Bullnose Forums

Weird type of swap question

Hi guys,

I was talking to a nice guy from Georgia last night who was interested in buying some parts from me for a swap he was trying to do into his 85 Bronco. He wants to swap in a 70-something 302 with a carb and swap out the current AOD for a manual tranny. I can't blame the guy for wanting to use an old engine, but I know that can create some complexities with the engine accessories and pulley system.

He wants to know if the V-belt system and mounts from a carbed 351W will bolt straight up to his old 302 (PS, A/C compressor, alternator) and if he can use the 351W flywheel and engine plate. Anybody know if those are interchangeable with the earlier 302 blocks and heads?

Thanks!

I would doubt it. On my 351w, some parts of the accessory drives bolt to the block (water pump area for example) and some parts bolt to the heads (alternator and AC come to mind).

Since the 351W is a "raised deck" version of the 302W, those bolt holes in the head would be off by the amount of the higher deck.

If he goes this route, he would have to find 302-specific accessory drives, I think.

I would doubt it. On my 351w, some parts of the accessory drives bolt to the block (water pump area for example) and some parts bolt to the heads (alternator and AC come to mind).

Since the 351W is a "raised deck" version of the 302W, those bolt holes in the head would be off by the amount of the higher deck.

If he goes this route, he would have to find 302-specific accessory drives, I think.

Back in the 70s Ford built a number of "universal" accessory brackets for the Windsor blocks (302/351W) those that go on the heads were reversible to allow for the difference in block height. They went short end up (toward the valve cover) on a 302 and short end down for a 351W. This allowed for most installations to use the same belts and pulleys.

Remember that up through '79 pickups used front sump oil pans with a dipstick in the timing cover, and those won't fit with the '80-'86 (and later!) frame crossmember.

I suppose his '85 351 pan and pickup will work if it has provision for the dip stick.

If the '85 has the stick in the block that will complicate things.

The 28.2 weight was used up until 1981, so he is going to need the lighter flywheel and harmonic damper to make it run smooth.

These parts aren't hard to find, but they're not free either.