Bullnose Forums

Elyza Dual-little. 1985 F350 DRW

Gsmblue

As threatened earlier in the year, a project thread for the last musketeer in my fleet.

Elyza is a 1984 F350 crew cab, long bed, dually, all wheel drive, 4sp MT with granny, 460cu engine and a sticker on the door declaring it as a “Centurion”. The bed is a later 1987+ model. Has ~95k original miles,

All in all she is in decent shape, but needs some TLC.

Initial issues:

Clutch pedal sticks on way up

Shifter is “notchy”

Transfer case won’t go to 4L

Power steering fluid leak

Valve cover oil leak

Interior is trash

Tailgate latches sticking

Horn not working (grounding issue on steering column)

Drivers door handle falling off

Headliner hardly there

No carpet

Lots of aftermarket wiring.. I hate that

Speed control not working

Gas tanks puke when filling up

Instrument cluster needs new bulbs and needles painting

The follow parts have arrived or will be arriving next week:

Junkyard steering column - fancy tilt version

New door seals

New power steering hoses

New valve cover gaskets

Clutch linkage bushing (metal bit not worn so no need for heim joint fix yet)

Dash protector

Clock and clock wire harness

I know there is more, I will update later.

I took care of the following so far

Clutch linkage bushing

Drivers door handle fixed

Put a junkyard radio in

Painted wiper arms

New wiper blades

Sorted all the hard water marks on the glass

Polished the paint and ceramic coated, looks pretty.

Such a fun truck, the plan is to use it to haul horses around.

Before pic

A15E9D4B-7089-4F93-9C23-1FC1D135EC84.thumb.jpeg.2462ac417f4e607458c29b3a9a6894ba.jpeg

Current pic

6AF0FF16-F2E8-4414-A413-0C7F6AE73438.thumb.jpeg.9a51d825cfeefe9a186af9368fd33fc2.jpeg

Interior

2E8C36FB-FDD0-4FC5-82E3-A86CFCE3058F.thumb.jpeg.df6d42543706ac94e1bd8288ea952ff7.jpeg

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! That is really looking good! :nabble_anim_claps:

And I like the name. Reminds me of your native country. And it is fitting as the truck is demonstrating the Pygmalion effect - you have high expectations and it is living up to them. (Did it drop it's h'atches?)

Yes nice looking truck and a good base to start with, not all rotted and banged up!

As for the notchy shifting trans being a granny and 460 that would be a T19 right?

My 81 F100 came with a T18, needed a rebuild, so I replaced it with a NP435 both granny transmissions.

They were both notchy in shifting as they are a true truck transmission, no speed shifting with them!

What I did find helped a lot in the NP435 was to drain the fresh W75-80 gear oil and fill it with Red Line MT-90 gear oil. It took a little bit for it to work into everything and push out the normal gear oil but it shifts a lot easier and even more so once there is a little heat in the trans.

What I like of the slow shifting transmissions is it makes you take your time (no speed shifting) so you get to enjoy the drive.

Dave ----

Yes nice looking truck and a good base to start with, not all rotted and banged up!

As for the notchy shifting trans being a granny and 460 that would be a T19 right?

My 81 F100 came with a T18, needed a rebuild, so I replaced it with a NP435 both granny transmissions.

They were both notchy in shifting as they are a true truck transmission, no speed shifting with them!

What I did find helped a lot in the NP435 was to drain the fresh W75-80 gear oil and fill it with Red Line MT-90 gear oil. It took a little bit for it to work into everything and push out the normal gear oil but it shifts a lot easier and even more so once there is a little heat in the trans.

What I like of the slow shifting transmissions is it makes you take your time (no speed shifting) so you get to enjoy the drive.

Dave ----

Yes, a T19. Slow shifting is about right! Never in a rush when driving this truck around.

Thanks for the oil tip, might have to give that a go.

Yes, a T19. Slow shifting is about right! Never in a rush when driving this truck around.

It is also important that you use GL-4 gear oil in the trans.

When I filled it when I first installed the NP435 the bottle said GL-4 / GL-5 so I was not really happy running it as the GL-5 oil they say eats yellow metal (syncros / bushings) in transmissions so I was happy to swap it out. Took almost a full gallon of the RL MT-90 oil for the trans.

Yes the RL MT-90 oil is a GL-4 oil, no GL-5 listed on the bottle.

RL oil was what was sent with my Advance Adaptors over drive because of the syncros in it.

Dave ----

It is also important that you use GL-4 gear oil in the trans.

When I filled it when I first installed the NP435 the bottle said GL-4 / GL-5 so I was not really happy running it as the GL-5 oil they say eats yellow metal (syncros / bushings) in transmissions so I was happy to swap it out. Took almost a full gallon of the RL MT-90 oil for the trans.

Yes the RL MT-90 oil is a GL-4 oil, no GL-5 listed on the bottle.

RL oil was what was sent with my Advance Adaptors over drive because of the syncros in it.

Dave ----

Well. A few little items done today.

LED dash lights ordered - HiPo brilliant white, loved Gary’s write up on those

Driver side door seal replaced

Driver side door panel replaces

All window winders replaced

Dash needles painted

98FAFA2E-3C6F-4B31-8298-ED0444035891.thumb.jpeg.9f41d1436a312713fe382ab324cb5f9c.jpeg

BD6E8609-5A2F-40BD-A46F-6F1A38CD53A0.thumb.jpeg.9fd0acb2a2691c0d4fd1dd58388c3cff.jpeg

Truck washed

4F202C92-A5B5-40C7-95A5-FB1435BFA753.thumb.jpeg.3174aee27c002121474b6b4300701151.jpeg

Bumped into the original owner of the truck!!!!

93420C66-259B-40F3-80A4-8669B277AB3B.thumb.jpeg.b4ff1ce56fcb2ec1bcc13f237eb83abe.jpeg

He said it was an Ag truck for a local high school. He changed the bed and tailgate out, the original bed had a gooseneck in it. He also is the guy that painted it!!

He was so happy to see it still running and being brought back to life.

Small world.

Well. A few little items done today.

LED dash lights ordered - HiPo brilliant white, loved Gary’s write up on those

Driver side door seal replaced

Driver side door panel replaces

All window winders replaced

Dash needles painted

Truck washed

Bumped into the original owner of the truck!!!!

He said it was an Ag truck for a local high school. He changed the bed and tailgate out, the original bed had a gooseneck in it. He also is the guy that painted it!!

He was so happy to see it still running and being brought back to life.

Small world.

You are motivating! :nabble_anim_claps:

And it is a small world. Meeting the previous owner is cool and may pay dividends when you need to know what was done. :nabble_smiley_good:

You are motivating! :nabble_anim_claps:

And it is a small world. Meeting the previous owner is cool and may pay dividends when you need to know what was done. :nabble_smiley_good:

I didn’t get his number!! I hope i bump into him again..

Couple more bits done today.

New radio antenna

Unclogged the washer jets. They were GROSS!

Installed F350 badge on passenger fender

Replace a couple bulbs in the dash for the blinkers

Replaced license plate light

Drove her about 70 miles today. Didn’t miss a beat…

Can’t wait to get under the hood and stop some of those leaks…power steering and valve cover gaskets.

I didn’t get his number!! I hope i bump into him again..

Couple more bits done today.

New radio antenna

Unclogged the washer jets. They were GROSS!

Installed F350 badge on passenger fender

Replace a couple bulbs in the dash for the blinkers

Replaced license plate light

Drove her about 70 miles today. Didn’t miss a beat…

Can’t wait to get under the hood and stop some of those leaks…power steering and valve cover gaskets.

Well, you know where he teaches, right? :nabble_smiley_wink:

Anyway, you are making progress. Just keep ticking those things off the list. :nabble_smiley_good:

Well, you know where he teaches, right? :nabble_smiley_wink:

Anyway, you are making progress. Just keep ticking those things off the list. :nabble_smiley_good:

The junkyard tilt steering column arrived a few mins ago. I immediately grabbed the multimeter and tested for continuity between the steering shaft and mounting bracket.

Good news, there is continuity! Plan is to install it tomorrow night. :nabble_anim_jump: