Bullnose Forums

1986 F-150 4x4: "Ol' Blue"

Fredwood

I plan on flushing the tank and lines along with replacing the filter. It supposedly had a clogged fuel line, so that is a must-do. I have done, and continuing to do, tons of research, but I would not say that I know what I am doing just yet - just trying not to foul anything up worse than it already may or may not be.

I am not looking forward to figuring out the vacuum lines. I think I just need to start from scratch and figure it out that way. With it being an '86 and an XLT, there are lines everywhere.

Also, what do you all typically do with the fuel tank vapor system/lines - modify, return to original, delete? I found out that the line coming from the tanks to the engine bay along the passenger frame rail is for fuel vapor and is supposed to connect to two carbon filters and a myriad of other lines and hoses - all of which are missing except for the hard vapor line running to the tanks. A previous owner must have done a delete by just removing everything past where the hard line stops, but I cannot imagine that this is the "correct" method.

I appreciate any and all wisdom, advice, suggestions, and/or comments.

There is a lot on here about vac lines and electrical. And folks who can help you decipher all of that. Gary will tell you, at some point, that this is like peeling an onion - lots of layers to be peeled. And corrected. But the folks on here are pretty good about helping you figure it all out - charts here too, for many trucks.

As for the vapor canister, I think it can be left off, just the possibility of gas smell from the front of truck. (I had a BMW motorocycle where you eventually had to remove or replace it - most ppl removed it) My thought intially would be to find a cheap charcoal canister from RockAuto or parts store, and adapt it to work on your truck. Jim will probably explain properly why my idea won't work though - and he'll be right because he knows way more than I do on these trucks. I would think any filter would work though, if you could plumb it in.

There is a lot on here about vac lines and electrical. And folks who can help you decipher all of that. Gary will tell you, at some point, that this is like peeling an onion - lots of layers to be peeled. And corrected. But the folks on here are pretty good about helping you figure it all out - charts here too, for many trucks.

As for the vapor canister, I think it can be left off, just the possibility of gas smell from the front of truck. (I had a BMW motorocycle where you eventually had to remove or replace it - most ppl removed it) My thought intially would be to find a cheap charcoal canister from RockAuto or parts store, and adapt it to work on your truck. Jim will probably explain properly why my idea won't work though - and he'll be right because he knows way more than I do on these trucks. I would think any filter would work though, if you could plumb it in.

That is kind of what I figured. My OCD will eventually make me do something about it, however.

I am glad that this can stay low on the list of priorities for now. Thanks for your input, Randy.

Randy, I don't think it's wrong to have a charcoal canister nor do I think it can't be plumbed in somehow.

You definitely don't want to take it all the way back to the rollover valves.

Your tank would leak every time you filled the truck up.

I do understand that people outside California get frustrated with the maze of vacuum lines and valves then decide to 'get rid of all this emissions crap'.…

Randy, I don't think it's wrong to have a charcoal canister nor do I think it can't be plumbed in somehow.

I do understand that people outside California get frustrated with the maze of vacuum lines and valves then decide to 'get rid of all this emissions crap'.…

I think we are in agreement. I also agree that you don't just remove emissions stuff because you don't think you need it. in the case of the motorcycle, if you overfilled the tank, or bike rolled over, raw gas would get in the lines to the canister, clogging them. This would cause idle and rideability issues. In those cases, remove it, reroute the hoses to drain overfill and keep riding.

ON these trucks it's not as critical, since it doesn't affect how the truck runs (does it?). But "we" all gotta get him running so he can determine what else is working here.

I figure you know way more than I do, so that's why I said you might correct me. There may be some reason I don't know that would preclude an alternative canister. You guys jumped in with Jonathan and got him helped with vacuum plumbing. Figured this will go the same.

That is kind of what I figured. My OCD will eventually make me do something about it, however.

I am glad that this can stay low on the list of priorities for now. Thanks for your input, Randy.

OMG, I think we all have some of that. My truck had started fine since I bought it in MArch - but I absolutely HAD TO fix the choke to work properly. Things like that will just settle in the back of your mind and keep you up at night.

I have no intention on taking it back to the rollover valve. Just as long as the system was not deemed to be problematic, I will likely go back to stock or something similar.

Yes, job one is certainly to get it running, and that is my plan for this weekend. Bought a few new tools, chemicals and oil the other day. It also looks like the throttle cable has about 3/4" of slack and needs to be adjusted. I was informed when I purchased the truck that it was replaced after the original broke.