Bullnose Forums

This is depressing. Not entirely surprising, but still depressing

Found my spare DS2 box (in a plastic Truck Box behind the seat, contains spares & tools & such) so I'll go back to the truck tomorrow, I guess.

The other component is that distributor PIP thing. But the DS2 is easiest to swap out.

Matthewq4b & Ken Blythen on FTE are saying basically the same thing, go after the ignition.

Tomorrow; the rest of tonight is SHO air conditioning compressor. :)

I've never had a failing module just continue to run like that, but I certainly haven't seen everything.

It would be wonderful if it was just that simple. :nabble_smiley_good:

I have had a bad coil refuse to rev.

Did those two plugs look covered in oil?

Still no explanation why #5 terminal is covered in corrosion or arcing?

I've never had a failing module just continue to run like that, but I certainly haven't seen everything.

It would be wonderful if it was just that simple. :nabble_smiley_good:

I have had a bad coil refuse to rev.

Did those two plugs look covered in oil?

Still no explanation why #5 terminal is covered in corrosion or arcing?

Yeah, I have no explanation for that #5 cylinder arcing...

All the plugs look identical, too, I guess that's good.

~~

Man, the Taurus SHO engine is DEFINITELY of Japanese design & manufacture, I can tell just by the tolerances in all these parts! I'm used to stuff being fairly loosey-goosey, but this thing is precision all the way, even with alternator mounting... different beast altogether.

Yeah, I have no explanation for that #5 cylinder arcing...

All the plugs look identical, too, I guess that's good.

~~

Man, the Taurus SHO engine is DEFINITELY of Japanese design & manufacture, I can tell just by the tolerances in all these parts! I'm used to stuff being fairly loosey-goosey, but this thing is precision all the way, even with alternator mounting... different beast altogether.

Well it means the two low pressure cylinders aren't passing a bunch of oil by the rings.

So, that is good news. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Those Yamaha engines ushered in a new era of manufacturing tolerances for an American manufacturer.

But it was also the beginning of the end for service access in an engine bay! :nabble_smiley_hurt:

Well it means the two low pressure cylinders aren't passing a bunch of oil by the rings.

So, that is good news. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Those Yamaha engines ushered in a new era of manufacturing tolerances for an American manufacturer.

But it was also the beginning of the end for service access in an engine bay! :nabble_smiley_hurt:

Jim, I actually think his is more accessible than my 3.8L was. It has to come out from below due to the 3.8L being a 90° block and the radiator has to come out first.

Jim, I actually think his is more accessible than my 3.8L was. It has to come out from below due to the 3.8L being a 90° block and the radiator has to come out first.

OK, this is interesting, I don't understand, please explain...

Testing out the ignition, measuring out the coil... or trying to....

I get 1.4Ω across the 2 brass terminals, that's within spec.

Testing across either to the high-tension tower nets me ZERO ohms, how is that?

Across the brass:

original-coil.thumb.png.76a9001cd740a587b42d44333a07e75e.png

I don't understand how the thing can still be working?

I'm gonna go searcharound for a spare coil, I MAY have one... but I don't think I've ever seen a failed coil in my life...

OK, this is interesting, I don't understand, please explain...

Testing out the ignition, measuring out the coil... or trying to....

I get 1.4Ω across the 2 brass terminals, that's within spec.

Testing across either to the high-tension tower nets me ZERO ohms, how is that?

Across the brass:

I don't understand how the thing can still be working?

I'm gonna go searcharound for a spare coil, I MAY have one... but I don't think I've ever seen a failed coil in my life...

Yipes! You apparently have a spark inside the coil from the secondary to ground, which should be the case. So part of your energy is being consumed in the coil itself and only some left over for the plugs. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Yipes! You apparently have a spark inside the coil from the secondary to ground, which should be the case. So part of your energy is being consumed in the coil itself and only some left over for the plugs. :nabble_smiley_oh:

I should have said that I've seen several failed coils. But all of those had a failure in the primary, not the secondary. That's a new one for me.

I should have said that I've seen several failed coils. But all of those had a failure in the primary, not the secondary. That's a new one for me.

I'm seeing myself back at the auto parts today; O'Reilly's, used to be Checker Auto. They *used to have* the capability of testing the DS2 boxes, but the kid who just answered the phone when I asked said "not anymore."

Well, doing those kinds of tests would have been for verification only, they both still worked last time I checked (although *something* has been acting up recently....

Gonna go search my basement for a coil, I *might* have one.....

I'm seeing myself back at the auto parts today; O'Reilly's, used to be Checker Auto. They *used to have* the capability of testing the DS2 boxes, but the kid who just answered the phone when I asked said "not anymore."

Well, doing those kinds of tests would have been for verification only, they both still worked last time I checked (although *something* has been acting up recently....

Good luck, but a new coil can't be that expensive and would be one more thing that you are pretty sure isn't bad.

Changed the scale on my meter (20K scale) it now reads 9.2 between center output and either brass terminal.

This is between 7,500 & 11,000 and is OK, then, correct?

Sorry for the errant readings, but something was telling me I'm not doing that test properly.....