Bullnose Forums

Farm Truck project kicks off with a driveshaft question

We fiberglassed it last night. Turned out pretty well. Just needs a little trimming after it's fully cured. I found a few hits on the web, other forums, of guys griping about Ford pedal boxes cracking. Were I to go dare ask the dealer for this part, I imagine he would laugh as cruelly as Stalin when he enslaved Europe ...

All needed materials were at the local hardware store for $60, and we have 95% of it left over. I'd encourage all of you to think about using fiberglass to repair parts on our trucks.

You used epoxy resin? Does it appear to have stuck well to the casting?

The welder was able to patch it up with a special zinc TIG rod. He said he's been welding all his life and rarely seen anything so difficult.

Now my question is, should I take the time to fiberglass and reinforce the crappy thin Furd pedal box? This is clearly one area where Bullys are better. The Bullnose flexing firewall issue is easier to remedy.

As a side note, I called Flaming River and asked about their extra strong super duper steering columns. What a poor attitude the guy had. I gather that the only shaft they offer for us is their universal, with heavy mods required to fit it. Ford pickups are not their market apparently.

The red arrow shows the weld, the green arrows are where I'd lay in some fiberglass. What do you think?

The Brick nose trucks have the same firewall tearing issues. (Even after they went to the diagonal bolt placement w/ the clutch safety mounted on the inside of the master cylinder)

While I don't have any super duper steering column I did adapt a later (2014) lower column that uses universal joints at each end to do away with my problematic rag joint at the steering box.

I hope your fiberglass fix works out as you hope. :nabble_smiley_good:

You used epoxy resin? Does it appear to have stuck well to the casting?

We used polyester resin from the hardware store. Nuttin' fancy!

But yes clearly it's an epoxy, 14 drops of hardener to each ounce of resin.

Stinks and causes headaches...even using it outdoors.

Actually, just because you add a hardener doesn't mean it is an epoxy. This site says "There are three main types of Resins used today for use with Carbon Fiber, Fiberglass, and Aramid (Kevlar). These are Epoxy, Vinylester, Polyester Resins." And it is my understanding that all three require a hardener.

You might want to read the description there on the strengths of the different resins.

If it stinks it is polyester and not epoxy.

You are smelling the styrene monomer evaporating.

Epoxies typically have no VOC's which is one reason they are the preferred matrix for composites.

Well, that and they are strongly adhesive and not nearly as brittle as polyester resins.

Polyesters use a catalyst. Typically benzoyl peroxide with cobalt napthanate as an accelerant.

Epoxies are two part (resin & hardener) both of which crosslink to create a polymer. These typically mix in the range of 1:1-1:5.

Edit: Gary, there is a difference between hardener and catalyst..

Catalyst's promote the cross-linking of a monomer, but are not a part of the polymer.

Hardeners do become a major part of the product and often influence cure speed or properties of the product.

If it stinks it is polyester and not epoxy.

You are smelling the styrene monomer evaporating.

Epoxies typically have no VOC's which is one reason they are the preferred matrix for composites.

Well, that and they are strongly adhesive and not nearly as brittle as polyester resins.

Polyesters use a catalyst. Typically benzoyl peroxide with cobalt napthanate as an accelerant.

Epoxies are two part (resin & hardener) both of which crosslink to create a polymer. These typically mix in the range of 1:1-1:5.

Edit: Gary, there is a difference between hardener and catalyst..

Catalyst's promote the cross-linking of a monomer, but are not a part of the polymer.

Hardeners do become a major part of the product and often influence cure speed or properties of the product.

Thanks, Bill. I sit corrected. And happy to learn. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I'm not looking to correct anybody.

Just trying to share some insight as to how these materials differ and what their attributes are.

Interesting article. Sounds like polyester is only good for fiberglass. And the author holds it in low esteem.

In my case it's being used to strengthen an existing pot metal casting so any improvement is a plus. We'll keep an eye on it.