Bullnose Forums

Curb Weight of a 1979 F350?

ratdude747

I know this isn't a Bullnose, but hopefully somebody here knows something.

Some extended inlaws in Kansas are selling an old "ran when parked, sat for 10 years" 1979 F350. RWD, 460, Crew cab.

While I'm pretty sure my 7000lb car hauler could handle it (with fresh tires; it's curb weight is supposedly 1700lb), I'm not so sure my Bullnose would do it. Heck, my hitch is only good for 5000... this was mulled over in a prior thread

Not saying I'm buying the truck... the asked me for pricing info since some loser lowballed them for scrap value. I gave them my best guess and they marked it up accordingly as a "hope to get"... not to mention it's a good 10+ hours away from me (at normal interstate speeds, not slowed down hauling a truck!). But, I'd like to know what my options are here. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Note: this is not to imply I don't like my bullnose! I'm not in the market for another truck, but many of my projects seem to find me when I'm not in the market!

Bill/85lebaront2 said this: "Darth is a 2WD crew cab DRW truck and empty weight on a certified scale a couple of years ago was 6400 lbs."

And the '79 is probably a bit heavier, although maybe not if it is SRW instead of DRW. On the other hand, Scott/Welderscott has had his '78 F150 over several times and his tie rods are the equivalent of Big Blue's tie rods. In other words, the '79 and earlier trucks were heavier built than the '80 and later trucks, so have to weigh more.

When you subtract the 1700 from 7000 you get 5300, and that means you'd be 15 - 20% overloaded on the trailer. But there is also the question of length. The Bullnose crewcabs have a wheelbase of 168.4", so I assume the '79 does as well. Can your trailer handle that?

As for your truck, here's a page from the '85 owner's manual on towing. See the note about an F150 w/a 4.9L and AOD requiring the trailer towing package for towing even 2000 lbs. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Does your trailer have brakes? Does your truck have a brake controller?

Bottom Line: Your trailer and your truck are not spec'd to do it. Can it be done? Probably. Will you have problems? Maybe. But you would be past the limits all the way around.

5839008.thumb.jpg.4bfc98cb9d5b5bdbd70020afd1be1aa4.jpg

Bill/85lebaront2 said this: "Darth is a 2WD crew cab DRW truck and empty weight on a certified scale a couple of years ago was 6400 lbs."

And the '79 is probably a bit heavier, although maybe not if it is SRW instead of DRW. On the other hand, Scott/Welderscott has had his '78 F150 over several times and his tie rods are the equivalent of Big Blue's tie rods. In other words, the '79 and earlier trucks were heavier built than the '80 and later trucks, so have to weigh more.

When you subtract the 1700 from 7000 you get 5300, and that means you'd be 15 - 20% overloaded on the trailer. But there is also the question of length. The Bullnose crewcabs have a wheelbase of 168.4", so I assume the '79 does as well. Can your trailer handle that?

As for your truck, here's a page from the '85 owner's manual on towing. See the note about an F150 w/a 4.9L and AOD requiring the trailer towing package for towing even 2000 lbs. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Does your trailer have brakes? Does your truck have a brake controller?

Bottom Line: Your trailer and your truck are not spec'd to do it. Can it be done? Probably. Will you have problems? Maybe. But you would be past the limits all the way around.

The truck is not a dualie... forgot to clarify. LONG wheelbase though.... although the rails are low enough on the trailer that the back of the bed could overhang a bit.

Per the linked thread I have a 5000lb rated (Class III) hitch and a Primus IQ progressive brake controller. Installed before I bought the trailer.

Pic of my trailer:

196535451_10225878455977425_6028606950364322979_n.thumb.jpg.4c1306a942c6b64453a485ca8d0e730d.jpg

Yikes indeed on the suspected weight. I knew the gen 6 ones were heavier but not that much heavier! Then again it is a 350... Duh.

My brother in law has a class 4 truck (1950's Chevy flatbed) he needs moved out of KS as well (inherited from his grandpa, still on grandma's farm) so we've joked about going halfsies on a flatbed semi trip. In addition, my father in law has a 2012 F150 with a higher rating (and a class IV hitch?) and a wider (and longer?) trailer... he sold me his old trailer when he upgraded to the current one. Finally, what about a tow dolly? Do ones with brakes exist? The truck has a flat tire but assuming that could be aired up, All I'd need to do would would be disconnecting the driveshaft and wiring it out of the way?

Honestly as nice as the truck is my toy budget is negative.

The truck is not a dualie... forgot to clarify. LONG wheelbase though.... although the rails are low enough on the trailer that the back of the bed could overhang a bit.

Per the linked thread I have a 5000lb rated (Class III) hitch and a Primus IQ progressive brake controller. Installed before I bought the trailer.

Pic of my trailer:

Yikes indeed on the suspected weight. I knew the gen 6 ones were heavier but not that much heavier! Then again it is a 350... Duh.

My brother in law has a class 4 truck (1950's Chevy flatbed) he needs moved out of KS as well (inherited from his grandpa, still on grandma's farm) so we've joked about going halfsies on a flatbed semi trip. In addition, my father in law has a 2012 F150 with a higher rating (and a class IV hitch?) and a wider (and longer?) trailer... he sold me his old trailer when he upgraded to the current one. Finally, what about a tow dolly? Do ones with brakes exist? The truck has a flat tire but assuming that could be aired up, All I'd need to do would would be disconnecting the driveshaft and wiring it out of the way?

Honestly as nice as the truck is my toy budget is negative.

I'd get my FiL involved. His 2012 F150 will be a lot like Blue and have much more capability than your truck. And his new trailer would be what you need.

As for towing the truck, I wouldn't. You don't know what shape the brakes or wheel bearings are in, and you could easily have a problem and be stuck on the side of the road. In my experience vehicles that have sat for a long time have lots of problems, including stuck brakes and bad wheel bearings.

I'd get my FiL involved. His 2012 F150 will be a lot like Blue and have much more capability than your truck. And his new trailer would be what you need.

As for towing the truck, I wouldn't. You don't know what shape the brakes or wheel bearings are in, and you could easily have a problem and be stuck on the side of the road. In my experience vehicles that have sat for a long time have lots of problems, including stuck brakes and bad wheel bearings.

Plus I would not trust tires that have been sitting for 10 years. They could suddenly have separated belts and blow out suddenly.

Plus I would not trust tires that have been sitting for 10 years. They could suddenly have separated belts and blow out suddenly.

Amen! Especially those which have been sitting D-shaped.

My 78 F250 4x4 with dana 60's weighs in right at 6000lbs. But it is a Flareside bed that is lighter than a styleside. Being a 4x4 VS a 2WD the 4x4 parts might make it a wash on the weight though.