Bullnose Forums

Deer killed my Bullnose... Mangled the front

Sounds like a plan, Stan. Good luck!

Trip was a bust. Two 4.9 84's, but with a lot of rust and no a/c (wrong radiator and shroud). I did get a splash shield... And since one had an AOD too, I got a "correct" ECU to try too (instead of the manual one I have now).

Trip was a bust. Two 4.9 84's, but with a lot of rust and no a/c (wrong radiator and shroud). I did get a splash shield... And since one had an AOD too, I got a "correct" ECU to try too (instead of the manual one I have now).

If you have what is left of the old shroud, LMC posts you need a number off it to get the right one.

I would have to check but I think I got my shroud from Dennis Carpenter and was a really good price and picked up 2 so I could make 1 to fit my truck as I did not have one to get numbers off of.

I only used 1 and had to trim a 1/4" off each side so it would sit flush to the radiator, other wise it was a bolt up.

Dave ----

edit: I think I got my new radiator from Rock Auto

If you have what is left of the old shroud, LMC posts you need a number off it to get the right one.

I would have to check but I think I got my shroud from Dennis Carpenter and was a really good price and picked up 2 so I could make 1 to fit my truck as I did not have one to get numbers off of.

I only used 1 and had to trim a 1/4" off each side so it would sit flush to the radiator, other wise it was a bolt up.

Dave ----

edit: I think I got my new radiator from Rock Auto

It's in chunks.

The part number off it (I did get that before tossing them in the trash, which hasn't gone out yet) is E2TA-8146-RA.

It's in chunks.

The part number off it (I did get that before tossing them in the trash, which hasn't gone out yet) is E2TA-8146-RA.

Here we go again: Any number on a part is not a part number. It is either an Engineering or ID #, depending on what Ford publication you are looking at.

Why is that important? Because usually you cannot look an ID # up in the Master Parts Catalog. But in some cases you can, and shrouds happens to be one of them as the people that put the MPC together added the ID #'s in the Description column. This is rare, but very helpful.

Below is part of the info from our page at Documentation/Cooling Systems/Shroud Part #'s and you can see the E2TA-RA, which is shorthand as the "8146 is understood". And that item is part number E2TZ 8146-C and fits an 82/84 with either Super Cooling or A/C.

But there was a previous version of it, with ID # E0TA-AA that also fits. So if you were to go to a salvage you'd want to be looking for either of those #'s.

8209346.jpg.504e902483a6288dc81106f1086f483f.jpg565632.jpg.04de0420bd344f2e3e117a47524ecf4f.jpg

Here we go again: Any number on a part is not a part number. It is either an Engineering or ID #, depending on what Ford publication you are looking at.

Why is that important? Because usually you cannot look an ID # up in the Master Parts Catalog. But in some cases you can, and shrouds happens to be one of them as the people that put the MPC together added the ID #'s in the Description column. This is rare, but very helpful.

Below is part of the info from our page at Documentation/Cooling Systems/Shroud Part #'s and you can see the E2TA-RA, which is shorthand as the "8146 is understood". And that item is part number E2TZ 8146-C and fits an 82/84 with either Super Cooling or A/C.

But there was a previous version of it, with ID # E0TA-AA that also fits. So if you were to go to a salvage you'd want to be looking for either of those #'s.

Ah. What was at the yard wasn't that... Single core with a fan "guard" up top rather than a true "shroud" around the fan. Marked specifically "not equipped for A/C". It did have dealer air though... Clearly they cheaped out and didn't upgrade the cooling at the same time :nabble_smiley_argh:...

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n103844/8209346.jpghttps://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n103844/565632.jpg

True Gary but LMC wants that number in order to get the right shroud for the truck.

IIRC I think its because of the 2 different ways Ford mounted the radiators but could be all wrong also?

My radiator has rubber cups at the bottom the side tanks fit in and 2 2 part brackets that fit over the tanks at the top.

20200222_154910.thumb.jpg.0c258ceeb0331cecbd246e1c0fba6fb9.jpg

The the shroud slips into 2 clips at the bottom that are also clipped to the radiator and the top uses 2 bolts to the top of the radiator.

20181221_163816.jpg.49b32b6ddba086670f051bef6fefb5d5.jpg

That shroud is for a newer truck with a 300 (94?) and I needed to trim 1/4" off each side for it to sit flush to the radiator.

20181221_144222.jpg.242bd49e1bc145cdf36634deee894ba1.jpg

I see in 1 of my pictures a box from NPD? I wounder what I got from them, radiator or shroud as it is about that same size? If you need me to look I might be able to find out.

Dave ----

It's in chunks. The part number off it (I did get that before tossing them in the trash, which hasn't gone out yet) ...

Saved, Whew! "Plan B", jig up the pieces using the screw holes where it mounts on the radiator, or make a plywood jig with the screw holes, and re-assemble the puzzle pieces (what there are) using the screw holes as fixed points. If some pieces are missing then patch what one can.

If and when a replacement can be found then the old one can be changed out. The plywood jig can be saved to ensure the holes on the prospective "found" one match up. If there is another damaged shroud then maybe some pieces can be salvaged from it to improve the assembled shroud "puzzle".

It's in chunks. The part number off it (I did get that before tossing them in the trash, which hasn't gone out yet) ...

Saved, Whew! "Plan B", jig up the pieces using the screw holes where it mounts on the radiator, or make a plywood jig with the screw holes, and re-assemble the puzzle pieces (what there are) using the screw holes as fixed points. If some pieces are missing then patch what one can.

If and when a replacement can be found then the old one can be changed out. The plywood jig can be saved to ensure the holes on the prospective "found" one match up. If there is another damaged shroud then maybe some pieces can be salvaged from it to improve the assembled shroud "puzzle".

I don't have that many of them... it was a cracked up mess, with several chunks lost at the accident site.