Bullnose Forums

Gas leak, occasional power loss

The metal line that goes all the way from the vent valve on top of the tank to nowhere at the front of the truck....

I assume this used to go to a long gone charcoal canister of some type? Can I just eliminate most of it and just leave a small vent tube?

Thanks

The charcoal canister would probably be on the frame rail behind the battery.

You can leave it off but will likely get a whiff of fumes in warm weather.

If you park inside the garage will stink.

The charcoal canister would probably be on the frame rail behind the battery.

You can leave it off but will likely get a whiff of fumes in warm weather.

If you park inside the garage will stink.

Mine did as Jim said, would smell of gas when parked. I had my charcoal canisters still.

One canister is still on the truck with that line going to it then up to the carb. No more smell.

Might be able to find one at a junkyard.

• 3 weeks later...

Also check your fuel lines. The rubber hoses from the tank to the hard line, and from the hard line to the fuel pump. And from the hard line to the switching valve and back to the hard line if you have dual tanks.

The hoses can get so bad that they allow air in, which kills the pump's ability to move gas to the carb. I've had a truck die on me repeatedly until I replaced the hoses.

I am thinking Gary wins the prize ! The truck finally got to the point where it would not start. I replaced the fuel filter , no go. Fuel pump , no go. Pulled the fuel line from the sensing unit it to the metal fuel line and it looks pretty bad. If I hold my finger on one end and blow air comes out of the small perforated looking holes . Off to get some fuel line!

923D9059-3E6B-402A-AC4B-332B5F2759F6.jpeg.d8435cdacd79dd83bde2e82806b731e2.jpeg

Thanks again everyone,

Josh

I am thinking Gary wins the prize ! The truck finally got to the point where it would not start. I replaced the fuel filter , no go. Fuel pump , no go. Pulled the fuel line from the sensing unit it to the metal fuel line and it looks pretty bad. If I hold my finger on one end and blow air comes out of the small perforated looking holes . Off to get some fuel line!

Thanks again everyone,

Josh

Been there, done that, several times. Which is why I think of it in these situations. Glad you found it. :nabble_smiley_good:

Been there, done that, several times. Which is why I think of it in these situations. Glad you found it. :nabble_smiley_good:

Thought I posted this but I guess not. I’ll replace the fuel hose tomorrow. I have been thinking about driving the truck to the Adirondacks about 300 miles. Can’t see why it wouldn’t make it ? I’ll change the gear oil and tie rod ends first . I got a new sending unit also which will hopefully fix the fuel gauge.

Thought I posted this but I guess not. I’ll replace the fuel hose tomorrow. I have been thinking about driving the truck to the Adirondacks about 300 miles. Can’t see why it wouldn’t make it ? I’ll change the gear oil and tie rod ends first . I got a new sending unit also which will hopefully fix the fuel gauge.

I hope you got ethanol compatible hose. Not all hose is. I have a picture somewhere of what I buy at O'Reilly's, but I can't find it. Anyway, it says on it that it is compatible.

With a few changes and checks I'd think your truck would be able to make 300 miles.

I hope you got ethanol compatible hose. Not all hose is. I have a picture somewhere of what I buy at O'Reilly's, but I can't find it. Anyway, it says on it that it is compatible.

With a few changes and checks I'd think your truck would be able to make 300 miles.

Will look for that at autozone . I would think if it can do 100 miles it should do 300. I’d prob bring spare belts, alternator , water pump etc. I took a vw bus from NJ to key west and back when I was younger and more foolish. I brought new heads , brakes , carbs , belts and whatever else I could think of with me. If it started back then I drove it!

I think anything major on the truck that was wrong would rear it’s ugly head with some warning . No gears slipping , no smoke etc.

Will look for that at autozone . I would think if it can do 100 miles it should do 300. I’d prob bring spare belts, alternator , water pump etc. I took a vw bus from NJ to key west and back when I was younger and more foolish. I brought new heads , brakes , carbs , belts and whatever else I could think of with me. If it started back then I drove it!

I think anything major on the truck that was wrong would rear it’s ugly head with some warning . No gears slipping , no smoke etc.

In '69 Janey and I drove a 50's VW van on vacation for several hundred miles. No spares, no nothing. The alternator light came on about halfway through the trip, but since we didn't use any lights as we were driving in the daytime I didn't worry about it. And we made it home. :nabble_smiley_scared:

Anyway, if your truck is making 100 mile trips it'll probably make 300 miles. But, good luck!

• 1 month later...

In '69 Janey and I drove a 50's VW van on vacation for several hundred miles. No spares, no nothing. The alternator light came on about halfway through the trip, but since we didn't use any lights as we were driving in the daytime I didn't worry about it. And we made it home. :nabble_smiley_scared:

Anyway, if your truck is making 100 mile trips it'll probably make 300 miles. But, good luck!

Those VW days were some fun times ! No more power loss issues since replacing the hose. I replaced all the rubber hoses and the fuel pump for good measure. The truck is running “ok” . The exhaust smells some and I have some smoke while idling. Not a blue but more a grayish color. Pulled the plugs and they don’t look great. Any opinions appreciated ! Idle mixture is set about 1.5 turns out but before the power loss I had set it by vacuum gauge . The carb was an old carter that was rebuilt and sitting on a shelf for a long time before I bought it on eBay. Haven’t touched it except for adding the electric choke which works properly and the idle mixture screw.

Spark plugs are in order from front of truck towards the windshield .

C33D558A-BC50-4BE2-9AA5-F2B3C8A793BE.jpeg.d6fbf836e58dcc9301664fb52b00646f.jpeg

Thanks as always !

Josh

Those VW days were some fun times ! No more power loss issues since replacing the hose. I replaced all the rubber hoses and the fuel pump for good measure. The truck is running “ok” . The exhaust smells some and I have some smoke while idling. Not a blue but more a grayish color. Pulled the plugs and they don’t look great. Any opinions appreciated ! Idle mixture is set about 1.5 turns out but before the power loss I had set it by vacuum gauge . The carb was an old carter that was rebuilt and sitting on a shelf for a long time before I bought it on eBay. Haven’t touched it except for adding the electric choke which works properly and the idle mixture screw.

Spark plugs are in order from front of truck towards the windshield .

Thanks as always !

Josh

This is a great story and one that benefits all of us as we work to fix and restore these old trucks. Glad you got it fixed and thanks for following up on the fix, Josh.