Bullnose Forums

Starter engaged while driving

I am planning to check and reset my timing this week. The truck is idling a couple hundred RPM higher with the new module and I am thinking that if voltge was shorted to the retard wire inside the module it may have had my timng retarded a little bit all the time. I had the timing set to 13 deg and im curious if its not a little higher now. I had some problem with my timing moving around a few months ago but I thought the distributor may have slipped. so i locked it down a little tighter and marked it with a sharpie. Now im thinking it may have just been the module moving the timing around. I know plenty of people have said it before but if your using DS2 ignition stick with the Motorcraft brand module. You cant trust the parts house brands for this part.

It surely does sound like your ignition module was retarded all the time.

In fact, that's one way to tell that your start retard function is actually working.

If you had it set at 13° before then I would definitely be concerned, because the one millisecond delay should work out to about 3-4° according to Gary.

16° might be a bit much now.

Keep an ear out for rattle when tipping in the throttle from cruise.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It surely does sound like your ignition module was retarded all the time.

In fact, that's one way to tell that your start retard function is actually working.

If you had it set at 13° before then I would definitely be concerned, because the one millisecond delay should work out to about 3-4° according to Gary.

16° might be a bit much now.

Keep an ear out for rattle when tipping in the throttle from cruise.

Yes, it does sound like the module was retarded. (Pun intended. :nabble_smiley_wink:)

And, I agree you'd better check what you have now for the initial timing as you might have too much. However, if it is really at 16 I'd expect it to kick back on starting w/o the retard feature hooked up, so maybe it isn't advanced that far.

Yes, it does sound like the module was retarded. (Pun intended. :nabble_smiley_wink:)

And, I agree you'd better check what you have now for the initial timing as you might have too much. However, if it is really at 16 I'd expect it to kick back on starting w/o the retard feature hooked up, so maybe it isn't advanced that far.

But the start retard feature will be hooked up.... :nabble_smiley_thinking:

So it's going to be no different than it was before, except the timing advances 3-4° once the key is let off.

Checked the timing last night and as I suspected it was at 17deg. I reset to 10deg. and will start running it up a few degrees at a time and test driving. It seeems to like 13deg. but im going to run it up a little at a time to confirm now that I have everything working correctly.

Checked the timing last night and as I suspected it was at 17deg. I reset to 10deg. and will start running it up a few degrees at a time and test driving. It seeems to like 13deg. but im going to run it up a little at a time to confirm now that I have everything working correctly.

At up to 13 degrees it should keep responding better and better. But as Jim said, listen for a rattle on tip-in from cruise.