Bullnose Forums

Need door lock advice for 1981 F150

JohnnyD

Let me check tomorrow, but there is a chance I have an extra slide-style lock. I think I might 'cause Cash swapped out his sliders to pin style and he's the one that discovered that the slide style locks work backward when used with pins.

And I also want to compare the LMC lock with a factory pin-style lock as I think they may have made the locks differently. If so, that's what your problem is.

I'll await your reply.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dane, unfortunately it is more than an extension of the rod. The new one operates at right angles to the old one. To unlock, you'd pull up on a pin or knob on the window sill (like most cars with manual door locks) vs the old one had a slider that slides back and forth above the inside door handle. Arghhh!

Oh yeah, different angle. Didn’t think of that.

Dane, unfortunately it is more than an extension of the rod. The new one operates at right angles to the old one. To unlock, you'd pull up on a pin or knob on the window sill (like most cars with manual door locks) vs the old one had a slider that slides back and forth above the inside door handle. Arghhh!

Oh yeah, different angle. Didn’t think of that.

Ok, GARY IS WRONG! :nabble_smiley_blush:

The only slide-style latches are those in Dad's truck, so I compared that to the spares I have, which are all pin style. And you are right, I don't see a way to use the pin style with the slide locks.

The issue is that lever. On the pin style it gets pulled up/pushed down. On the slide style it has to be pulled forward/pushed back. And you can't pull a slide-style lever up/down nor push a pin-style lever fore/aft.

So I don't know what I was smoking when I said you could swap them. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Given that, I think you will either have to find someone that has a used one or find some place that has them NOS. The part number is F0AZ 5421812-A and Motor City Muscle Cars says they have one for $63. There may be others, but that's what I found with the first search.

Ok, GARY IS WRONG! :nabble_smiley_blush:

The only slide-style latches are those in Dad's truck, so I compared that to the spares I have, which are all pin style. And you are right, I don't see a way to use the pin style with the slide locks.

The issue is that lever. On the pin style it gets pulled up/pushed down. On the slide style it has to be pulled forward/pushed back. And you can't pull a slide-style lever up/down nor push a pin-style lever fore/aft.

So I don't know what I was smoking when I said you could swap them. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Given that, I think you will either have to find someone that has a used one or find some place that has them NOS. The part number is F0AZ 5421812-A and Motor City Muscle Cars says they have one for $63. There may be others, but that's what I found with the first search.

Gary, I'll let you off the hook on this one. I believe the latches setup for sliders will work equally well for pin locks, since the way the lever works, I think it will pull either way. Not so for the pin-only ones, as you have noted, which work in a different plane. Thanks for the link. I'll look it up and let you know. At least when I talked to LMC before purchase they assured me they'd take them back if they didn't fit.

Onward!

John

Gary, I'll let you off the hook on this one. I believe the latches setup for sliders will work equally well for pin locks, since the way the lever works, I think it will pull either way. Not so for the pin-only ones, as you have noted, which work in a different plane. Thanks for the link. I'll look it up and let you know. At least when I talked to LMC before purchase they assured me they'd take them back if they didn't fit.

Onward!

John

John - Thanks for letting me off the hook. :nabble_anim_handshake:

And maybe that is it - the slider-style lock with work for either, but not so the pin-style lock. That would explain why Cash was able to convert to pins with his slider locks, but then discovered that up is lock and down is unlock.

Good luck!

John - Thanks for letting me off the hook. :nabble_anim_handshake:

And maybe that is it - the slider-style lock with work for either, but not so the pin-style lock. That would explain why Cash was able to convert to pins with his slider locks, but then discovered that up is lock and down is unlock.

Good luck!

Gary, I looked up the link you sent and it is just a spreadsheet of parts for "The Paddock" with no contact info or other information. I searched around for this outfit and the web says they went out of business. The spreadsheet appears to be an inventory clearance sale. I suspect you got this from someone's website, but I can't trace it back. Can you give me a few more clues?

Thanks, John

Gary, I looked up the link you sent and it is just a spreadsheet of parts for "The Paddock" with no contact info or other information. I searched around for this outfit and the web says they went out of business. The spreadsheet appears to be an inventory clearance sale. I suspect you got this from someone's website, but I can't trace it back. Can you give me a few more clues?

Thanks, John

Bummer! No, I don't have any clues. I just found that in a search and assumed they were still around. Sorry.

Let's see if David/1986F150Six can find something. I'll tag him.

David - We are looking for F0AZ 5421812-A, which is a right-hand 1980/81 door latch, meaning the one with the slide lock option. Can you help?

Bummer! No, I don't have any clues. I just found that in a search and assumed they were still around. Sorry.

Let's see if David/1986F150Six can find something. I'll tag him.

David - We are looking for F0AZ 5421812-A, which is a right-hand 1980/81 door latch, meaning the one with the slide lock option. Can you help?

Gary, I just ordered the rest of the parts to convert to pin-style locks. However, the door panel I have doesn't have a hole for the pin, and neither does the underlying metal of the door, so I need to drill these. It looks like you have a reference truck that has been converted. Can you make some reference measurements to help me locate the holes in the proper position? Maybe distance from the closed window, and from the latch end of the door or something obvious. This is one of those cases where I want to measure twice (three times?) and drill once.

Thanks, John

P.S. - When I get all the parts I'll carefully document the procedure so someone else will have an easier time than I have had.

Gary, I just ordered the rest of the parts to convert to pin-style locks. However, the door panel I have doesn't have a hole for the pin, and neither does the underlying metal of the door, so I need to drill these. It looks like you have a reference truck that has been converted. Can you make some reference measurements to help me locate the holes in the proper position? Maybe distance from the closed window, and from the latch end of the door or something obvious. This is one of those cases where I want to measure twice (three times?) and drill once.

Thanks, John

P.S. - When I get all the parts I'll carefully document the procedure so someone else will have an easier time than I have had.

Sure! I can do that tomorrow. And if I don't, rattle my cage.

Sure! I can do that tomorrow. And if I don't, rattle my cage.

Well, this isn't the "tomorrow" I'd promised, but here are the measurements nonetheless:

Here's the measurement for the opening from the inside edge of the window opening. Parallax distorts the inside measurement, but the hole is 5/8" wide and starts at 5/16" inside and extends to 15/16".

Pin_Lock_Opening_In_Door_-_2.thumb.jpg.faf388de13982363923810602041645a.jpg

And here are the measurements from towards the rear of the door: 4" to 4 3/4".

Pin_Lock_Opening_In_Door_-_1.thumb.jpg.c872203d059ce2c53fa4dd3a66fab74c.jpgPin_Lock_Opening_In_Door_-_3.thumb.jpg.3876303f20cad03a0fe1c608abefcc84.jpg