'll compare the two. But it sure looks like the piece that is referred to as "the oil slinger" 25 seconds into this video on rebuilding a 9 inch.

Then there's the disassembly video from the same series, which takes the part out at the 12:48 mark. It's location would be between the yoke and the bearing.

The only thing that concerns me about the yoke is the groove in it, apparently worn in there by the front pinion seal. That might be a leak point.

What I would call the slinger is that yellow part dont know what that washer thing is :nabble_anim_confused:

I also did not check out any of the links :nabble_smiley_blush:

I was thinking the same thing on the groove ........ its not groovy man:nabble_smiley_angry:

Dave ----

What I would call the slinger is that yellow part dont know what that washer thing is :nabble_anim_confused:

I also did not check out any of the links :nabble_smiley_blush:

I was thinking the same thing on the groove ........ its not groovy man:nabble_smiley_angry:

Dave ----

the plastic collar is actually a deflector type shield to help keep dirt and debris from the yoke/pinion seal. it is external. the oil slinger resides just inside the case between the bearing and the seal to keep presurized oil from the seal itself. of course, the differential has no pump or resultant pressure but much like the way a timing chain cover can leak at the top, oil slung at a seam or seal directly enough can cause a leak

the plastic collar is actually a deflector type shield to help keep dirt and debris from the yoke/pinion seal. it is external. the oil slinger resides just inside the case between the bearing and the seal to keep presurized oil from the seal itself. of course, the differential has no pump or resultant pressure but much like the way a timing chain cover can leak at the top, oil slung at a seam or seal directly enough can cause a leak

Thanks for that clarification, Mat. I was kind of puzzled why it was called an oil "slinger" when a) it is not in an area I would expect much oil in; and b) it has no scoops capable of slinging.

Calling it an "oil retention ring" or something like that would make a lot more sense.

Thanks for that clarification, Mat. I was kind of puzzled why it was called an oil "slinger" when a) it is not in an area I would expect much oil in; and b) it has no scoops capable of slinging.

Calling it an "oil retention ring" or something like that would make a lot more sense.

its actually more of a splash guard/ shield. but what happens when you spin it? it slings. some engines even have them between the crank timing chain gear and the damper to deflect oil from the front crank seal.

• 2 weeks later...

Minor project update. I got all the parts in, got the rear end set up with the gear manufacturers recommended backlash (.008-.010, landed right in the middle), and got everything installed.

Some problems along the way:

- One of the axles was clearly not from an F150, the OD on the bearing area was at least .030" too small, and there were other weird differences as well. Had to source a new Yukon Gear axle from Summit.

- I had ordered 2 sets of "Timken SET20" bearings and lock rings from Amazon. One went on fine. The other, the bearing went on fine but the locking ring measured about .004" smaller than the axle shaft. Since the bearing pressed on without drama, the locking ring had to be at fault. Ordered another set from Amazon, same thing. My press (20 ton) could only get the lock ring about halfway onto the axle shaft. .004" does not sound like a lot, but that's way too much for an interference press fit. Chucked it on the lathe and very carefully took out a couple thou, then it pressed normally onto the shaft.

- The limited slip I installed (Speedmaster PCE204.1002) had some warnings on the box about proper fluids that were kind of cryptic, they said "mineral oil based, EP140, no split grades such as 85/140". I did some internet searching and didn't turn up much, so I called Speedmaster. They said they spec'd that diff around Lucas 10431, so the search was on. I have a Summit in the same city as me, so basically one day shipping, but they were out of it. Other places were also out of it, but finally found 1 jug left at Jegs. Ordered it up, waited 5 days, and received some SAE 50 Plus... ugh. Starting to remember why I stopped using Jegs... got all that straightened out and got the right stuff yesterday. It's basically green pudding in a plastic jug. Got it in the diff and was ready for test driving.

First, I wanted to make sure the 4wd was working, so with the rear still on jackstands, and the front wheels heavily chocked, I put in in 4x4 and drive. Light nips at the throttle showed that the truck was trying to climb the chocks, woo hoo! It all works!

Next, I configured the Quick 2 trans controller for proper rear end ratio, tire size, drive/driven gear counts and such. This landed the indicated MPH within one or two, compared to a GPS speedo from my phone. So I calibrated the electronic speedo, which consists of putting it in calibration mode, then pressing a button when you get to the start of a measured 2 miles, and pressing it again at the end. Then the speedo was also within 1-2 MPH of the GPS and the Quick 2.

Then I drove down to the gas station and filled it up for more test driving, and that's where I'm at now. It has been darn cold down here, just like the rest of the country, so I'm not getting out much, but at this point the 4x4 conversion is done and I'm back to problem chasing. Right now those problems include:

- Coolant leak somewhere - can't see it but I can smell it. Not severe, so not that worried about it, but I don't like the smell.

- Something is badly rattling in the driver side door. Need to pull the door panel and apply some loctite to something I would guess.

- The trans cooler in front of the radiator (from the 95, so had to make up new mounting arrangement) sits too far forward and interferes with the front grill being installed. Need to move it back.

That's about it for now, hoping for warmer weather soon.

Minor project update. I got all the parts in, got the rear end set up with the gear manufacturers recommended backlash (.008-.010, landed right in the middle), and got everything installed.

Some problems along the way:

- One of the axles was clearly not from an F150, the OD on the bearing area was at least .030" too small, and there were other weird differences as well. Had to source a new Yukon Gear axle from Summit.

- I had ordered 2 sets of "Timken SET20" bearings and lock rings from Amazon. One went on fine. The other, the bearing went on fine but the locking ring measured about .004" smaller than the axle shaft. Since the bearing pressed on without drama, the locking ring had to be at fault. Ordered another set from Amazon, same thing. My press (20 ton) could only get the lock ring about halfway onto the axle shaft. .004" does not sound like a lot, but that's way too much for an interference press fit. Chucked it on the lathe and very carefully took out a couple thou, then it pressed normally onto the shaft.

- The limited slip I installed (Speedmaster PCE204.1002) had some warnings on the box about proper fluids that were kind of cryptic, they said "mineral oil based, EP140, no split grades such as 85/140". I did some internet searching and didn't turn up much, so I called Speedmaster. They said they spec'd that diff around Lucas 10431, so the search was on. I have a Summit in the same city as me, so basically one day shipping, but they were out of it. Other places were also out of it, but finally found 1 jug left at Jegs. Ordered it up, waited 5 days, and received some SAE 50 Plus... ugh. Starting to remember why I stopped using Jegs... got all that straightened out and got the right stuff yesterday. It's basically green pudding in a plastic jug. Got it in the diff and was ready for test driving.

First, I wanted to make sure the 4wd was working, so with the rear still on jackstands, and the front wheels heavily chocked, I put in in 4x4 and drive. Light nips at the throttle showed that the truck was trying to climb the chocks, woo hoo! It all works!

Next, I configured the Quick 2 trans controller for proper rear end ratio, tire size, drive/driven gear counts and such. This landed the indicated MPH within one or two, compared to a GPS speedo from my phone. So I calibrated the electronic speedo, which consists of putting it in calibration mode, then pressing a button when you get to the start of a measured 2 miles, and pressing it again at the end. Then the speedo was also within 1-2 MPH of the GPS and the Quick 2.

Then I drove down to the gas station and filled it up for more test driving, and that's where I'm at now. It has been darn cold down here, just like the rest of the country, so I'm not getting out much, but at this point the 4x4 conversion is done and I'm back to problem chasing. Right now those problems include:

- Coolant leak somewhere - can't see it but I can smell it. Not severe, so not that worried about it, but I don't like the smell.

- Something is badly rattling in the driver side door. Need to pull the door panel and apply some loctite to something I would guess.

- The trans cooler in front of the radiator (from the 95, so had to make up new mounting arrangement) sits too far forward and interferes with the front grill being installed. Need to move it back.

That's about it for now, hoping for warmer weather soon.

Nice! Good job!

Kind of a pain getting the right things sometimes.