Bullnose Forums

Fuel Line Fix

The 1/4 in replacement line I got seems thinner than the original. Any idea exactly what the diameter of the original is? 5/16 or bigger? Can I use the 1/4 in or will that restrict the fuel flow into the carb too much?

should be 5/16" hardline.

That is what is on my truck is 5/16" line from tank to carb. Going to be replaced with 3/8" hardline as 5/16" is too small for high volume high pressure EFI pump. For a carb 5/16" would be fine for a stock or fairly stock engine. 1/4" I dont think I would trust it, I think it would be too small for the volume you need.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I'm stuck, literally. I figured out that it was 5/16 and I recreated the line. I drove it back to my home town 2 hours away with no problems.

And then...the next day I noticed that it was leaking from where the filter goes into the carb, so I tightened it and stripped it out. It would almost get tight and then loosen again. In hopes that it was just the filter that was stripped, I got another filter (the one pictured) and the same thing is happening, it won't tighten.

I assume I stripped out the female part of the carb? That would mean replacing the carb, I'm sure. If anyone can help, please do. I've really made a mess of this one. Thanks.

20210806_161744.jpg.ff260621b63d57655406af8f90c0dec8.jpg

20210806_161741.jpg.643203191e7004192600f98ac8dd5281.jpg

Now I'm stuck, literally. I figured out that it was 5/16 and I recreated the line. I drove it back to my home town 2 hours away with no problems.

And then...the next day I noticed that it was leaking from where the filter goes into the carb, so I tightened it and stripped it out. It would almost get tight and then loosen again. In hopes that it was just the filter that was stripped, I got another filter (the one pictured) and the same thing is happening, it won't tighten.

I assume I stripped out the female part of the carb? That would mean replacing the carb, I'm sure. If anyone can help, please do. I've really made a mess of this one. Thanks.

Yes, you've probably stripped the carb. But I don't think you'll have to replace the carb. Dorman used to make a repair inlet fitting for that. I believe it had oversized threads and was self-tapping, meaning it cut new, deeper threads. Here's one such but I don't know that this is it: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-help-self-tapping-carburetor-fitting-1-in-inlet-55140/17190380-P. Someone like Jim or Bill will have to tell you what the inlet fitting size is.

Yes, you've probably stripped the carb. But I don't think you'll have to replace the carb. Dorman used to make a repair inlet fitting for that. I believe it had oversized threads and was self-tapping, meaning it cut new, deeper threads. Here's one such but I don't know that this is it: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-help-self-tapping-carburetor-fitting-1-in-inlet-55140/17190380-P. Someone like Jim or Bill will have to tell you what the inlet fitting size is.

That would be a great solution, thanks. Judging by that link, it looks like I would need to switch to an inline filter, no?

That would be a great solution, thanks. Judging by that link, it looks like I would need to switch to an inline filter, no?

Yes if you use that fitting, but I don't know if it is the right one. But there may well be others available.

Let me see if Jim knows the thread size.

Yes if you use that fitting, but I don't know if it is the right one. But there may well be others available.

Let me see if Jim knows the thread size.

As I recall, the thread pitch was 7/8-20 in the fitting used to 1" wrench.

I did buy the oversized repair inlet from dorman, but that was many years ago, and I don't know where the invoice is.

I'll take a look on dorman's website, to see if I can find a part number

As I recall, the thread pitch was 7/8-20 in the fitting used to 1" wrench.

I did buy the oversized repair inlet from dorman, but that was many years ago, and I don't know where the invoice is.

I'll take a look on dorman's website, to see if I can find a part number

Thanks, Jim.

Don't quote me on that.

It was a decade ago, and my thinker isn't nearly as sharp as it used to be.

I am trying to poke around at Dorman.

I'm not sure if they even list the fitting I used anymore.

The Dorman site is NOT easy to use. I'm not finding anything on the carb inlet fix. https://www.dormanproducts.com/pages/resources/catalogs/dorman.aspx?origin=topnav