Bullnose Forums

Considering Reservoirs

Gary Lewis

I'm sure you think Big Blue is a mess of modified components. But most of the "consumables", like alternators, reservoirs, radiators, brake shoes & pads, etc are off the shelf. IOW, I can order a new one in, assuming I know what the application is, and install it w/o modification. But the sixty-four-thousand-dollar question will be "What is the application?"

It just occurred to me that the 3-ring binder I have under the seat with the owner's manuals for the various accessories, like the brake controller, GMRS radio, etc would be a good place to keep a list of "applications". Like:

Front axle, brakes, and driveshaft: D60 from a '95 F350

Front suspension:

Springs: 2005 Superduty U-code

Shocks:

Aternator: 3G from a???? (What did it come from, Jim?

Drive belts:

I have a start on that in the document at the top of Big Blue's Transformation thread, but need to get more specific with it.

You can get a 7" 130A 3G from the 3.0l V6 Taurus/Sable/Lincoln's.

Same as I have the 8.25" 130A from the 3.8l version. So it's the early '90's.

The Lincoln application should net you one with a LRC regulator, because fancy cars with heated adjustable seats shouldn't hunt around at idle.

I don't think Big Blue is a mess of anything, but I also don't think there's much of him that hasn't been messed with.

I don't think Big Blue is a mess of anything, but I also don't think there's much of him that hasn't been messed with.

Amen, brother!

Speaking of "brother", I was telling Rick on the trip that the rear axle is probably the only thing I've not had apart. And then I realized that I have had it slightly apart.

Vernon had the long-pinion upgrade done to the 10.25" Sterling as well as new gears and the Truetrac. And they added the TrickFlow cover at the same time. But, in true :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: style they didn't adjust the main cap supports properly. So I made that adjustment.

But other than that I've not done anything to the rear axle. And that is probably the ONLY thing on the truck that I've not "messed with". (Otherwise, why would there currently be 287 pages in his thread?)

As for the alternator, I thought I got that one from you and was just wondering what it is off of.

Amen, brother!

Speaking of "brother", I was telling Rick on the trip that the rear axle is probably the only thing I've not had apart. And then I realized that I have had it slightly apart.

Vernon had the long-pinion upgrade done to the 10.25" Sterling as well as new gears and the Truetrac. And they added the TrickFlow cover at the same time. But, in true :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: style they didn't adjust the main cap supports properly. So I made that adjustment.

But other than that I've not done anything to the rear axle. And that is probably the ONLY thing on the truck that I've not "messed with". (Otherwise, why would there currently be 287 pages in his thread?)

As for the alternator, I thought I got that one from you and was just wondering what it is off of.

I did send the alternator to you.

It came from a Lincoln....

So, perhaps it wasn't you that messed with the diff, but it does have a long pinion conversion, cast cover and Trutrac.... :nabble_smiley_evil:

I did send the alternator to you.

It came from a Lincoln....

So, perhaps it wasn't you that messed with the diff, but it does have a long pinion conversion, cast cover and Trutrac.... :nabble_smiley_evil:

Ok, so it was from a Lincoln. :nabble_smiley_good:

The Dorman replacement reservoir just came in, and I like it better than the one that came off of Huck. Not only does it appear to be welded all the way around, it is also welded between the two reservoirs. So I'll check it in a bit for leaks and, if there are any I'll use the flowable RTV on it. But I'm betting it is SEALED. :nabble_smiley_beam:

As for the rear axle, yep its been messed with. (New bearings, gears, seals, Truetrac, rear cover, etc.) In other words, there isn't a bolt on Big Blue that hasn't been turned since it left the factory. And with the exception of the rear axle, there's not a bolt that I haven't turned. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Ok, so it was from a Lincoln. :nabble_smiley_good:

The Dorman replacement reservoir just came in, and I like it better than the one that came off of Huck. Not only does it appear to be welded all the way around, it is also welded between the two reservoirs. So I'll check it in a bit for leaks and, if there are any I'll use the flowable RTV on it. But I'm betting it is SEALED. :nabble_smiley_beam:

As for the rear axle, yep its been messed with. (New bearings, gears, seals, Truetrac, rear cover, etc.) In other words, there isn't a bolt on Big Blue that hasn't been turned since it left the factory. And with the exception of the rear axle, there's not a bolt that I haven't turned. :nabble_smiley_wink:

We have a winner! The Dorman reservoir is SEALED! :nabble_anim_jump:

Here's a shot of the old and new reservoirs. Which should I use? :nabble_smiley_evil:

Old__New_Reservoirs.thumb.jpg.68372f259bd2fc0f4222259680b00f7f.jpg

And here's a shot of the center area between the two chambers - sealed:

Dorman_Reservoir_Sealed_In_Center_-_Closeup.thumb.jpg.8d1ed688e0fb7dfd4bb5cc981f2cbbe9.jpg

Last, here's a shot of the coolant side holding water upside down with no leaks anywhere after 15 minutes. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Reservoir_Doesn_t_Leak.thumb.jpg.7aa1735cd539337b2be5e31f20a73277.jpg

We have a winner! The Dorman reservoir is SEALED! :nabble_anim_jump:

Here's a shot of the old and new reservoirs. Which should I use? :nabble_smiley_evil:

And here's a shot of the center area between the two chambers - sealed:

Last, here's a shot of the coolant side holding water upside down with no leaks anywhere after 15 minutes. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Use the old one, send me the new one! :nabble_smiley_tongue: