Bullnose Forums

Fuel Sending unit, fuel gauge, and instrument resistances.

We're are all here to help each other!

I'm sorry if my saying that Gary had left a place marker seemed cryptic....

Perhaps Gary, you should just remove the 1984 heading....

I'm just glad you worked your magic, and did whatever you did so that I can access them.

It helps me a lot to leave people a link or drop an image in a reply to someone's question.

I could delete it easily, Jim. But can we answer the question first? It was a test of what we thought of the new approach of placing a whole pdf on a page instead of breaking it up by section and having jpgs of each page.

As I see it the advantages are that it is easier for me. But we then cannot right-click, grab the link to the page's picture and put it in a post, which we seem to do a lot. Plus there's the issue of downloadability, which we've discussed.

So I think we should delete what's there. What say you?

I could delete it easily, Jim. But can we answer the question first? It was a test of what we thought of the new approach of placing a whole pdf on a page instead of breaking it up by section and having jpgs of each page.

As I see it the advantages are that it is easier for me. But we then cannot right-click, grab the link to the page's picture and put it in a post, which we seem to do a lot. Plus there's the issue of downloadability, which we've discussed.

So I think we should delete what's there. What say you?

The '84 manual serves no purpose to me.

I find it challenging enough to have multiple pages open on my phone and navigate between them to compose an informative reply (like I tried for Alex this morning)

I DO want to thank you for all you put into this site, and your never ending efforts to improve and update it. :nabble_smiley_good:

The '84 manual serves no purpose to me.

I find it challenging enough to have multiple pages open on my phone and navigate between them to compose an informative reply (like I tried for Alex this morning)

I DO want to thank you for all you put into this site, and your never ending efforts to improve and update it. :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks, Jim.

I didn't delete the '84 EVTM but just hid it. That way I can get back to it easily if needed.

• 3 months later...

Probably for the best.

I just meant that it doesn't appear there and be a distraction.

Thought I’d share this link - Dennis Carpenter appears to have a solid state replace that is plug n play. It’s also easy to find if you search DCs website. Might be worth adding to the documentation.

https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/trucks/electrical/battery/d1az-10804-a-instr-cluster-voltage-regulat

Thought I’d share this link - Dennis Carpenter appears to have a solid state replace that is plug n play. It’s also easy to find if you search DCs website. Might be worth adding to the documentation.

https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/trucks/electrical/battery/d1az-10804-a-instr-cluster-voltage-regulat

That's great! Thanks.

The page at Documentation/Electrical/ICVR now says:

ICVR.thumb.jpg.18713c85f44d7a5ffe59ad6bd7a24de8.jpg

• 10 months later...

That's great! Thanks.

The page at Documentation/Electrical/ICVR now says:

Thanks Gary, and team,

This is slightly long read but it needs some clarity over the PN's in the Documents section regarding fuel sending units.

So it's been a while and I recently had some time to crawl under the truck and find out why I was having such difficulty with the fuel gauge. I started to run out of fuel for the last time 1/4 mile from the house and was able to limp it in, where I parked it and it died. So, I dropped the tank to see what might be going on, and behold there was DEFINATELY fuel in the tank, I'd sat about 30-50lbs of it. I pulled the sparkly clean sending unit out and held it up to the side of the tank, where ir would be mounted, to see where the pickup tube stopper and it was an easy 4"+ away from the bottom of the tank. I had forgotten where I got that sending unit, but I knew it was not from the company that made the tank. I decided go to the parts store and get the right one. They got it in a couple of days and I brought it home, the weather delayed my install but I took it out of the box and matched up to the old one.... IDENTICAL Pickup tube. I plan to bring this one back, however I don't' know what I should be asking for.

What I know:

The tank is a 4252B from (https://www.gastankdepot.com/4252b-plastic-fuel-gas-tank-ford-pickup-19-gallon.html)

It is side mounted 19 Gallon,

The truck is a standard cab, long bed, with a single fuel tank

The sending unit that I have is a Spectra FG74A (shows that a 19 Gallon mid ship tank is the corresponding tank)

The Fuel gauge shows nearly 1/2 tank, however I have been messing with voltages trying to dial in the fuel level, but I think the level sender is the main issue

Documentation page shows the Sending unit for this truck to be a E0TZ 9275-G

This problem has left me stranded multiple times,

Please help,

Thanks Gary, and team,

This is slightly long read but it needs some clarity over the PN's in the Documents section regarding fuel sending units.

So it's been a while and I recently had some time to crawl under the truck and find out why I was having such difficulty with the fuel gauge. I started to run out of fuel for the last time 1/4 mile from the house and was able to limp it in, where I parked it and it died. So, I dropped the tank to see what might be going on, and behold there was DEFINATELY fuel in the tank, I'd sat about 30-50lbs of it. I pulled the sparkly clean sending unit out and held it up to the side of the tank, where ir would be mounted, to see where the pickup tube stopper and it was an easy 4"+ away from the bottom of the tank. I had forgotten where I got that sending unit, but I knew it was not from the company that made the tank. I decided go to the parts store and get the right one. They got it in a couple of days and I brought it home, the weather delayed my install but I took it out of the box and matched up to the old one.... IDENTICAL Pickup tube. I plan to bring this one back, however I don't' know what I should be asking for.

What I know:

The tank is a 4252B from (https://www.gastankdepot.com/4252b-plastic-fuel-gas-tank-ford-pickup-19-gallon.html)

It is side mounted 19 Gallon,

The truck is a standard cab, long bed, with a single fuel tank

The sending unit that I have is a Spectra FG74A (shows that a 19 Gallon mid ship tank is the corresponding tank)

The Fuel gauge shows nearly 1/2 tank, however I have been messing with voltages trying to dial in the fuel level, but I think the level sender is the main issue

Documentation page shows the Sending unit for this truck to be a E0TZ 9275-G

This problem has left me stranded multiple times,

Please help,

I feel your pain. 😖

Earlier this year my side tank started weeping fuel.

When I went to replace it I found the pickup sock had come loose and was floating around in the bottom of the tank.

Obviously this wasn't even close to reaching the bottom of the tank but I had little alternative than to stick it back on the dip tube and reinstall the sender/pickup unit.

Long term I think my solution is to use a flat 'sock' like the Walbro 125-190 and extend my dip tube to the bottom of the tank with a length of hose cut at a diagonal so it can't make a seal.

225l an hour = 60 gallons and that is in line with the spec for a stock 460.

I feel your pain. 😖

Earlier this year my side tank started weeping fuel.

When I went to replace it I found the pickup sock had come loose and was floating around in the bottom of the tank.

Obviously this wasn't even close to reaching the bottom of the tank but I had little alternative than to stick it back on the dip tube and reinstall the sender/pickup unit.

Long term I think my solution is to use a flat 'sock' like the Walbro 125-190 and extend my dip tube to the bottom of the tank with a length of hose cut at a diagonal so it can't make a seal.

225l an hour = 60 gallons and that is in line with the spec for a stock 460.

I think Jim has the right approach for extending the pickup. If you do that please take pics and let us know how it goes.

As for the part numbers, there's no way to correlate the factory numbers to the aftermarket ones. And the aftermarket ones tend to be one-size-fits-all, so the pickups don't always reach the bottom and the range on the sender doesn't map well to Full and Empty. What some people have done is to put a new, empty tank on the bench and looked in via the fill port to determine how much the pickup needs to be extended and how to bend the arm. But that's not easy nor safe with a used tank.