Bullnose Forums

Does anybody else build models of their full size vehicles?

(Gary, if this is too off-topic feel free to move or remove)

Whenever I have a vehicle that I care about (as opposed to an appliance to get from A to B), I try to see if there is a model kit out there for it. It turns out there is a Revell model kit that is pretty close to my truck, so I bought it and tried to build it to look like the big truck, shown here.

15034B18-94E3-47F8-B62C-BC4453CFA530.jpeg.05caa4b1bc4b1f0a38d1db74e75047ca.jpeg

Kind of a crappy picture as far as lighting goes, but you get the idea. Lotta Texas patina.

So I just finished the little version, here it is.

219ED3F3-F6E4-45EF-81C6-64C429C54E05.jpeg.ad2309a51649259b2ac98040531f4be9.jpeg

Anybody else build little versions of their truck?

I actually have that kit to build a replica of my truck. I also sourced 1/24 scale KO1 tires since KO2s are not offered

Im also looking at grabbing the Baja Bronco kit to rob the car mirrors out of it to install on mine as my truck doesnt have the dual arm mirrors. Im also looking at getting the 1991 F350 Dually kit as well to rob the twin I beam front suspension out as this ranger kit is a 4x4 and my truck isnt. Im also going to cut the inner fenders out of the '91 kit as the Ranger kit has inner fenders from the late 70s and isnt correct either.

I just dont build at this moment as I dont have a proper build area and I lost interest with my #22 Fireball Roberts '57 Fairlane kit I started 3 years ago having to dig my equipment out every time.

But I do have kits of my vehicles where possible or I have kits with resin bodies or seeking out resin bodies to build mine.

This isn't off-topic. No problemo.

I used to build models, long long ago. But didn't realize there are decent ones of Bullnose trucks. I like it!

This is the kit if you are interested in getting it. Just be warned under the hood it has the previous generation design but there is a '91 F350 with a 2wd Twin Ibeam front suspension as well as the correct style inner fenders under the hood. You can also pick up the late 70s Baja Bronco for the car mirrors if yours has the car mirrors like mine.

hqdefault.jpg.6c61c1df2fb8a93e67c4ffad4d689d0c.jpg

The kit comes with chrome wagon wheels so for me all Id have to do is primer and paint white then come back and chrome the lug nuts and center caps then install aftermarket chrome beauty rings.

This is the stock photo of the soft rubber KO1 BFG tires I bought they are proper 31x10.50-15 for my build.

FMR-027_feature_med.jpg.b03d40c039f118ed41d89c35d0b8e7aa.jpg

Lots of aftermarket parts out there as well.

I bought these to rob the chrome stockers for use on my '63 build for the rear.

AMT_PP021.jpg.dae6e0de865b788ea0df50b38d6769f5.jpg

I bought this to use on the chrome stockers on the back of my '63 build as well as to use on my Ford Thunderbolt build as well.

AMT_PP01.jpg.e4b99fa0a1129461460b6f70f775e271.jpg

I also bought these to throw on the front of my '63 build

Cragar_SS_mags.jpg.ebedcf14910b3615f2b47ee400ef8261.jpg

I bought these for my two '56 builds as well as my '63 build for the front.

amt-firestone-deluxe-champion-tires.jpg.b4a42d9f84a5d3ab3c1875cf3c056303.jpg

Its been a long time since I built models but when I came back into it I was amazed at the aftermarket offerings and started buying up what I could where I could.

Im also looking at grabbing the Baja Bronco kit to rob the car mirrors out of it to install on mine as my truck doesnt have the dual arm mirrors. Im also looking at getting the 1991 F350 Dually kit as well to rob the twin I beam front suspension out as this ranger kit is a 4x4 and my truck isnt. Im also going to cut the inner fenders out of the '91 kit as the Ranger kit has inner fenders from the late 70s and isnt correct either.

Do you subscribe to Motor Trend TV? Steve Magnante has a show called "Super Models" where he does this kind of stuff - mixing and matching parts from different models to create a custom model of a vehicle he had, or maybe some famous vehicle like a Sox & Martin drag car.

I just dont build at this moment as I dont have a proper build area and I lost interest with my #22 Fireball Roberts '57 Fairlane kit I started 3 years ago having to dig my equipment out every time.

I didn't realize anyone made a kit with old Fairlanes. I had a 1958 Fairlane project (full size, obviously) for a number of years, I would have built a kit for it if I had known one was made. Probably hard to adapt the 57's single headlights to a double-headlight 58 look, so the kit would have to be 58-specific.

I sold that car on one of those "reality" TV shows, one called Misfit Garage, which was a spin-off of the Gas Monkey show. Guess that was my 15 minutes of fame! S1E7, 2nd segment.

This is the kit if you are interested in getting it. Just be warned under the hood it has the previous generation design but there is a '91 F350 with a 2wd Twin Ibeam front suspension as well as the correct style inner fenders under the hood. You can also pick up the late 70s Baja Bronco for the car mirrors if yours has the car mirrors like mine.

The kit comes with chrome wagon wheels so for me all Id have to do is primer and paint white then come back and chrome the lug nuts and center caps then install aftermarket chrome beauty rings.

This is the stock photo of the soft rubber KO1 BFG tires I bought they are proper 31x10.50-15 for my build.

Lots of aftermarket parts out there as well.

I bought these to rob the chrome stockers for use on my '63 build for the rear.

I bought this to use on the chrome stockers on the back of my '63 build as well as to use on my Ford Thunderbolt build as well.

I also bought these to throw on the front of my '63 build

I bought these for my two '56 builds as well as my '63 build for the front.

Its been a long time since I built models but when I came back into it I was amazed at the aftermarket offerings and started buying up what I could where I could.

I LOVE models. I have about 200 displayed in the dining room. And a couple hundrde more scattered through the house. Even the bathrooms have cars displayed where guys can see them while doing theior business. Only rooms without models is master bath (wife says NO cars) and "her" kitchen even though I do the cooking.

I have a 76 F100 built like my father in law's in honor. Wife was even asking other night if I could get a model of our truck to display with her dad's. Problem is mine is flareside, dangit. Would take a couple kits and some serious work to make the flat sides. But I see Ebay is ready to help me! lol.

Do you subscribe to Motor Trend TV? Steve Magnante has a show called "Super Models" where he does this kind of stuff - mixing and matching parts from different models to create a custom model of a vehicle he had, or maybe some famous vehicle like a Sox & Martin drag car.

I didn't realize anyone made a kit with old Fairlanes. I had a 1958 Fairlane project (full size, obviously) for a number of years, I would have built a kit for it if I had known one was made. Probably hard to adapt the 57's single headlights to a double-headlight 58 look, so the kit would have to be 58-specific.

I sold that car on one of those "reality" TV shows, one called Misfit Garage, which was a spin-off of the Gas Monkey show. Guess that was my 15 minutes of fame! S1E7, 2nd segment.

Nope, I really dont watch TV but I do follow like 20 different youtubers that do model building to dioramas. Kit bashing as its called is quite popular mixing kits together. For my truck the kit bashing is to get the necessary parts to make it look right like to get the car mirrors I need to get the bronco kit that has them to rob the mirrors off of. To get the correct 80 under hood fender layout Id have to get the '91 F350 kit to cut the piece off. Same way to get the 2wd Twin I beam. The transmission I will buy separate there are guys out there selling resin 3D printed C6 transmissions.

On the '58 Fairlane, Star Models makes a semi resin kit of a '58 Fairlane that is complete except for the axels and its what is known as a curb side model which means no opening hood.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/star-models-1958-ford-fairlane-hardtop--943382

I have a '56 Victoria kit and I sourced two resin Town Sedan bodies so I can build the kit as my Fairlane. The mold was quite old and the guy who built the mold was able to get me two pulls but I dont have the fender skirts nor the hood but I can source the hood from the kit as its the same.

25-1956-ford-door-resin-body-hood_1_b773843f0430ab497893c4d2ac53244a-1.jpg.766b800032bc71eadab6df14190443fa.jpg

I LOVE models. I have about 200 displayed in the dining room. And a couple hundrde more scattered through the house. Even the bathrooms have cars displayed where guys can see them while doing theior business. Only rooms without models is master bath (wife says NO cars) and "her" kitchen even though I do the cooking.

I have a 76 F100 built like my father in law's in honor. Wife was even asking other night if I could get a model of our truck to display with her dad's. Problem is mine is flareside, dangit. Would take a couple kits and some serious work to make the flat sides. But I see Ebay is ready to help me! lol.

You can build a 76 F100 flareside.

Pick up this kit here which appears to be a rebox of the old '76 truck.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/amt-858-1978-ford-4x4-pickup--261453

Then go over to Fireball models he has a 8ft flare side bed conversion. Part Number FMR-177. That appears to be a 70s flare side bed it doesnt state what year it is.

https://fireballmodels.info/

Aside from that I got quite a few kits built but they are old kits most in bad shape due to wear and tear with only a couple being in decent shape for being in a enclosed display case. But I do want to rebuild all of those with new kits though. Currently I am expanding my stash with a bunch of different kits from figures to ships to trains to cars.

Then go over to Fireball models he has a 8ft flare side bed conversion. Part Number FMR-177. That appears to be a 70s flare side bed it doesnt state what year it is.

Aside from that I got quite a few kits built but they are old kits most in bad shape due to wear and tear with only a couple being in decent shape for being in a enclosed display case. But I do want to rebuild all of those with new kits though. Currently I am expanding my stash with a bunch of different kits from figures to ships to trains to cars.

I need an 80. I have a Motormax diecast 79 and the First Gear 76 diecast. And I have my terminology mixed up. STYLESIDE is what I need. I swear my brain is nothing more than a dusty storage place anymore.

So I have ordered the revell kit and an extra cab available in ebay. I *think* I have the F350 duallie at home, if I didn't throw it out yet. It's falling apart from too many moves. If I can hack the duallie bed apart and drop in the sides from the extra cab... It will be a large project, but I'm mapping it out in my mind. The non duallie would be better but not going to search and destroy a good kit. And didn't see any built up/junk for sale on ebay.

Someone on MCM forum sent me a link to these wheels, https://madmodeling.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=dogdishtruck&sid=hy7391ay359am4883510997fe1139855

Those will match close enough. They also have transmissions and the T56 will be close enough to look like the one in my truck. THey have a C6 for like $3.95

The junk duallie should have front suspension still as well. I think that will be close enough... IF I can get it to look right from a few feet away, I'll be satisfied. I'm fortunate to have dedicated building area for models in my outbuilding. I can work a while and leave it til next time. I have a "go kit" to be able to do stuff in the house too.

Steve Magnante's stuff is interesting, if not always my thing. His "funny Car folk art" was just weird. I can't build like that. Has to be a little more done.

Here's the last car I completed:

IMG_20201010_113114636_HDR.thumb.jpg.0c930706ac54623405a728ca681b66e5.jpg

I need an 80. I have a Motormax diecast 79 and the First Gear 76 diecast. And I have my terminology mixed up. STYLESIDE is what I need. I swear my brain is nothing more than a dusty storage place anymore.

So I have ordered the revell kit and an extra cab available in ebay. I *think* I have the F350 duallie at home, if I didn't throw it out yet. It's falling apart from too many moves. If I can hack the duallie bed apart and drop in the sides from the extra cab... It will be a large project, but I'm mapping it out in my mind. The non duallie would be better but not going to search and destroy a good kit. And didn't see any built up/junk for sale on ebay.

Someone on MCM forum sent me a link to these wheels, https://madmodeling.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=dogdishtruck&sid=hy7391ay359am4883510997fe1139855

Those will match close enough. They also have transmissions and the T56 will be close enough to look like the one in my truck. THey have a C6 for like $3.95

The junk duallie should have front suspension still as well. I think that will be close enough... IF I can get it to look right from a few feet away, I'll be satisfied. I'm fortunate to have dedicated building area for models in my outbuilding. I can work a while and leave it til next time. I have a "go kit" to be able to do stuff in the house too.

Steve Magnante's stuff is interesting, if not always my thing. His "funny Car folk art" was just weird. I can't build like that. Has to be a little more done.

Here's the last car I completed:

I used to build plastic models when I was a teenager, and even belonged to a local plastic modeler's club. The level of detail some of those guys put into their builds was just incredible.