Bullnose Forums

Silence The SuperDuty Springs!

Do you know what code of springs you have? Must be heavier than mine.

As for the noise, if yours aren't as far apart as mine you shouldn't have as much noise. I'm guessing mine have 3/8" of gap, and when you hit a bump and the spring travels that far and hits it is loud. While I realize it is a truck, if there is something simple that can be done to minimize the noise I want to do it.

Ok, I spoke with Mike of Eaton Detroit Spring. I'm sure he's the same guy I spoke with years ago when I bought the spring liner that was initially for Dad's truck, but the leftovers of which are now on those SD springs on Big Blue.

I explained what I have and the noises it makes, which Mike quickly understood, and he agreed that clamps would be the best way to quieten the springs. They have them in stock, so a pair of springs and rubber pads are on their way.

But, when I asked about tack welding the arms of the clamps he said "Bad, bad, bad! Your splatter will get on the spring, causing a stress riser, and the springs will break at that point some time in the future. Bending the arms will be enough." :nabble_smiley_scared:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I spoke with Mike of Eaton Detroit Spring. I'm sure he's the same guy I spoke with years ago when I bought the spring liner that was initially for Dad's truck, but the leftovers of which are now on those SD springs on Big Blue.

I explained what I have and the noises it makes, which Mike quickly understood, and he agreed that clamps would be the best way to quieten the springs. They have them in stock, so a pair of springs and rubber pads are on their way.

But, when I asked about tack welding the arms of the clamps he said "Bad, bad, bad! Your splatter will get on the spring, causing a stress riser, and the springs will break at that point some time in the future. Bending the arms will be enough." :nabble_smiley_scared:

There are plenty of welding methods that would have no spatter and would have a small and quick enough heat affected zone that it couldn't possibly effect the temper.

But I understand completely why Mike is concerned about disrupting the shot peened surface of the leaf.

And also why you don't want to restrain the leaf pack at one point when the whole stack is supposed to move.

That's why they incorporate the liner material in the first place.

Good luck with your quest for quieter springs.

I still think coils would better solve your complaint.

I would agree, and that should improve the turning radius also…. But talk about a lot of fabrication! 😓

Justin Wheeler used to frequent the FTE diesel board until he leaned toward a Cummins engine, and has done probably the nicest coil conversion I have seen. The watermarked photobucket thumbnails are all that is left, but you can still see his handiwork here:

https://www.cumminsforum.com/threads/1992-f350-cc-drw.610907/

I would agree, and that should improve the turning radius also…. But talk about a lot of fabrication! 😓

Justin Wheeler used to frequent the FTE diesel board until he leaned toward a Cummins engine, and has done probably the nicest coil conversion I have seen. The watermarked photobucket thumbnails are all that is left, but you can still see his handiwork here:

https://www.cumminsforum.com/threads/1992-f350-cc-drw.610907/

Aren't some of the later Superduty models live front axle with coils? If it weren't an opposite drop transfer, Dodge used coils up front. I had long thought if I were insane enough to want to convert Darth to 4WD I would want to retain the coil springs. I considered researching how hard it would be to use the F350 twin Traction Beams with coils and adapt my existing radius arms.

One thing that keeps me from thinking about it much, Darth, even at 168" wheelbase will turn inside of just about any 4WD pickup. The inside front wheel goes almost 90° to the frame, the trade off is just about everything in the steering other than the box is unique to the crew cab.

Aren't some of the later Superduty models live front axle with coils? If it weren't an opposite drop transfer, Dodge used coils up front. I had long thought if I were insane enough to want to convert Darth to 4WD I would want to retain the coil springs. I considered researching how hard it would be to use the F350 twin Traction Beams with coils and adapt my existing radius arms.

One thing that keeps me from thinking about it much, Darth, even at 168" wheelbase will turn inside of just about any 4WD pickup. The inside front wheel goes almost 90° to the frame, the trade off is just about everything in the steering other than the box is unique to the crew cab.

Everything I've read says Ford went to coil springs on the 4wd heavier trucks in 2005. Which is why my SD springs have to be 2004 or earlier.

But I'm happy with what I have, so there's no chance I'm going to consider changing to coils. The ride could be better, but what I have is so much better then the leaf-sprung TTB's that it isn't funny.

Still, I would like them to be quieter, and I think the clamps will do that and still let the suspension work properly.

But I'm happy with what I have, so there's no chance I'm going to consider changing to coils. The ride could be better, but what I have is so much better then the leaf-sprung TTB's that it isn't funny.

^^^This 100%^^^

I don’t know what the ride is like on SD coil springs vs SD leaf springs but I suspect the primary gratification is the accomplishment itself by those who have the time and skill to fabricate a front coil system (or perform a body chassis swap to get it). I admire the handiwork but it sure isn’t for me!

^^^This 100%^^^

I don’t know what the ride is like on SD coil springs vs SD leaf springs but I suspect the primary gratification is the accomplishment itself by those who have the time and skill to fabricate a front coil system (or perform a body chassis swap to get it). I admire the handiwork but it sure isn’t for me!

Thanks, Jonathan. Janey and I both still marvel at how much better the truck rides with the changes that have been made. So while there might be further improvements to be made with a different spring setup, we are happy with what we have.

Oops, the rest of this was to go in Big Blue's Transformation thread. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Thanks, Jonathan. Janey and I both still marvel at how much better the truck rides with the changes that have been made. So while there might be further improvements to be made with a different spring setup, we are happy with what we have.

Oops, the rest of this was to go in Big Blue's Transformation thread. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Gary, how would you qualify the ride of Big Blue now with SD reverse shackle and monobeam compared to a stock F150 with coil spring TTB?

Gary, how would you qualify the ride of Big Blue now with SD reverse shackle and monobeam compared to a stock F150 with coil spring TTB?

Well, the F150 wins the ride and handling test hands-down. It is much more like a car and Big Blue certainly rides and handles like a truck.

It is hard to quantify what change the front suspension by itself made, but let me try. On a scale of 1 - 10, with 10 being awful:

• Dad's 4wd F150 with coil-sprung TTB's & sway bars = 2: You don't really notice bumps, and certainly don't fear them.

• Big Blue now = 4: You do notice bumps, but no longer fear them. However, this isn't all due to the front suspension as pulling out 2 of the 7 leaves in the rear, which made it essentially a stock F250, made a big difference.

• Big Blue w/a D60 & a 7-leaf spring pack & no sway bars = 6: The front suspension change made a really big difference, but there was still a "snap" or "kick" when you hit a bump that turned out to be the extremely heavy rear springs that were on the truck.

• Big Blue with TTB's, 7 leaves, & no sway bars = 8: Ken Blythen suggested I disconnect the sway bars and that made a big difference.

• Big Blue with sway bars = 10: When I got the truck, in addition to having TTB's & leaf springs up front and a way too heavy spring pack in the rear, it had the sway bars connected. With them connected you studied the road ahead and prepared for any little bump.