Bullnose Forums

SEM Colorants

Does anyone have experience with them? I know Luke used a bunch in his truck rebuild. I'd love to repaint my door liners and thresholds. That way they match the nice upholstery my grandfather put in a few years ago.

So. Many. Projects. So. Little. Time. :nabble_smiley_sad:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did my dash on Darth, the 1996 dash had a large crack that would not stay closed so I dyed a red 1995 dash Opal gray to match the rest of the 1996 interior.

You can see the unpainted red areas

I used SEM products on Rusty and the worked and held up well. But the key is the prep. Follow their instructions closely.

I've use both SEM and ColorBond, the SEM on our Volvo's that have had their interiors mostly replaced with "donors" as the plastic has become brittle and replacements required a paint match. I've found the local carriers to be very helpful on color-matching, but recently had my closest source stop offering custom rattle can mixes. So I decided to try out the custom-mixed ColorBond formulas from LMC for the truck.

I don't have a long experience with the ColorBnd, but I have about a decade with the SEM, and it's held up wonderfully despite the cars going through 3 active teens using the poor Swedish station wagon bricks as defacto trucks.

As Gary mentioned, prep is the key, with a clean surface and careful adherence to directions.

I've use both SEM and ColorBond, the SEM on our Volvo's that have had their interiors mostly replaced with "donors" as the plastic has become brittle and replacements required a paint match. I've found the local carriers to be very helpful on color-matching, but recently had my closest source stop offering custom rattle can mixes. So I decided to try out the custom-mixed ColorBond formulas from LMC for the truck.

I don't have a long experience with the ColorBnd, but I have about a decade with the SEM, and it's held up wonderfully despite the cars going through 3 active teens using the poor Swedish station wagon bricks as defacto trucks.

As Gary mentioned, prep is the key, with a clean surface and careful adherence to directions.

I have also used SEM products.

First black on another car project but has not been out of the garage yet.

I also used SEM on my truck project dash and will on the rest of the panels when the time comes.

20170917_142802.jpg.08f096bac687e01bf5080336e1a0c674.jpg

Same as the car has not been out of the garage yet.

I also have to say prep is everything.

Dave ----

Colorbond doesn't have any many colors as SEM. But they do have quite a few Ford colors and possibly other brand colors will match. But I can also say they hold up incredibly well. I haven't found anything better and use them often in restorations.

Colorbond doesn't have any many colors as SEM. But they do have quite a few Ford colors and possibly other brand colors will match. But I can also say they hold up incredibly well. I haven't found anything better and use them often in restorations.

Pete - Do you know what Bullnose colors they have? Is there a way to figure that out like I did on the SEM colors? I'm not pushing SEM, but that's the only match info that I have.

Pete - Do you know what Bullnose colors they have? Is there a way to figure that out like I did on the SEM colors? I'm not pushing SEM, but that's the only match info that I have.

No, not per se . I think we discussed this before. Definitely have a wider choice with SEM, plus they can be mixed at many paint stores.