Bullnose Forums

No Start No crank

Went to start my 82’ F150, it tried to turn over so I did my usual spray of starting fluid went to go start again and nothing. I have only replaced my starter solenoid but still nothing. I’ve seen a few posts regarding this issue just trying to work through the troubleshooting list before I spend time and money replacing starters etc for it to be a simple oversight.

When you say "nothing", so no lights or anything on the dash?

First is to make sure the battery is up to the job, should have 12.5 volts anything under 12 it needs a charge or be replaced.

If the battery is charged then I would pull every connection and clean them really good.

No lights or anything a bad connection on either side of the battery could be the cause.

Ground should go to the motor / trans, to the frame and to the body.

Pos. of battery to the relay, out of relay to lug on starter.

The relay needs to be grounded to the body and why the body needs to be grounded.

If the ground to motor / trans is bad no lights / start.

Dont forget to clean the battery connections.

Check that all out and let us know what you find.

Dave ----

When you say "nothing", so no lights or anything on the dash?

First is to make sure the battery is up to the job, should have 12.5 volts anything under 12 it needs a charge or be replaced.

If the battery is charged then I would pull every connection and clean them really good.

No lights or anything a bad connection on either side of the battery could be the cause.

Ground should go to the motor / trans, to the frame and to the body.

Pos. of battery to the relay, out of relay to lug on starter.

The relay needs to be grounded to the body and why the body needs to be grounded.

If the ground to motor / trans is bad no lights / start.

Dont forget to clean the battery connections.

Check that all out and let us know what you find.

Dave ----

I agree with Dave. Start with the battery and go from there.

• 1 month later...

Got her going again, was starter solenoid bad battery terminals and the battery was toast and wouldn’t hold a charge.

Hey olblue, howzabout fleshing out your sig so we know your motor etc for next time?

Starting problems on a 6.9 IDI are quite a bit different from, say, a 300cid six.

Reno