Bullnose Forums

302 Fuel Hose Size?

Good morning gents,

I need to know the size of the short little piece of fuel hose on the suction side of the pump in my 84 F150. Anybody know off hand? I don't need to know the length, just the hose size. The truck is not close by at the moment, and I wanted to pick-up the hose today with some other items, and I forgot to check the size. Only a little section of hose, maybe only 4" long, between the fuel pump and the steel line that runs on the frame.

Thanks for your help.

Good morning!

The catalog is so confusing on fuel lines/hoses. I don't find much specific application info, and even what little that is there is weird. And they list sizes from 1/4" ID to 1/2" ID. But, I believe the one you want is either 5/16" or 3/8", so I would grab a piece of both just to be sure.

Good morning!

The catalog is so confusing on fuel lines/hoses. I don't find much specific application info, and even what little that is there is weird. And they list sizes from 1/4" ID to 1/2" ID. But, I believe the one you want is either 5/16" or 3/8", so I would grab a piece of both just to be sure.

Thanks Gary,

I know it is between 1/4" and 3/8", but without having it in front of me didn't know for sure which. I'll grab a couple different pieces just to be sure I guess;). Thanks Gary.

Thanks Gary,

I know it is between 1/4" and 3/8", but without having it in front of me didn't know for sure which. I'll grab a couple different pieces just to be sure I guess;). Thanks Gary.

I am pretty sure it will be 5/16" as even my 460 had 5/16" fuel hose from the frame to the engine.

Thanks Gary,

I'm used to 3/8" supply and 5/16" return.

This my not be the case with your older 302, but I think if you examine the Dorman replacement hoses applicable to your specific truck that is what you will find.

I'm used to 3/8" supply and 5/16" return.

This my not be the case with your older 302, but I think if you examine the Dorman replacement hoses applicable to your specific truck that is what you will find.

That’s my remembrance as well, but I can’t prove it with the catalog.

That’s my remembrance as well, but I can’t prove it with the catalog.

And this is why I suggested looking at the aftermarket catalog that supplies OEM style fuel lines.

FWIW, should probably just change all the lines you have access to at this time.

The parts are cheap.

Rounding up the tools and making time to get in there is the hurdle.

I am pretty sure it will be 5/16"...

Well I am home now and the connector line is indeed 5/16", and a whopping 3" long. I have no idea if that is the original line, but that's how I bought it.

I do plan on replacing the fuel tank and the hard steel line if it looks bad, but I'm trying to wait until I take the box off the truck to get at some of those projects.

Thanks for the help guys.

I am pretty sure it will be 5/16"...

Well I am home now and the connector line is indeed 5/16", and a whopping 3" long. I have no idea if that is the original line, but that's how I bought it.

I do plan on replacing the fuel tank and the hard steel line if it looks bad, but I'm trying to wait until I take the box off the truck to get at some of those projects.

Thanks for the help guys.

There should be a hose from the tank to the hard line, and you should replace that one as well, like Jim suggested. I’ve seen those lines ooze gas right through the sidewall.

There should be a hose from the tank to the hard line, and you should replace that one as well, like Jim suggested. I’ve seen those lines ooze gas right through the sidewall.

Yes sir, I'll be replacing that one as well when I drop the tank. I've kinda set that project aside until I remove the Flareside box for rehab next winter. Clean up the back half of the frame, and change the fuel tank.