Bullnose Forums

It ran ran Fine Yesterday, well kind of, and now it doesn't start

There's no threaded hole under that second grounding tab. It was never attached.

The brass tongue on the other side is enough. (although it is the only ground point for the entire ignition system)

No, the pickup coil should not be free to change the gap between itself and the reluctor wheel.

That dimension is fairly critical.

Maybe it has come free from its mounting plate?

Thanks Jim,

so what you're saying is that, the sketching looking connection on the other side of the grounding termination is "Suspect" I agree. Although, since we agree that the coil for the pick up should NOT be loose. I'll start with replacing that. During which time I'll put in the little extra work to clean up that area before Install the new one.

Does anyone have a recommended manufacturer or PN to replace this component with? I'm currently looking at a Standard Motor Products LX204:

Capture.jpg.a76f6e4b5dfe31fd2015299a9c7800fe.jpg

Thanks Jim,

so what you're saying is that, the sketching looking connection on the other side of the grounding termination is "Suspect" I agree. Although, since we agree that the coil for the pick up should NOT be loose. I'll start with replacing that. During which time I'll put in the little extra work to clean up that area before Install the new one.

Does anyone have a recommended manufacturer or PN to replace this component with? I'm currently looking at a Standard Motor Products LX204:

It certainly couldn't hurt to clean up the housing with scotchbrite and put a tiny amount of silicone grease to stave off oxidation when you install the new pickup.

I'm afraid I don't have any recommended brands any more. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Back when these trucks were built, Standard (and their Blue Streak line) were top notch ignition components.

I wouldn't hesitate to use the LX204, but I can't vouch for it.

We do our best to get quality components, but times change.

Thanks Jim,

I had a problem with both Standard pickups from NAPA.

Ended up ordering a Motorcraft.

Search the forum for Non EEC 460 distributor.

Edit: removed link as it’s not working for me. Add text.

Thank Jim, Thanks Dane.

I'll let you know how it turns out, I imagine much better than it had been before.

Does any one know where I can find the connectors for my ignition harness? I'll have a new Module and new Pickup coil for installation but the poor plugs and the harness are in sad shape....

Harness_Tired_1a.jpg.6e9871ae4cfff415d244232b7db34bb8.jpg

Harness_Tired_2a.jpg.bf67ce8a10c993337d7fbdee8234a650.jpg

Thank Jim, Thanks Dane.

I'll let you know how it turns out, I imagine much better than it had been before.

Does any one know where I can find the connectors for my ignition harness? I'll have a new Module and new Pickup coil for installation but the poor plugs and the harness are in sad shape....

The module side (4 pin) is available, but the orange/purple/black distributor side is not available to the best of my knowledge.

Except as part of the Painle$$ Wiring DuraSpark harness. (#30812, $86!)

And I can't see paying that much for 4 connectors and a couple feet of wire...

You do get a ballast resistor that you don't need if you wire it in as stock where there was a DuraSpark II already.

That's good to know, Dane! :nabble_anim_handshake:

Thanks for sharing your experience and setting the record straight.

Dane,

Am I searching for the entire Distributor? or just the internal components associated with that DistributorCapture.jpg.e8663af39825f028d9fdf6b710760a40.jpg?

Dane,

Am I searching for the entire Distributor? or just the internal components associated with that Distributor?

I replaced 12A112, the pick up coil, probably not the right terminology, but what I use.

If you get the Standard I’m curious to how it works for you.

I replaced 12A112, the pick up coil, probably not the right terminology, but what I use.

If you get the Standard I’m curious to how it works for you.

AH! So not the Standard Motor Products brand, but NAPA/Echlin parts?

Sorry, I think I got confused. :nabble_smiley_what: