Bullnose Forums

AC On The Cheap

Need to pull a vacuum on my AC system and wondering if one of those cheap HF air vacuum pumps would do the job. Saw a couple of YouTube vids on them and they seem to be alright. Anyone have experience with these? Link below........

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-vacuum-pump-with-r134a-and-r12-connectors-96677.html?_br_psugg_q=vacuum+pump

Also, replacing the receiver dryer/accumulator along with the orifice tube. Old orifice tube is stubborn. Am I correct in that these should just pull straight out?

I have one of those. They work fine. I had a 5 HP gas compressor and I felt I was abusing it pulling a vacuum for an hour, and actually cut it to 45 minutes.

I got one of these from HF and I am happy with it. Pulls a vacuum just fine for me.

https://www.harborfreight.com/merchandising-promotions/hot-buys/25-cfm-vacuum-pump-61245.html

Thanks Dane! I know what you mean on abusing the compressor. That is one of my concerns and one of the big reasons I keep going back and forth on it.

I have looked at both the unit you bought and their 2 Stage unit. In fact, printed out a 20% off coupon yesterday, which was the last day it could be used, and was about to head to HF until I realized they were closed.....argh. Found the cheap unit last night and just wanted the input.

I have one of those. They work fine. I had a 5 HP gas compressor and I felt I was abusing it pulling a vacuum for an hour, and actually cut it to 45 minutes.

I got one of these from HF and I am happy with it. Pulls a vacuum just fine for me.

https://www.harborfreight.com/merchandising-promotions/hot-buys/25-cfm-vacuum-pump-61245.html

Thanks Dane! I know what you mean on abusing the compressor. That is one of my concerns and one of the big reasons I keep going back and forth on it.

I have looked at both the unit you bought and their 2 Stage unit. In fact, printed out a 20% off coupon yesterday, which was the last day it could be used, and was about to head to HF until I realized they were closed.....argh. Found the cheap unit last night and just wanted the input.

I have the same unit. Works plenty well.

I 'borrowed' one from autozone and didn't feel bad leaving it pulling a vacuum for well over an hour.

OT

Trying to help a friend on an AC system that was working and now is not.

When it was checked the AC charge pressure is low (I do not know what that PSI was) and was told that the system could not be charged because the compressor was bad.

Now how could they tell the compressor was bad with out adding a little to make it work?

If the PSI is to low to kick on the compressor and just for testing, jumped the switch would it show a change between the high & low side on the gauge set?

If it did not show a change between the sides could this be because the charge PSI is that low?

Thanks for any insight

Dave ----

OT

Trying to help a friend on an AC system that was working and now is not.

When it was checked the AC charge pressure is low (I do not know what that PSI was) and was told that the system could not be charged because the compressor was bad.

Now how could they tell the compressor was bad with out adding a little to make it work?

If the PSI is to low to kick on the compressor and just for testing, jumped the switch would it show a change between the high & low side on the gauge set?

If it did not show a change between the sides could this be because the charge PSI is that low?

Thanks for any insight

Dave ----

Dave - You can jump the low pressure switch to force the compressor to run, and you should see the effect on a set of gauges if the compressor is working. Is that what you mean?

Dave - You can jump the low pressure switch to force the compressor to run, and you should see the effect on a set of gauges if the compressor is working. Is that what you mean?

Yes kind of, I know you can jump the switch to get the compressor to run but if the system pressure was to low, say 2 or 3 psi, I dont know what psi his system has at this time, could it make the compressor look bad when you jump the switch?

Just trying to figure out why the shop said the compressor is bad and needs to be replaced?

I will be taking my gauge set and vacuum to him on Saturday and may have a little more information then.

Thanks

Dave ----