Bullnose Forums

New User from Chicago area ‘85 F150

Hey Everyone,

I recently bought a 1985 F150 5.0L V8 w/Carb Automatic 2wd long bed as a project truck for my two older kids (now 12 & 10) and I. I do woodworking and build furniture so was looking for an old truck to serve both purposes of hauling wood and teaching my kids (both about woodworking and old trucks).

The truck starts and idles well. Some work to do as it has trouble with dying during acceleration when in drive. Been working to diagnose the potential issues, and what the previous owner did... So far seems to be fuel related and the engine not getting enough gas for acceleration.

Still getting acquainted with the whole forum, so will start posting soon to get your advice.

We’re just outside of Chicago in Lemont, IL. Look forward to connecting.

Thank you in advance! Ben

5AC3C3B1-968A-4003-991C-A8657F3D906E.thumb.jpeg.d301e3b789681393e098873c043cf5cc.jpeg

Welcome, Ben! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

How 'bout adding "Ben" to your signature? Your call, but I find it a lot more friendly if we can call each other by our names.

Lemont, IL. Used to live in Elgin, so know the area. Want to be on our map? Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu.

You'll have fun learning on that truck. Since it has a carb it'll be fairly simple, although it is probably a feedback system w/a computer so that complicates it some.

Anyway, welcome and I look forward to following your progress with it. And if at some point you want your kids to join then go for it. We strive to keep it family friendly, and I let my 9 yo granddaughter peruse the site.

Hey Brian!

Randomly saw it for sale in Romeoville. Not sure where she originally came from.

Thanks for connecting!

I'm at quite a few of the new lenox, Tinley and the Konows Farm shows run by Lemont car club. If you see my truck up there be sure to shake a hand. You'll be glad you found this forum, a lot of knowledgeable members.

Welcome Ben! :nabble_waving_orig:

I don't think the accelerator pump is too difficult on those carbs.

But the electronic controls can prove finicky.

Bill Vose, one of our senior members used to run a carburetor and tune-up shop.

He's a wealth of information, and can walk you through it if you are methodical about the steps.