Bullnose Forums

1986 F-150 4x4: "Ol' Blue"

Fredwood

Hello all -

I am from Klein, Texas and this is my 1986 F-150 XLT Lariat. It is a SuperCab long box with the 5.8L H.O., a C6, and 3.50 gears with rear limited-slip differential. It has has some rot in the body and a couple spots in the bed, but it should all be rather manageable. It does not currently run and has been sitting for upwards of 8 years, but the mechanical components and chassis appear to be solid, if not a little crusty from sitting. This is my first project vehicle, so I have a lot to learn, but this seems to be the place to look for help and guidance. It took a few years to find what I was looking for, so I cannot wait to get it running just in time to tear it all apart.

PXL_20210822_2341096081.jpg.29e5111c97e1c9a13de828f8f1bcf65c.jpg

Looks like fun. When you get really ready to get your hands dirty, let us all know what it does and doesn't do and someone can possibly help you in the right direction. MAke sure the engine isn't locked to start with. After that, just a matter of some oil, coolant, spark, air, and fuel. Fuel injected or carbed?

I look forward to seeing this one come to life.

....just a matter of some oil, coolant, spark, air, and fuel. Fuel injected or carbed?

351 HO would have the venerable 4180 4V carburetor and DuraSpark ignition Randy.

As I said above, it really doesn't get simpler or more reliable with this era of trucks.

Hopefully he can get the engine freed up and running without too much trouble.

Looks like fun. When you get really ready to get your hands dirty, let us all know what it does and doesn't do and someone can possibly help you in the right direction. MAke sure the engine isn't locked to start with. After that, just a matter of some oil, coolant, spark, air, and fuel. Fuel injected or carbed?

I look forward to seeing this one come to life.

Carbed with a 4bbl Holley 4180C, just as ArdWrknTrk stated. I am fairly certain that the motor is not siezed up. Going to pull the plugs and put a borescope in each chamber tomorrow to see what it looks like, spray some fogging oil in each, and, if it all looks good, put a ratchet on the crank bolt and make sure it spins - at least that is the plan.

Some good news is that it does not look like the motor leaks as it is full of old oil. If it does leak, it it is very minimal. Obviously I am going to change it and put a new filter on before I test the system and try to start the thing up. We will see what happens when the system is pressurized for the first time in a while.

I have yet to check the coolant and the fuel line is disconnected just before the pump - where the hard line starts and goes to the tank selector valve.

Carbed with a 4bbl Holley 4180C, just as ArdWrknTrk stated. I am fairly certain that the motor is not siezed up. Going to pull the plugs and put a borescope in each chamber tomorrow to see what it looks like, spray some fogging oil in each, and, if it all looks good, put a ratchet on the crank bolt and make sure it spins - at least that is the plan.

Some good news is that it does not look like the motor leaks as it is full of old oil. If it does leak, it it is very minimal. Obviously I am going to change it and put a new filter on before I test the system and try to start the thing up. We will see what happens when the system is pressurized for the first time in a while.

I have yet to check the coolant and the fuel line is disconnected just before the pump - where the hard line starts and goes to the tank selector valve.

If you decide to use that old fuel line, disconnect and blow the whole thing out, make sure it has no obstructions in it.

Sounds like you know what you're doing. I should probably just watch to see what happens. Goodest of luck to ya.

....just a matter of some oil, coolant, spark, air, and fuel. Fuel injected or carbed?

351 HO would have the venerable 4180 4V carburetor and DuraSpark ignition Randy.

As I said above, it really doesn't get simpler or more reliable with this era of trucks.

It's all I can do to keep up with the 81 year trucks. Much less the variations in later years. But you are right - they are almost as simple as an anvil. ANd as reliable too mostly, once you get the bugs out from them having sat for years.

It's all I can do to keep up with the 81 year trucks. Much less the variations in later years. But you are right - they are almost as simple as an anvil. ANd as reliable too mostly, once you get the bugs out from them having sat for years.

I plan on flushing the tank and lines along with replacing the filter. It supposedly had a clogged fuel line, so that is a must-do. I have done, and continuing to do, tons of research, but I would not say that I know what I am doing just yet - just trying not to foul anything up worse than it already may or may not be.

I am not looking forward to figuring out the vacuum lines. I think I just need to start from scratch and figure it out that way. With it being an '86 and an XLT, there are lines everywhere.

Also, what do you all typically do with the fuel tank vapor system/lines - modify, return to original, delete? I found out that the line coming from the tanks to the engine bay along the passenger frame rail is for fuel vapor and is supposed to connect to two carbon filters and a myriad of other lines and hoses - all of which are missing except for the hard vapor line running to the tanks. A previous owner must have done a delete by just removing everything past where the hard line stops, but I cannot imagine that this is the "correct" method.

I appreciate any and all wisdom, advice, suggestions, and/or comments.