Bullnose Forums

Curb Weight of a 1979 F350?

ratdude747

Yes, correct.

Update (or really a statement of "no update"):

My FIL is being less than immediatly helpful. A whole bunch of guilt trippy "I'm conflicted. Care for my daugheter means you should [help RD and his wife with some major house upgrades- Working HVAC). Care for you means find a way to get that truck back here".

He then tried to convince me that my truck and trailer could do it... based on advice his dad gave him 30-40 years ago. I'm not convinced... sure, adding a tranny cooler would help with one aspect... but if my hitch and trailer aren't up to snuff, it's DOA.

Not wanting to turn this thread into personal problem whinefest... but ugh why???

I'm not writing this one off... but it's in God's hands at this point. I have no card to play.

My FIL is being less than immediatly helpful. A whole bunch of guilt trippy "I'm conflicted. Care for my daugheter means you should [help RD and his wife with some major house upgrades- Working HVAC). Care for you means find a way to get that truck back here".

He then tried to convince me that my truck and trailer could do it... based on advice his dad gave him 30-40 years ago. I'm not convinced... sure, adding a tranny cooler would help with one aspect... but if my hitch and trailer aren't up to snuff, it's DOA.

Not wanting to turn this thread into personal problem whinefest... but ugh why???

I'm not writing this one off... but it's in God's hands at this point. I have no card to play.

If the truck has been sitting there for 10 years it isn’t likely to move tomorrow. I think I’d let things sit a bit and see what happens, but make sure your family knows you are interested in the truck.

As for your truck and trailer doing it, I think it is possible. But I don’t think it has a high probability of doing it without problems.

First, will the truck even fit on your trailer due to the wheelbase? Second, we know the trailer will be overloaded. And the front axle is going to be the most overloaded since you need ~10% of the weight on the tongue.

Speaking of that, what will your truck think of 800 lbs of weight on the trailer hitch? I think it’ll squat badly. And that hitch isn’t rated for that either.

And then there’s the tranny. The AOD isn’t a heavy duty tranny. It was usually only used behind the 302, which doesn’t have a lot of torque. You have it behind a 300, which does have torque, and you’ll be using a whole lot of that torque moving that 8000 lb load. Will the tranny make it? I don’t know, but you won’t be doing it any favors.

Do I sound negative? Good! That’s my intention. I don’t think it is a good idea as it isn’t safe and you have a good chance of tearing something expensive up.

BTW know most states DOT, if not all state you need trailer brakes on anything over 3,000 lbs and some are at 2,500 lbs.

Is the truck & trailer set up for brakes?

That may be your out, look up your state(s) law on that and if the truck is to big Uhaul will not rent you a transport trailer.

I dont know how the 2 wheel dollies Uhaul has work for loads or if the truck will fit on one?

Dont know if they have brakes or not?

Dave ----

BTW know most states DOT, if not all state you need trailer brakes on anything over 3,000 lbs and some are at 2,500 lbs.

Is the truck & trailer set up for brakes?

That may be your out, look up your state(s) law on that and if the truck is to big Uhaul will not rent you a transport trailer.

I dont know how the 2 wheel dollies Uhaul has work for loads or if the truck will fit on one?

Dont know if they have brakes or not?

Dave ----

Sure is. Rear axle has brakes (to which I added a breakaway battery when I bought the trailer as part of a full rewiring). Truck has a Primus IQ progressive controller.

Sure is. Rear axle has brakes (to which I added a breakaway battery when I bought the trailer as part of a full rewiring). Truck has a Primus IQ progressive controller.

Sorry for the long Hi-jack.

I just re read your first post. Saw it was a crew cab. My cousin bought a truck just like it, 460 crew, it was in good shape, no rust and a one family type deal. Running and driving. He put it on ebay and was getting offers of over 15,000$. He ended up taking it off and working another deal with a person that wanted it terrible. My cousin is doing a frame off on a 78 F250 with the dana 60's like mine. My cousin had it all apart and everything bought new and ready to go back together, frame powder coated etc. . But he was worried he could not put it together as he has not had a lot of dealinigs with that year truck. The person that wants the crew, rebuilds those years of Fords. He is going to put the rolling chasis back together with everything done other than mounting the body and bring it back to my cousin. Then give him 15,000$ for the crew and haul it home.

So I would get the crew however I had to do it. You didn't say how far it has to travel. Maybe some of use can help.

Sorry for the long Hi-jack.

I just re read your first post. Saw it was a crew cab. My cousin bought a truck just like it, 460 crew, it was in good shape, no rust and a one family type deal. Running and driving. He put it on ebay and was getting offers of over 15,000$. He ended up taking it off and working another deal with a person that wanted it terrible. My cousin is doing a frame off on a 78 F250 with the dana 60's like mine. My cousin had it all apart and everything bought new and ready to go back together, frame powder coated etc. . But he was worried he could not put it together as he has not had a lot of dealinigs with that year truck. The person that wants the crew, rebuilds those years of Fords. He is going to put the rolling chasis back together with everything done other than mounting the body and bring it back to my cousin. Then give him 15,000$ for the crew and haul it home.

So I would get the crew however I had to do it. You didn't say how far it has to travel. Maybe some of use can help.

No worries on the hijack. the original topic is dead (I had to haul my scrap with the trailer today due to someone whining to the city about it :nabble_sarcastic-23_orig:; yep, no way in heck I'm hauling another truck with it!).

But, let's talk about that truck and my current situation. Warning: this gets slightly personal!

It's at my cousins-in-law's house in Junction City, KS.

The short form of the story is they contacted me through Facebook asking for a rough pricing. Based on Haggerty's estimate ($5000 fair) I told them "at least $1000" due to the "ran when parked 10 years ago, may have rodent damage to wiring" condition. Some loser offered them $500 on a cold call... Hence why they asked. The asking price is higher but that was based on my estimate (their decision, not mine).

They do know I'm interested... but may be logistically skewered. I also don't have $2500 I'd feel ok spending ($1000 is pushing it, but prime opportunities can justify flexing the budget :nabble_smiley_wink:#).

Complicating matters is a father-in-law who is trying to be supportive but at the same time (unintentionally?) Guilt tripping me: "I'm conflicted. Caring for you means seeing what I can do to bring the truck back here. Caring for [my wife/his daughter] means [helping upgrade my dead central A/C to a heat pump]." Other than switching the subject, how in the heck am I supposed to reply to that? :nabble_smiley_angry: That said he almost seems to think that truck ought to be mine... I guess I'm the old Ford guy in the family now?

One final note: my brother-in-law's inherited class 4 Chevy farm truck is all the way out in Quinter, KS (the family home/farm where said father-in-law grew up). Talk about heavy trucks!

No worries on the hijack. the original topic is dead (I had to haul my scrap with the trailer today due to someone whining to the city about it :nabble_sarcastic-23_orig:; yep, no way in heck I'm hauling another truck with it!).

But, let's talk about that truck and my current situation. Warning: this gets slightly personal!

It's at my cousins-in-law's house in Junction City, KS.

The short form of the story is they contacted me through Facebook asking for a rough pricing. Based on Haggerty's estimate ($5000 fair) I told them "at least $1000" due to the "ran when parked 10 years ago, may have rodent damage to wiring" condition. Some loser offered them $500 on a cold call... Hence why they asked. The asking price is higher but that was based on my estimate (their decision, not mine).

They do know I'm interested... but may be logistically skewered. I also don't have $2500 I'd feel ok spending ($1000 is pushing it, but prime opportunities can justify flexing the budget :nabble_smiley_wink:#).

Complicating matters is a father-in-law who is trying to be supportive but at the same time (unintentionally?) Guilt tripping me: "I'm conflicted. Caring for you means seeing what I can do to bring the truck back here. Caring for [my wife/his daughter] means [helping upgrade my dead central A/C to a heat pump]." Other than switching the subject, how in the heck am I supposed to reply to that? :nabble_smiley_angry: That said he almost seems to think that truck ought to be mine... I guess I'm the old Ford guy in the family now?

One final note: my brother-in-law's inherited class 4 Chevy farm truck is all the way out in Quinter, KS (the family home/farm where said father-in-law grew up). Talk about heavy trucks!

Had a brief chat. Told them if no interest locally I will find a way to get it to Indiana... Even if (assuming I get one) I burn my entire December bonus check on having it delivered somewhere and getting it to my/my FIW's house.

Also it has an auto tranny... Presumably a C6?

After this week's fun with hauling scrap with my bullnose and my car trailer, if I want to move anything more than a light sedan with it, I'll need a bigger truck. If it works out, I think this 79 would solve that problem. Of course the bullnose stays... After all the support I got for rebuilding it after the deer incident, it's a proven keeper!

Had a brief chat. Told them if no interest locally I will find a way to get it to Indiana... Even if (assuming I get one) I burn my entire December bonus check on having it delivered somewhere and getting it to my/my FIW's house.

Also it has an auto tranny... Presumably a C6?

After this week's fun with hauling scrap with my bullnose and my car trailer, if I want to move anything more than a light sedan with it, I'll need a bigger truck. If it works out, I think this 79 would solve that problem. Of course the bullnose stays... After all the support I got for rebuilding it after the deer incident, it's a proven keeper!

Yes, it’ll be a C6. And an F350 crew cab may have 4.10 gears. But even it they are 3.55’s it’ll pull about anything - from one gas station to the next one. 😉

Yes, it’ll be a C6. And an F350 crew cab may have 4.10 gears. But even it they are 3.55’s it’ll pull about anything - from one gas station to the next one. 😉

Yeah.

According to the scrapyard I was at 6700lb going in and 6000 heading out (only 3000lb extra capacity on the trailer?)... and that was, um, "noticeable". Nowhere near the 9000 I supposedly have. AFAIK I don't have brakes sticking on the trailer... so just that much added weight and rolling resistance I guess.

Yeah.

According to the scrapyard I was at 6700lb going in and 6000 heading out (only 3000lb extra capacity on the trailer?)... and that was, um, "noticeable". Nowhere near the 9000 I supposedly have. AFAIK I don't have brakes sticking on the trailer... so just that much added weight and rolling resistance I guess.

Let’s see, 6700 lbs going in and 6000 going out, so you had a 700 lb load on the trailer. And since the trailer weighs 1700 lbs the truck must weigh 4300 lbs. Right?

And you “noticed” the ~10% change? I think you’ve proven that you shouldn’t be pulling that crew cab, which is ~10 times heavier than today’s load.

Doing some math, 4300 + 6400 + 1700 = 12,400. That’s more than what Big Blue is rated for, although I wouldn’t worry about doing it. But that’s not the kind of thing you’d want to do with a light F150 w/a 300 and AOD. That’s the kind of load a crew cab w/a 460 would be good for. 😉