Bullnose Forums

New member with a 1980 F250 4x4

WJH308

Hello all, thanks for sharing this forum with me. Buying from a friend a 1980 F250 4x4 that apparently was built for fire service? The Vin has a few extra letters in it beyond the engine and location code. I’m still learning about all of this but apparently it has a really good front end and a upgraded transmission. Front and rear posi. Has a nice lumber rack on it. The engine is blown. My friend let some one borrow it and he drove it with no oil, so I’m looking at either another 351 or a 460, or what ever you guys may suggest. It needs some bodywork as well. 09CA2975-A7D5-4413-86B3-7A0C61626449.jpeg.101c0d7731104fdf2f592fd1c342418d.jpeg

I’ll be taking the truck in shortly for the new engine, I was told it wasn’t the C6. The shop will know what it has. I’ll look at the 400 option.

The 400 was the largest of the 335 series engines and commonly found in land barges sold during the '70's & early '80's.

While it doesn't seem to get much love because it was so hobbled by the crude approach to emissions controls at the time they can be built to perform quite well.

The owner of this forum, Gary, has one installed in his father's truck.

Looking back on that build thread I realize that the deck height is the same as the 351M, and only differs from the 351 Cleveland that predated it.

The 400 differs from the 351M in crank throw and piston height.

I'm sure he can fill you in on the details, but not having to change things like the exhaust system and engine mounting perches would go a long way toward swaying me from considering a 460.

The 400 was the largest of the 335 series engines and commonly found in land barges sold during the '70's & early '80's.

While it doesn't seem to get much love because it was so hobbled by the crude approach to emissions controls at the time they can be built to perform quite well.

The owner of this forum, Gary, has one installed in his father's truck.

Looking back on that build thread I realize that the deck height is the same as the 351M, and only differs from the 351 Cleveland that predated it.

The 400 differs from the 351M in crank throw and piston height.

I'm sure he can fill you in on the details, but not having to change things like the exhaust system and engine mounting perches would go a long way toward swaying me from considering a 460.

Welcome! Glad you joined! :nabble_anim_handshake:

I agree with Jim - I'd go with a 400. While they don't have the "love" and aftermarket support of a 460, they can be very strong. And not having to change a lot of things would make it so much easier than a 460. (And probably a lot less thirsty.)

To get started on learning about what you have, go here: Documentation/Specifications/Certification Label. Or, if you want to jump right in and decode the VIN go here: Documentation/Specifications/VIN Decoding. But note the difference between a 1980 VIN and a 1981 and later VIN.

Back on the engine, as I said the 335 Series doesn't have the aftermarket support of the 351W or the 460. But there is support. And my recommendation is that you scope out what Tim Meyer, of TMeyer fame, has to offer. One of the problems with building a 351M is that no one makes pistons that will give a good compression ratio for them. But slip a 400 crank in the block, assuming that your engine is a 351M, and you'll find that Tim has the pistons you need to have a reasonable compression ratio.

Welcome! Glad you joined! :nabble_anim_handshake:

I agree with Jim - I'd go with a 400. While they don't have the "love" and aftermarket support of a 460, they can be very strong. And not having to change a lot of things would make it so much easier than a 460. (And probably a lot less thirsty.)

To get started on learning about what you have, go here: Documentation/Specifications/Certification Label. Or, if you want to jump right in and decode the VIN go here: Documentation/Specifications/VIN Decoding. But note the difference between a 1980 VIN and a 1981 and later VIN.

Back on the engine, as I said the 335 Series doesn't have the aftermarket support of the 351W or the 460. But there is support. And my recommendation is that you scope out what Tim Meyer, of TMeyer fame, has to offer. One of the problems with building a 351M is that no one makes pistons that will give a good compression ratio for them. But slip a 400 crank in the block, assuming that your engine is a 351M, and you'll find that Tim has the pistons you need to have a reasonable compression ratio.

And I guess I'm going to also strongly suggest the 400 & TMeyer approach.....

I a also going to suggest a 400 as well.

Depends what the shop can find for a decent price.

I do like the fact the 351W has a ton of aftermarket parts, but it seems the 1980 model had the 351M, but my VIN indicates a 302. So the current engine isn’t original, which means I don’t really know what I’m working with until he gets it up on the lift.

A2258362-4196-4F81-B660-E7CA2F55E8F4.jpeg.c27764f75c372b83c1a6e2baf6766841.jpeg