Bullnose Forums

Champion radiator install

ckuske

Sure, here's the link to the supports for good shots of the insulators themselves. I've tried to orient them different ways, and have tried to ensure the radiator sits "in the valley" of the insulators, but still doesn't seem to fit right.

I've also noticed that the radiator is slightly offset to the passenger side, even when the rubber grooves in the hold down are aligned with the "fins" on the radiator that the hold downs fit onto (see previous link to the radiator on JEGS site)

And, here's the picture from my thread:

Can you turn those isolators around? Switch sides? It maybe me, but they look backwards.

Can you turn those isolators around? Switch sides? It maybe me, but they look backwards.

At first I was thinking the same thing but .......

The radiator tanks are cut back at the core area so the raised part of the rubber would fit to the inside of the tanks and keep it from moving side to side.

Not a Champ radiator bottom but his should be the same if it is made for our trucks.

20181221_144113.jpg.22c1c6976e0543416586ec5da76ff6d0.jpg

How high dose the radiator sit on them mounts?

I want to say mine did sit a little high but not to the point I was worried.

Are you sure the raised parts of the rubber is to the inside of the tanks and the tanks not sitting on them?

Any way to get a picture of the radiator in the bottom mounts and at the top on high it is sitting?

4 years plus 2 now since paint I am still holding on to old parts "just in case"!

Never throw anything out till the car / truck is on the road for at least 1 year.

Dave ----

Yep! You're right, they are and I didn't really try them that way. I'll show in the pictures I'll send shortly, but the feet on the insulators push into keyed holes in the support.

The only way the feet went into the correctly oriented holes in the support was the way in the picture (backwards)... :nabble_anim_confused:

At first I was thinking the same thing but .......

The radiator tanks are cut back at the core area so the raised part of the rubber would fit to the inside of the tanks and keep it from moving side to side.

Not a Champ radiator bottom but his should be the same if it is made for our trucks.

How high dose the radiator sit on them mounts?

I want to say mine did sit a little high but not to the point I was worried.

Are you sure the raised parts of the rubber is to the inside of the tanks and the tanks not sitting on them?

Any way to get a picture of the radiator in the bottom mounts and at the top on high it is sitting?

4 years plus 2 now since paint I am still holding on to old parts "just in case"!

Never throw anything out till the car / truck is on the road for at least 1 year.

Dave ----

Thanks for the reply Dave, I'll send pictures a little later today. Hopefully it'll help everybody tell me that they don't know what the heck my problem is, and the correct way to do it.

And, you're right! The radiator was literally the first thing I took off. I've certainly learned my lesson since then!

Thanks for the reply Dave, I'll send pictures a little later today. Hopefully it'll help everybody tell me that they don't know what the heck my problem is, and the correct way to do it.

And, you're right! The radiator was literally the first thing I took off. I've certainly learned my lesson since then!

Ok, so I took the insulators and just cut the feet off them that insert into the "keyed" holes. I had already torn some of the feet off trying to force them into the holes from above using a screwdriver... :nabble_smiley_thinking:

But, I think I've achieved success (just skip to the bottom pictures if you like) using the real insulators!

Here are the "keyed holes" I was referring to:

IMG_3109.jpg.43d840e753774861d1649ca73a719d9b.jpg

IMG_3110.jpg.4933cd8a85b32a6ec9ac2698449273ae.jpg

Here are the corresponding keyed holes on the bottom of the insulators:

IMG_3113.jpg.c92df2585c706a7cce5abfa56c44f552.jpg

Some pictures of the bottom of the radiator:

IMG_3117.jpg.987348dc6a234d9c628bce2817ad4100.jpg

Showing the extra play, and how the "fins" on the bottom of the radiator sit on the insulators...

IMG_3119.jpg.f779e8d30776151d26b119079b2a29c8.jpg

After mounting the radiator (but before cinching the hold-downs and mounting fan shroud to radiator)

IMG_3126.jpg.f1347c33203283627f8f7087b37f674f.jpg

IMG_3127.jpg.e63c308a9ae102e16b99093843dfeae6.jpg

Ok, so I took the insulators and just cut the feet off them that insert into the "keyed" holes. I had already torn some of the feet off trying to force them into the holes from above using a screwdriver... :nabble_smiley_thinking:

But, I think I've achieved success (just skip to the bottom pictures if you like) using the real insulators!

Here are the "keyed holes" I was referring to:

Here are the corresponding keyed holes on the bottom of the insulators:

Some pictures of the bottom of the radiator:

Showing the extra play, and how the "fins" on the bottom of the radiator sit on the insulators...

After mounting the radiator (but before cinching the hold-downs and mounting fan shroud to radiator)

Nice work!

It looks like the raised part of the isolator should fit between the flat stock and center flange of the (the equivalent of the stock angled cutout I described above) but realize in hand they must not.

Either way, it's in with minimal modification so that's a win :nabble_smiley_good:

Nice work!

It looks like the raised part of the isolator should fit between the flat stock and center flange of the (the equivalent of the stock angled cutout I described above) but realize in hand they must not.

Either way, it's in with minimal modification so that's a win :nabble_smiley_good:

That’s great! Glad you got it!

Edit: that’ll be helpful for someone in the future.