Bullnose Forums

A/C operation

Anyone's original A/C still working?

I've got voltage to the pressure switch but nothing coming out of it. There is some refrigerant in the system still. Not holding my breath to get it fixed as there is no more R-12, just out of curiosity.

Mine worked fine until I had to open it for a different reason (non-A/C) at which time I went ahead and converted it to R134a. It worked great as a conversion. I got a 1996 system from a rolled 1996 F150 and bought a later condenser as the one from the F150 was suspect and the later ones can't be cleaned.

Mine worked fine until I had to open it for a different reason (non-A/C) at which time I went ahead and converted it to R134a. It worked great as a conversion. I got a 1996 system from a rolled 1996 F150 and bought a later condenser as the one from the F150 was suspect and the later ones can't be cleaned.

If nothing out of the switch I would say its low on PSI and to test that jump the switch out and see if the compressor runs but don't run it long.

As for R-12 check with different shops as they may have some stored away. It's not like they got rid of it when new stuff went 134a.

Dave ----

Those switches go bad. So if you think there is enough freon, just jump the switch and see if the compressor come son and blows cold.

Yep, jumped it and the clutch kicked on. But then some smoke or maybe steam started coming out around the accumulator area so that cut the experiment short. Wasn't electrical, not sure where it came from.

Yep, jumped it and the clutch kicked on. But then some smoke or maybe steam started coming out around the accumulator area so that cut the experiment short. Wasn't electrical, not sure where it came from.

How long had it run before the smoke or steam came up? I can't imagine what would cause that unless you have a leak there.

How long had it run before the smoke or steam came up? I can't imagine what would cause that unless you have a leak there.

I noticed it after 10 seconds of running or so. Is the evaporator in the black housing? Maybe it was coming from in there.

I noticed it after 10 seconds of running or so. Is the evaporator in the black housing? Maybe it was coming from in there.

You ought to find out where the smoke or vapor came from. The evaporator is in the black housing, but I can't see it being cold enough in 10 seconds to cause vapor.

You ought to find out where the smoke or vapor came from. The evaporator is in the black housing, but I can't see it being cold enough in 10 seconds to cause vapor.

Wouldn't Freon "smoke" almost immediately at lower pressure, like when coming out of the can?