Bullnose Forums

Any sources for interior trim for 81-86 F series?

The SEM interior paint has UV protection in it. Its what I will be using on my dashboard when I get my new dash pad so the color will match properly. I how ever am still looking for new windshield pillar trim but dont think I will be able to find them so the SEM is the go to for sprucing up the trim.

The padded dash and some of the plastic I have still looks good with no discoloring. Wonder if SEM makes a UV clear coat that can be used. And in a mat finish? Would really like to protect what hasn't been damaged yet.

[Edit, Update: Sent SEM Tech Support an email and asked if they have a UV Clear Coat that would help in our application]

[Edit Aug 11, Update #2; Nice reply from SEM Tech Support, for info:

"Thanks for contacting us about our products.

The clears in our COLOR COAT line have good UV resistance and you could use them over the dash (after proper prep) but you could just as easily recolor the dash with COLOR COAT and restore the color as well as protect the dash for many years.

COLRO COAT will not harden plastic but will help keep the UV from doing any more harm to it.

Thanks again"

Thought: Before buying new door panels, since the can of "matching color spray paint" will be needed anyway, maybe just getting the paint and spraying the existing door panels (after removing all the trim and padded arm rest), and the pillar trim, might be a good way to go and just see how much protection to the soft and faded plastic the paint provides. Maybe more than one coat in those areas if it doesn't sheen up?]

The SEM interior paint has UV protection in it. Its what I will be using on my dashboard when I get my new dash pad so the color will match properly. I how ever am still looking for new windshield pillar trim but dont think I will be able to find them so the SEM is the go to for sprucing up the trim.

The padded dash and some of the plastic I have still looks good with no discoloring. Wonder if SEM makes a UV clear coat that can be used. And in a mat finish? Would really like to protect what hasn't been damaged yet.

[Edit, Update: Sent SEM Tech Support an email and asked if they have a UV Clear Coat that would help in our application]

The clears in our COLOR COAT line have good UV resistance and you could use them over the dash (after proper prep) but you could just as easily recolor the dash with COLOR COAT and restore the color as well as protect the dash for many years.

COLRO COAT will not harden plastic but will help keep the UV from doing any more harm to it.

Thanks again"

Thought: Before buying new door panels, since the can of "matching color spray paint" will be needed anyway, maybe just getting the paint and spraying the existing door panels (after removing all the trim and padded arm rest), and the pillar trim, might be a good way to go and just see how much protection to the soft and faded plastic the paint provides. Maybe more than one coat in those areas if it doesn't sheen up?]

I was going to say the clear dose have UV protection as thats what I was told years ago when I was re-doing the inside of my 70 Javelin, I did not know the paint also had it good to know.

As for sheen be careful for glare back.

I used the color coat on the dash cover and on bright days the glare is pretty bad to the point I am thinking of getting one of them cover rugs for when driving and pull it off at shows.

I did not have to paint the new dash pad on the Javelin and have not had it out driving so dont know how it will be on a bright day.

So watch the sheen

Dave ----

Thanks again"

If you take a look at the shadow blue I painted my new dennis-carpenter door panels years ago thats the sheen I had with I think 4 or 5 coats of the blue. For me it was very hard to get a proper lay down of the color with the door panel being black and the blue being so dark it was blending in too easy for me to tell so I kept going over it till I could tell but after curing I noticed some areas are not perfect to my liking. Still better than the brittle ones I took off that was falling apart.

The arm rest pad was not painted I found a place online that sold it with the vinyl already in the shadow blue. Something like that or the sun visors I didnt want to trust the paint to touching constantly that is soft such as the arm rest or the sun visors.

I plan to replace the door panels again with Dennis-Carpenter reproductions again and this time going to get inside with some proper bright lightning to ensure the color is smooth without bleed through.

• 6 months later...