Bullnose Forums

Radiator upgrades

So in the plan is next year a new radiator. The one in the truck works fine but I'd like to get a new one, the old one is pretty grimy and such.

I know I could have it boiled out but I'm wondering if any of you have put in one of the aftermarket aluminum ones with the electric fans?

They look pretty sharp and I'm guessing they work well.

I'd like to add a transmission cooler next year as well so I think a new radiator might be in order.

Thoughts?

I, too, put in a Champion, but mine was a 4-row. It is working very well.

Today I idled the thing for an extended period as I was charging the A/C system and it took at least 30 minutes before the clutch in the cooling fan kicked in, which was at about 208 degrees. So it is cooling things quite well.

I, too, put in a Champion, but mine was a 4-row. It is working very well.

Today I idled the thing for an extended period as I was charging the A/C system and it took at least 30 minutes before the clutch in the cooling fan kicked in, which was at about 208 degrees. So it is cooling things quite well.

Any chance of more info on these radiators? Links or pics? I ended up putting in a spectra unit in my Bronco but now want something nicer

Electric fans are only for newer cars that were built to use them.

Look at any other car / truck sites of people that have gone electric fans and now they over heat.

Then you have to up grade the ALT to a 3G, look at the ALT out put of electric fans cars / trucks, as your old ALT will not be able to put back into the battery what the fans are pulling out.

Just to say you have them is not worth it to me.

Dave ----

I replaced my radiator with an aluminum Spectra unit, not sure if that could be considered an upgrade. I did install electric fans, however, and am completely happy with those. I adapted some Infiniti FX35 fans, which were the right size for our radiators, and a thermostatic control unit so I could control the temp the fans came on at.

They pull about 28 amps when both fans are on high, so your alternator and wiring have to be up to it.

It did take a small amount of fabrication. I don't know of any drop-in solutions for electric fans on these trucks.

Link to more info here: My 81 flareside is going electric!

I replaced my radiator with an aluminum Spectra unit, not sure if that could be considered an upgrade. I did install electric fans, however, and am completely happy with those. I adapted some Infiniti FX35 fans, which were the right size for our radiators, and a thermostatic control unit so I could control the temp the fans came on at.

They pull about 28 amps when both fans are on high, so your alternator and wiring have to be up to it.

It did take a small amount of fabrication. I don't know of any drop-in solutions for electric fans on these trucks.

Link to more info here: My 81 flareside is going electric!

Electric fans aren't a bad idea if you are upgrading the alternator and electrical system. And there's an advantage that I've not seen discussed - cooling for the A/C system.

With a large radiator, like the 4-row Champion on Big Blue, it takes a whole lot of idling to cause the engine-driven fan to come on. Yesterday I was charging the A/C system and the pressures were going higher than they were supposed to - that is until the fan came on. Then they dropped to right about where they should have been and the outlet air temp dropped as well.

But if I had electric fans I could set them up such that any time the A/C compressor was on at least one of them would be on. Yes, that would run that fan more then needed as it would frequently be on going down the highway and it, by itself, wouldn't be needed then. But at least at a stop it'd cool the A/C.

Another option though would be just to add one fan for the A/C and leave the engine-driven fan.