Bullnose Forums

My 1986

Gyropilot

My name is Mike and I just purchased a 1986 F250 460 2wd dually. It is a genuine barn find with 58,000 original miles. There are a few parts missing in the engine compartment (alternator, power steering pump and brackets. I am looking forward to the help I can get from you guys getting this bad boy back on the road.

Welcome! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Where's home? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we can add you with a city/state or zip.

As for the truck, that does sound like a nice find! You'll have to post some pics. And you should start a thread about it in the main section or in Projects, your choice.

You may be a candidate for a 3G alternator upgrade. You can read about that on our page at Documentation/Electrical/3G Conversion. One of the reasons I'd suggest it is because an '86 would have come from the factory with the 2G alternator, aka "firestarter". They had a poor design on the output terminals and those had a tendency to loosen up, which made a poor connection, which caused heat, which made the connection worse, which... You get the picture.

The 3G replaced the 2G later and several of us have upgraded from the 1G, which was used through '85, or the 2G to the later unit. And the 3G will put out more current at idle than a 1 or 2G will at full tilt.

So, since you don't have an alternator I'd suggest buying a 3G and making the conversion. We can talk you through it.

Welcome Mike!

You pilot a helicopter?

Another member (Angelo Voltura) recently posted some photos of just how bad the second generation alternator harness can get.

I'd agree with Gary, if you are starting from scratch it's best to go with a 3G from an early '90's 3.8l Taurus/Sable.