Bullnose Forums

Bedliner suggestions

And here I am! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I can only say that my drop-in bed-liner is polypropylene.

This is very difficult to get anything to adhere to.

I would suggest the West System G/flex 655, and follow the directions for plastic prep which include a wipe with alcohol and a quick pass from a propane torch to oxidize the surface.

Put a piece of duct tape or something to keep it from creating a problem non the back side.

This should hold well.

Ah duh... I see that sort of black plastic and for some reason always figure it's ABS.

I know about PP being a pain to adhere... like the times I've tried and failed at gluing the inserts on my tack box of crimps/etc. at work... obviously regular super glue didn't work, and while some UV-curing super glue did cure, it didn't stick.

My hope was to try to keep junk from getting under the liner... that's all. Since I don't plan on putting a truck box or a 5th wheel hitch on it!

Applied the Chassis Saver Tonight:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n104645/IMG_20210914_190503%5B1%5D.jpg

Not a pretty application... doesn't help that my neighbor fired up the riding mower and did his lawn as soon as I started painting :nabble_smiley_argh:. But for covering all the really pitted and nasty areas before installing the bedliner, it will do. I'll drop it in tomorrow once the chassis saver has had enough time to cure (enough to cover up with a liner, that is).

To secure the bedliner to the bed, I bought six rubber wedge style stake pocket chrome anchors from LMC (Which the $50 gift card I won at the show paid for :nabble_smiley_good:)... they're in the mail. Should be a good setup. Now to determine what the best way to patch holes in ABS plastic is... putty epoxy?

I would say do the full inside of the bed before the install of the liner.

I say this because when the trucks were new and a liner installed, over the years dirt & water get in between the liner and the bed floor / walls and with the vibration of the liner when driving it is like sand paper sanding the paint away.

Later when the liner is removed for some reason there are rust holes in the bed floor where the paint was sanded away and the water able to eat on the metal floor.

I also dont like the liners as anything you put in the bed slides all over the place.

If it was me I would do some type of rust converter then a roll on bed liner or have a pro spray on a liner.

I guess you could spray it on your self if you have the equipment.

I say this as the metal floor on my flare side was pro lined when it was part of the parts truckbed.

I have thrown things in the bed, 1 a heavy metal brake (bender) with no worry of it marking the floor or moving.

Just my .02

BTW I did 2 coats of roll on bed liner, top & bottom of the cab floor for protection and it has held up well in the 2 years on the road. Top has carpet on it now but for at least 6 months it did not.

Dave ----

Applied the Chassis Saver Tonight:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n104645/IMG_20210914_190503%5B1%5D.jpg

Not a pretty application... doesn't help that my neighbor fired up the riding mower and did his lawn as soon as I started painting :nabble_smiley_argh:. But for covering all the really pitted and nasty areas before installing the bedliner, it will do. I'll drop it in tomorrow once the chassis saver has had enough time to cure (enough to cover up with a liner, that is).

To secure the bedliner to the bed, I bought six rubber wedge style stake pocket chrome anchors from LMC (Which the $50 gift card I won at the show paid for :nabble_smiley_good:)... they're in the mail. Should be a good setup. Now to determine what the best way to patch holes in ABS plastic is... putty epoxy?

I would say do the full inside of the bed before the install of the liner.

I say this because when the trucks were new and a liner installed, over the years dirt & water get in between the liner and the bed floor / walls and with the vibration of the liner when driving it is like sand paper sanding the paint away.

Later when the liner is removed for some reason there are rust holes in the bed floor where the paint was sanded away and the water able to eat on the metal floor.

I also dont like the liners as anything you put in the bed slides all over the place.

If it was me I would do some type of rust converter then a roll on bed liner or have a pro spray on a liner.

I guess you could spray it on your self if you have the equipment.

I say this as the metal floor on my flare side was pro lined when it was part of the parts truckbed.

I have thrown things in the bed, 1 a heavy metal brake (bender) with no worry of it marking the floor or moving.

Just my .02

BTW I did 2 coats of roll on bed liner, top & bottom of the cab floor for protection and it has held up well in the 2 years on the road. Top has carpet on it now but for at least 6 months it did not.

Dave ----

Hadn’t given this much thought as I haven’t done any bed liners.

When I had a canopy (topper, cap) on my truck I put a rubber floor mat in it. Like this, https://www.deezee.com/product/truck-bed-mats/

When I sold the canopy I remember thinking what am I going to do with this bed mat.

Had it in there ever since, and I like it. Stuff doesn’t slide around, I don’t slide around when I’m back there when it’s wet.

Easy enough to move and/or remove to clean up debris.

Hadn’t given this much thought as I haven’t done any bed liners.

When I had a canopy (topper, cap) on my truck I put a rubber floor mat in it. Like this, https://www.deezee.com/product/truck-bed-mats/

When I sold the canopy I remember thinking what am I going to do with this bed mat.

Had it in there ever since, and I like it. Stuff doesn’t slide around, I don’t slide around when I’m back there when it’s wet.

Easy enough to move and/or remove to clean up debris.

I'll post pics later, but I dropped the bedliner the same night as the last pics due to a storm coming (the Chassis Saver had about 6 hours of cure time when covered). Since then the anchors came in and have been installed. Still need to screw down the tailgate cover.

Comments:

-Both of my Rangers (past 1995 and current 1995) have plastic bedliners... Yeah, stuff does slide, but usually that's a good thing. Having been my my parent's 2011 Silverado with line-x / rhino, the plastic is a lot easier on cargo.

- My bed is by no means in "good" condition. Lots of dents and dings in the wheelwells and the front side is bowed (had to secure with rivets due to the previous damage). A plastic cover in this case works to my advantage and covers the roughness up

-Especially for the "cost", I am satisfied...