Bullnose Forums

My first car show ever

rcarlisle

We took Walter to the local car show on 10/9/2021. Entered in the 76- 99 car & truck class. Shoulda done Rat rods - would have fit better after I saw the judging. But was mainly there for the fun and swap meet. Very laid back.

Had to fix a leaking heater hose before we could go - 5 minute fix. But it had sprayed the engine compartment Friday night; looked like we blew the motor, lol.

But you can see on each side of me are much nicer cars. It was fun. They said I had to raise hood or lose points. I had it closed to see the Explorer emblems since you don't see them a lot. The interior is the star of this build.

I picked up a set of headlight doors from a guy I know. they might be this much >||

IMG_20211009_131407598.jpg.7091136ea862f654769976d038b56e68.jpg

IMG_20211009_135507738.jpg.12c8fcd646fa8f2246766176eac912fe.jpg

IMG_20211009_131332226.jpg.c5ca2b9131145410403a64e13d7ce169.jpg

Cool! I enjoy going to shows, but haven't for a while so need to get started again. It is fun talking to the other owners - even if you don't win.

I have only been to 2 shows, 1 you paid a fee and other people choice, that handed out prizes.

The others I have gone to are Cars & Coffee where you show & share with other gear heads.

I never go looking to win anything but did at my first show, the paid one.

2 weeks ago I volunteered at the club that has let me tag along to other car outings with them and had a look at the judging sheet just to get an ideal what they look for / at.

I did ask if other clubs use the same sheets or things they judge and they did not know.

I would like to see if I can look at or get sheets from other clubs just so I know what they are looking at.

BTW yes hood up, if you have a car with a truck it should be open also or loos points.

The sheet I saw they gave points for jack & lug wrench, if you had a display of any type.

I have a photo book of the rebuild and a 1 page description of the truck & mods I did as you cant see them unless you know the trucks. Models, stuff toys and like what I have are all displays.

As for them really nice looking cars on either side how often do they drive them?

If it is like 1 guy I talked to at the paid show he only takes the truck out for shows after dusting it off before. After the shows he stops for gas on the way home and back in the garage.

His words "I dont enjoy the truck like I did before all the work".

I had more miles on my truck in 2 years than he had in 5 years since his truck was finished, it was a vary pretty truck.

The other thing that shocks people is that "I" did all the frame off rebuild work, not many can say they have done the work to their rides.

Go to shows to share and talk with other gear heads.

Dave ----

I have only been to 2 shows, 1 you paid a fee and other people choice, that handed out prizes.

The others I have gone to are Cars & Coffee where you show & share with other gear heads.

2 weeks ago I volunteered at the club that has let me tag along to other car outings with them and had a look at the judging sheet just to get an ideal what they look for / at.

I did ask if other clubs use the same sheets or things they judge and they did not know.

I would like to see if I can look at or get sheets from other clubs just so I know what they are looking at.

BTW yes hood up, if you have a car with a truck it should be open also or loos points.

The sheet I saw they gave points for jack & lug wrench, if you had a display of any type.

I have a photo book of the rebuild and a 1 page description of the truck & mods I did as you cant see them unless you know the trucks. Models, stuff toys and like what I have are all displays.

As for them really nice looking cars on either side how often do they drive them?

If it is like 1 guy I talked to at the paid show he only takes the truck out for shows after dusting it off before. After the shows he stops for gas on the way home and back in the garage.

I had more miles on my truck in 2 years than he had in 5 years since his truck was finished, it was a vary pretty truck.

The other thing that shocks people is that "I" did all the frame off rebuild work, not many can say they have done the work to their rides.

Dave ----

Sometimes I kinda wish shows had a "daily driver" class for those of us who restored our vehicles and continue to actually use them. I know it kinda defeats the purpose of a car show... but I can't afford to render my truck a show-only truck, and to progress much farther than it is (other than maybe dash/uphostery/vinyl floor replacement), I'd be making changes that would render it "too nice to daily drive".

Just a thought... although I haven't been to many shows, and have only been part of one show (Gary's show this year, in fact!).

Dave ----

Yeah, after investing a ton of time and money in a project and get it where you want it, you don't want to drive it. I worked on my truck for about a year and while I really enjoy the new feel, I don't like driving it in the elements, nor am I so eager to go throwing stuff in it anymore. I can relate.

Yeah, after investing a ton of time and money in a project and get it where you want it, you don't want to drive it. I worked on my truck for about a year and while I really enjoy the new feel, I don't like driving it in the elements, nor am I so eager to go throwing stuff in it anymore. I can relate.

I invested several tons of money in Big Blue and then drove him to Colorado and back to go offroading. Oh yes, and won Best Upgrades in some obscure truck show before going. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I invested several tons of money in Big Blue and then drove him to Colorado and back to go offroading. Oh yes, and won Best Upgrades in some obscure truck show before going. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Yeah, want to see you do that with Dad's Truck.....:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Speaking of Dad's truck, you need to put Blue on the shelf and get after it!

Yeah, want to see you do that with Dad's Truck.....:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Speaking of Dad's truck, you need to put Blue on the shelf and get after it!

No, that's not gonna happen with Dad's truck. It will be a trailer queen - when done.

As for placing Big Blue on the shelf, I hope that can be done in the next 12 months. I have three projects I want to do before then, inc the EFI, the rear & front view cameras, and the bumper/spare tire mount. But the latter can be put off easily.

Try a 4 year cab off frame rebuild! I built it as a (vary nice) driver.

I dont really like taking the truck out in the rain, most of what we get here even in winter, as it gets dirty and harder to wash and in winter colder! If I take it to work or out for dinner and it rains oh well.

I am careful of what I put in the bed not to hurt the tail gate or the painted sides, floor has bed liner.

Going to load up the weekly trash for the dump in a few.

Tomorrow I am going to load up 2 or 3 canopies and my car show chairs for a gathering for pets we volunteer / foster for.

I also used the truck to / from work last week 370+/- miles.

Got to enjoy it wile you can :nabble_smiley_good:

Dave ----