Bullnose Forums

1986 F150 RWD Automatic 5.0 EFI. - Injector Problems

Got it all back together and running again! Seems to be idling pretty high, but when I shift into a gear it drops in rpm to what seems more normal. Maybe a vacuum issue, not sure yet. Slow progress!

Excellent! You are making progress, and as Jim says, progress is good! :nabble_anim_claps:

Got it all back together and running again! Seems to be idling pretty high, but when I shift into a gear it drops in rpm to what seems more normal. Maybe a vacuum issue, not sure yet. Slow progress!

Good to hear it is running again :nabble_smiley_good:

What was the fix or we have not got that far because of the mangled fuel rail?

I did see something about pin 17 & 48 but nothing about swapping them around, was that the cause?

Dave ----

Good to hear it is running again :nabble_smiley_good:

What was the fix or we have not got that far because of the mangled fuel rail?

I did see something about pin 17 & 48 but nothing about swapping them around, was that the cause?

Dave ----

Well the mangled rail was causing all kinds of problems. There was a wire spliced into one of the injector banks which was grounding out the system and making it spray fuel all the tie into the motor. After I fixed that I had an issue with the pressure regulator, after changing that I was unable to get the mangled fuel rail to seat without leaking, so that put me on hold. Finally got a new rail and put it all together and it runs! Figured out the high idle…some dummy (me) forgot to plug the pcv hose back in. That made a huge difference. So now I’m down to trying to figure out a couple last wires. One is a orange wire from pin 49 on the computer, I don’t understand how it hooks into the o2 sensor. Pin 29 goes to it and it’s plugged in and seems to be a single blade connector so not sure how that works. The other wire I’m trying to decipher goes to a plug that ends behind the battery. Right now I have it rolled up, not sure where this should pop into the harness. F7AAAB52-CBC9-4863-85F8-CEB2B7E60545.jpeg.c626d8aa6510d32015364e4348583c78.jpeg

Well the mangled rail was causing all kinds of problems. There was a wire spliced into one of the injector banks which was grounding out the system and making it spray fuel all the tie into the motor. After I fixed that I had an issue with the pressure regulator, after changing that I was unable to get the mangled fuel rail to seat without leaking, so that put me on hold. Finally got a new rail and put it all together and it runs! Figured out the high idle…some dummy (me) forgot to plug the pcv hose back in. That made a huge difference. So now I’m down to trying to figure out a couple last wires. One is a orange wire from pin 49 on the computer, I don’t understand how it hooks into the o2 sensor. Pin 29 goes to it and it’s plugged in and seems to be a single blade connector so not sure how that works. The other wire I’m trying to decipher goes to a plug that ends behind the battery. Right now I have it rolled up, not sure where this should pop into the harness.

Orange wire is the O2 sensor ground. It should have a pretty good sized lug on the end of it and I believe went on the rear right (passenger side) intake manifold bolt (will have a stud on the top for it).

Well the mangled rail was causing all kinds of problems. There was a wire spliced into one of the injector banks which was grounding out the system and making it spray fuel all the tie into the motor. After I fixed that I had an issue with the pressure regulator, after changing that I was unable to get the mangled fuel rail to seat without leaking, so that put me on hold. Finally got a new rail and put it all together and it runs! Figured out the high idle…some dummy (me) forgot to plug the pcv hose back in. That made a huge difference. So now I’m down to trying to figure out a couple last wires. One is a orange wire from pin 49 on the computer, I don’t understand how it hooks into the o2 sensor. Pin 29 goes to it and it’s plugged in and seems to be a single blade connector so not sure how that works. The other wire I’m trying to decipher goes to a plug that ends behind the battery. Right now I have it rolled up, not sure where this should pop into the harness.

You are making really good progress! I'm impressed!

Is that wire you are holding all green? I can't tell, but I might be able to find it in the EVTM if I knew its color(s) and what other wires are in that connector.

Orange wire is the O2 sensor ground. It should have a pretty good sized lug on the end of it and I believe went on the rear right (passenger side) intake manifold bolt (will have a stud on the top for it).

0EB5CC55-155C-4353-8083-9A26472BE55F.jpeg.6f5d8ca05302a971d2a5ca26d3880a7b.jpeg

This is what confuses me. The wire from pin 29 exists and it has the connector to the O2 sensor which is a single wire sensor and wire. I don’t get how the orange one hooks in

This is what confuses me. The wire from pin 29 exists and it has the connector to the O2 sensor which is a single wire sensor and wire. I don’t get how the orange one hooks in

I think your truck is more like the '85 EFI, shown on the left, than the '86 EFI which is on the right. If you only have the one wire (DG/P) and no orange wire then that seems to prove it. But, does your harness have the orange wire going to pin 49?

And, do you have the calibration code for your engine? Label on the valve cover? Or, what's the # on the computer? If we have some of that info I may be able to figure out what you have.

1985-etm-page60.thumb.jpg.7d9bcf7c59c30aba296283a4ed00333f.jpg7468130_orig.thumb.jpg.50e21a659c2d725fa4a4b068346d00ba.jpg

I think your truck is more like the '85 EFI, shown on the left, than the '86 EFI which is on the right. If you only have the one wire (DG/P) and no orange wire then that seems to prove it. But, does your harness have the orange wire going to pin 49?

And, do you have the calibration code for your engine? Label on the valve cover? Or, what's the # on the computer? If we have some of that info I may be able to figure out what you have.

The Orange wire is just hanging there right now near the firewall. It’s currently capped. I’ll have to look around for the code when I get home.

The Orange wire is just hanging there right now near the firewall. It’s currently capped. I’ll have to look around for the code when I get home.

Check to see if the orange wire does go to the computer on 49. And look for #'s on the valve cover and the computer.

I think your truck is a combination of parts - that don't completely mesh.

Check to see if the orange wire does go to the computer on 49. And look for #'s on the valve cover and the computer.

I think your truck is a combination of parts - that don't completely mesh.

6F78FEAE-1DFF-4EE4-9430-7777332D5308.jpeg.e44ab364168f95775762aa81d7a72f76.jpeg8EE9E973-16E5-4950-B6E5-7772F8D34A96.jpeg.bb7af4e363b1567042b4cbc49766bc0b.jpeg

Sorry about the delay, wife’s starter went out today so I was baking in the sun in the gravel fighting that. I have attached a picture of that plug with the wire I don’t know where it goes.

The orange wire does in fact go to pin 49 on the ecc.

The stickers on the valve covers are gone so all I have is the computer. The one pictured is the old one, I have a new one in it but it was supposed to be a direct replacement.