Bullnose Forums

It ran ran Fine Yesterday, well kind of, and now it doesn't start

Dave,

Not my first engine with a Carb, but the first time I'm doing things right with a Carb'd Truck.

******************8Gary and Gsm ! You guys were right! TOO LEAN***************

1 Turn of choke plate adjustment screw (5?)and it fired right up. I tried it just before and I started and nothing, it didn't matter when I even pumped the pedal. I stopped, I went and turned the screw, voilia! Started it right up.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n99942/W-H-2lwrq7OxD_PXs3tTWMbKb9USiRX9TJBHvbUI7TeBkXt45-M3WJWISqRo8sD7SJsIdjsRa6nl83tQ3toIx-hLNxAUuYp1jJa5pV1SPemu_l37JfJV25HBw8pykNn2l4A1ZmkBMeHT.w-h-2lwrq7oxd_pxs3ttwmbkb9usirx9tjbhvbui7tebkxt45-m3wjwisqro8sd7sjsidjsra6nl83tq3toix-hlnxauuyp1jja5pv1spemu_l37jfjv25hbw8pyknn2l4a1zmkbmeht

I knew I asked the right crew, so happy I didn't go diggin' into anything too deep,

Thanks again

It was not meant to put you down but we have a lot of new owners that have never owned a carbed motor and whatneeds to be done, move throttle to set choke, before starting.

Good to hear just a little adjustment and it is better.

Dave ----

Dave,

Not my first engine with a Carb, but the first time I'm doing things right with a Carb'd Truck.

******************8Gary and Gsm ! You guys were right! TOO LEAN***************

1 Turn of choke plate adjustment screw (5?)and it fired right up. I tried it just before and I started and nothing, it didn't matter when I even pumped the pedal. I stopped, I went and turned the screw, voilia! Started it right up.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n99942/W-H-2lwrq7OxD_PXs3tTWMbKb9USiRX9TJBHvbUI7TeBkXt45-M3WJWISqRo8sD7SJsIdjsRa6nl83tQ3toIx-hLNxAUuYp1jJa5pV1SPemu_l37JfJV25HBw8pykNn2l4A1ZmkBMeHT.w-h-2lwrq7oxd_pxs3ttwmbkb9usirx9tjbhvbui7tebkxt45-m3wjwisqro8sd7sjsidjsra6nl83tq3toix-hlnxauuyp1jja5pv1spemu_l37jfjv25hbw8pyknn2l4a1zmkbmeht

I knew I asked the right crew, so happy I didn't go diggin' into anything too deep,

Thanks again

It was not meant to put you down but we have a lot of new owners that have never owned a carbed motor and whatneeds to be done, move throttle to set choke, before starting.

Good to hear just a little adjustment and it is better.

Dave ----

No offense taken here Dave, we're cool.

I can 100% understand the situation, I've always been pretty good with Carb tuning on my smaller engines, but this is the first time I've really explored it with something that I drive regularly.

Thanks again,

• 2 weeks later...

No offense taken here Dave, we're cool.

I can 100% understand the situation, I've always been pretty good with Carb tuning on my smaller engines, but this is the first time I've really explored it with something that I drive regularly.

Thanks again,

Wait! It happened again,

I suspect that I'm just a bit close to the edge of properly adjusted. Is there any check I can do or procedure I can perform to ensure the choke is adjusted correctly?

Wait! It happened again,

I suspect that I'm just a bit close to the edge of properly adjusted. Is there any check I can do or procedure I can perform to ensure the choke is adjusted correctly?

Could you describe "it" a bit more? :nabble_anim_confused:

In other words, tell us what it did and didn't do when you did this and that. I suspect you have just a bit too much or too little choke, but we need to see some detail to guess which way.

Could you describe "it" a bit more? :nabble_anim_confused:

In other words, tell us what it did and didn't do when you did this and that. I suspect you have just a bit too much or too little choke, but we need to see some detail to guess which way.

Hey there Gary, and Bullnose crew,

... yeah that a Good Plan, here's a bit more detail,

Hopped in the truck yesterday mid day (it had sat all night) it was already about 85-90°F

Pushed the Pedal as usual

Turned the key it fired, Idled rough, then died.

I returned to cranking over the motor with no response,

Took off the air cleaner, and gave it at shot of staring fluid (since that saved me last time)

returned to cranking, still nothing.

Tried some more starting fluid, cranked it over, same outcome, nothing. (repeated 2 more times)

I returned the Air cleaner, and tried it one last time, She fired up, a bit rough but then got to idling as normal.

I assume that this is "too lean" condition but I figured I should bounce that idea off some experts first. I had rebuilt the carb last year and had made some Choke adjustments which until now have not failed me.

I assume I need to adjust something but figured I ask be fore I started turning screws ;-)

Hey there Gary, and Bullnose crew,

... yeah that a Good Plan, here's a bit more detail,

Hopped in the truck yesterday mid day (it had sat all night) it was already about 85-90°F

Pushed the Pedal as usual

Turned the key it fired, Idled rough, then died.

I returned to cranking over the motor with no response,

Took off the air cleaner, and gave it at shot of staring fluid (since that saved me last time)

returned to cranking, still nothing.

Tried some more starting fluid, cranked it over, same outcome, nothing. (repeated 2 more times)

I returned the Air cleaner, and tried it one last time, She fired up, a bit rough but then got to idling as normal.

I assume that this is "too lean" condition but I figured I should bounce that idea off some experts first. I had rebuilt the carb last year and had made some Choke adjustments which until now have not failed me.

I assume I need to adjust something but figured I ask be fore I started turning screws ;-)

I think it is a bit too rich. The fact that it started, idled rough, and then died and wouldn't easily start with ether says rich to me.

Most chokes have the ability to floor the throttle and open the choke up to get past a too-rich situation. You might pull the air cleaner and open the throttle fully (with the engine off but coldish) and see if it opens the choke. If so, then that's a way past that problem.

But the correct way is to loosen the three screws and back the choke off maybe 1 notch.

I think it is a bit too rich. The fact that it started, idled rough, and then died and wouldn't easily start with ether says rich to me.

Most chokes have the ability to floor the throttle and open the choke up to get past a too-rich situation. You might pull the air cleaner and open the throttle fully (with the engine off but coldish) and see if it opens the choke. If so, then that's a way past that problem.

But the correct way is to loosen the three screws and back the choke off maybe 1 notch.

Yeah I have to agree with Gary, your description of this latest episode sounds like it is rich, to the point of flooding. If it happens again where you can't start it, press the gas pedal all the way to the floor and hold it there (no pumping, just mat the gas pedal). Then crank without letting off the gas. If it then starts, that's flooding for sure. The reason holding the gas pedal to the floor works in that situation is, you have way too much fuel in there so the mixture is very rich. Opening the throttle all the way lets lots of air in there too, thereby leaning out the mixture.

Yeah I have to agree with Gary, your description of this latest episode sounds like it is rich, to the point of flooding. If it happens again where you can't start it, press the gas pedal all the way to the floor and hold it there (no pumping, just mat the gas pedal). Then crank without letting off the gas. If it then starts, that's flooding for sure. The reason holding the gas pedal to the floor works in that situation is, you have way too much fuel in there so the mixture is very rich. Opening the throttle all the way lets lots of air in there too, thereby leaning out the mixture.

Thanks Gary and Pete for your diag'

I wish it wasn't raining today, or I'd be trying it right away once I got home. Better luck tomorrow. I'll post and update this week, after I dig into it.

Thanks Gary and Pete for your diag'

I wish it wasn't raining today, or I'd be trying it right away once I got home. Better luck tomorrow. I'll post and update this week, after I dig into it.

Update:

Today started (figuratively only)just like the other "didn't start" but really, not a puff, nothing. Cranked it, w choke on, with foot to the floor, with starting fluid... nothing. So i checked for some spark, the old fashioned way screwdriver in the plug boot held near some metal crank it look for something, and I saw nothing. I grabbed the timing light, clamped it around no1 Cyl. figured I'd see a flash, still nothing. Absolutely not lying when I tell you that, I just ordered an ignition module for the truck today, because the wiring is pretty worked over and I wanted to freshen it up a bit. So now, to ensure I'm doing the right checks, I haven't looked at the "Documents" yet but once I post this that's where I'll be.

I'm open to any checks I should do before I start changing things around, So that I don't end with the same problem, because it's actually rooted somewhere else in the engine.

I'm all ears,