Bullnose Forum

Transmission Fluid Leak?

I'm just trying to understand what is leaking so I can figure out how to fix it and, in the mean time, also learn how to check/fill the oil/fluid until I can fix the leak. There's a visible drip on the ground after driving.

And you're sure it's smelly 90 weight gear oil, not engine oil?

There is a fill plug on the T-19.

If you're going to drain it you may as well remove one of the side plates so you can clean off the magnet in the bottom.

I can try to find an exploded diagram for you.

It's been a!most a decade since I swapped my T-19 for the Zf-5...

If you're going to drain it you may as well remove one of the side plates so you can clean off the magnet in the bottom.

No, im really not sure of anything lol. All I know for sure is that something under there is leaking where there appears to be a seal. It doesn't feel as oily as engine oil to me, nor does it smell much at all.

It had a massive oil cooler leak when I got it, and looked like it had for a long time based on how much oil had gotten blown all over everything under there (I replaced the oil cooler). I sprayed everything down with degreaser and sprayed it off with the water hose, but this drip still seems fresh and active, not just old oil heating up and dripping off.

No, im really not sure of anything lol. All I know for sure is that something under there is leaking where there appears to be a seal. It doesn't feel as oily as engine oil to me, nor does it smell much at all.

It had a massive oil cooler leak when I got it, and looked like it had for a long time based on how much oil had gotten blown all over everything under there (I replaced the oil cooler). I sprayed everything down with degreaser and sprayed it off with the water hose, but this drip still seems fresh and active, not just old oil heating up and dripping off.

Ok, after digging through the docs and following some bread crumbs, I believe the leak is actually on the clutch housing, not the transmission. The 2nd and 3rd pics above show the best view of it, while the first pic is zoomed in on the seal that appears to be leaking.

However, after reading up on the clutch and its housing, there doesn't appear to be any fluid, just greased parts when it is installed. I guess I need to take a closer look and see if that is just the drip point for a leak that is originating somewhere else. Any thoughts?

Ok, after digging through the docs and following some bread crumbs, I believe the leak is actually on the clutch housing, not the transmission. The 2nd and 3rd pics above show the best view of it, while the first pic is zoomed in on the seal that appears to be leaking.

However, after reading up on the clutch and its housing, there doesn't appear to be any fluid, just greased parts when it is installed. I guess I need to take a closer look and see if that is just the drip point for a leak that is originating somewhere else. Any thoughts?

On a 460 the oil pressure sender is above the bell housing at the back of the engine block, tucked into the rear curve of the intake manifold.

You might try an inspection mirror to look back there where it threads into the block.

That's the only other thing I can think would leak back there.

Or just some weeping from the oil pan being blown back to the spacer plate.

On a 460 the oil pressure sender is above the bell housing at the back of the engine block, tucked into the rear curve of the intake manifold.

You might try an inspection mirror to look back there where it threads into the block.

That's the only other thing I can think would leak back there.

Or just some weeping from the oil pan being blown back to the spacer plate.

Got it. I'm going to give it another de-greaser session with some elbow grease this time so that I can get as clean a look as possible.

Like I mentioned, it looked like the oil cooler had been leaking and blowing oil all over everything for years. So bad that there's an outside chance that the "leak" is old oil working its way out the more I drive it. Not that I expect to have that good fortune, but there's always a chance, right? ;) Thanks, again.

• 4 weeks later...

@ArdWrknTrk so i took your advice and removed a side plate. Any idea what the torque specs are on those bolts?

@ArdWrknTrk so i took your advice and removed a side plate. Any idea what the torque specs are on those bolts?

I'm not Jim, but you should be able to find the torque spec's in the T-19 section of the factory shop manual here: Documentation/Driveline/Transmissions/Manual Transmissions/WARNER T-18 & T-19 TRANSMISSIONS. It is usually shown on the last page of each section.

I'm not Jim, but you should be able to find the torque spec's in the T-19 section of the factory shop manual here: Documentation/Driveline/Transmissions/Manual Transmissions/WARNER T-18 & T-19 TRANSMISSIONS. It is usually shown on the last page of each section.

Ah, now I see it. Thanks for bearing with me. The T-19 diagrams there don't specifically label it, but based on Jim calling it a "PTO cover" above I assume it's the torque specs for the Power Take Off Cover.

I already tightened it snugly, but once I check it with a torque wrench if I over tightened it should I loosen it and re-torque it now or wait for the gasket maker to cure first?

Ah, now I see it. Thanks for bearing with me. The T-19 diagrams there don't specifically label it, but based on Jim calling it a "PTO cover" above I assume it's the torque specs for the Power Take Off Cover.

I already tightened it snugly, but once I check it with a torque wrench if I over tightened it should I loosen it and re-torque it now or wait for the gasket maker to cure first?

I'd leave it alone. It isn't under stress so won't strip out or come loose. And if you loosen it the gasket maker might not seal.