Bullnose Forums

Instrument cluster dimming at idle

Gsmblue

Last night I drove Elyza (F350) for the first time.

The HiPO bright white LEDs are fantastic, I had to dim the instrument lights. When I got home and the engine dropped to idle the lights dimmed to almost not visible then as I revved the engine they came back.

I am assuming the alternator may be on the way out, but am also away it could the voltage regulator or the regulator on the back of the instrument cluster.

Basically I am looking for advice on the appropriate trouble shooting to work this out, all advice is welcome!

If you had the A/C and lights on it is probably just because the alternator can't keep up. You are still running the original 1G, right?

I did not notice the headlights dim, but this is something I will check.

The AC was on, i did not turn it off and see if that changed anything.

It is a 1G alternator

So far 2 fingers pointing at the alternator. I will get the DMM out see what the voltage is at idle..

I did not notice the headlights dim, but this is something I will check.

The AC was on, i did not turn it off and see if that changed anything.

It is a 1G alternator

So far 2 fingers pointing at the alternator. I will get the DMM out see what the voltage is at idle..

The 1G can’t keep up with headlights and A/C when idling.

Thanks Gary.

I never noticed in the other trucks before, last night was the first time.

Sounds like I need to do 3x 3G conversions, but which one first???

The only time this might be an issue is if you are sitting at an idle for a L O N G T I M E with everything running.

I ask how often will this happen?

It sounds like this is the first time since you had the truck and if me would not worry.

Dave ----

Thanks Gary.

I never noticed in the other trucks before, last night was the first time.

Sounds like I need to do 3x 3G conversions, but which one first???

The only time this might be an issue is if you are sitting at an idle for a L O N G T I M E with everything running.

I ask how often will this happen?

It sounds like this is the first time since you had the truck and if me would not worry.

Dave ----

This is true. I did have the stereo cranked up too.

I may only have noticed as I have the LED dash lights in now and they went from bright to almost off.

If you had the A/C and lights on it is probably just because the alternator can't keep up. You are still running the original 1G, right?

How do you identify what alternator you have? Mine loks new - may have already been replaced by the PO. I notice the signals seem slower when the AC is on. Don't notice any dimming of anything though. And have been running the AC a LOT lately. I have this pic. Does that tell anyone anything?

IMG_20210318_180907579.jpg.09af6dbe1d7da9f80be94c9c53e3b058.jpg

How do you identify what alternator you have? Mine loks new - may have already been replaced by the PO. I notice the signals seem slower when the AC is on. Don't notice any dimming of anything though. And have been running the AC a LOT lately. I have this pic. Does that tell anyone anything?

An '81 should have a 1G, which has an external fan and external regulator, which is the box on the fender by the starter relay.

The 2G, aka Firestarter, came out in '86 and has an external fan but internal regulator - no box on the fender. The main problem with them is that the output connectors can develop a bad connection and start heating, which makes the connection worse, which causes more heating, which...

The 3G came out in the 90's and has both an internal regulator and internal fans. It was a serious redesign and puts out more current at idle than either the 1G or 2G do at full tilt.