Bullnose Forums

4.9L Timing Cover Bolt Torque Spec?

Both the '81 and '85 factory shop manual sections have it: Documentation/Engines/300 Six. Shown as Cylinder Front Cover and it is 12 - 18 ft-lbs.

On an unrelated follow up, I'm replacing the oil pan gasket on the 4.9 and having a whale of a time getting the rear rubber gasket to fit (It's a felpro 4-piece). It seems too large. When I fit one of the rubber tabs into the notch next to the bearing/seal and work it around to the other side, I have a half inch or so left over. Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? I know a lot of people prefer one-piece gaskets, but A) It must work somehow B) I want to get this done today rather than waiting for another part and C) When I search Oreilly, Autozone, or Rock Auto, they only have 4-piece gaskets for this model. Thanks in advance.

On an unrelated follow up, I'm replacing the oil pan gasket on the 4.9 and having a whale of a time getting the rear rubber gasket to fit (It's a felpro 4-piece). It seems too large. When I fit one of the rubber tabs into the notch next to the bearing/seal and work it around to the other side, I have a half inch or so left over. Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? I know a lot of people prefer one-piece gaskets, but A) It must work somehow B) I want to get this done today rather than waiting for another part and C) When I search Oreilly, Autozone, or Rock Auto, they only have 4-piece gaskets for this model. Thanks in advance.

I'm sorry, I've not done that on a 300 so can't tell you what you are doing wrong. But I'm going to tag Fuzzface2 as I think he may be able to help you.

I'm sorry, I've not done that on a 300 so can't tell you what you are doing wrong. But I'm going to tag Fuzzface2 as I think he may be able to help you.

I am here.

Note when I did my gasket(s) I did it years ago so its a little foggy.

First are you sure that gasket set is for your motor and was the box open when you got it?

Does the other rubber part fit the front?

Could you have them switched around?

My motor was out of the truck and mounted on a stand and dont remember any issues installing it.

I get things like that at a local parts store.

Sorry I dont have any other information to pass on but it sounds like its the wrong gasket kit.

Dave ----

ps I also used the 4 part gasket as I did not know of the other type.

I am here.

First are you sure that gasket set is for your motor and was the box open when you got it?

My motor was out of the truck and mounted on a stand and dont remember any issues installing it.

Sorry I dont have any other information to pass on but it sounds like its the wrong gasket kit.

Dave ----

Thanks, Dave. :nabble_smiley_good:

I am here.

Dave ----

Thanks for the quick reply. I am sure that it's on the correct side. I also double checked the model number on Fel-pro's website with the one on the package. As a side note, I had bought just the oil pan gasket a while back and later went ahead and a bought a full engine rebuild kit that had all the engine gaskets, including the same model oil pan gasket I already had. So, I actually tried two different units of that model, both from sealed packages. I'm stumped. I think I'll throw this out again as its own thread.

Thanks for the quick reply. I am sure that it's on the correct side. I also double checked the model number on Fel-pro's website with the one on the package. As a side note, I had bought just the oil pan gasket a while back and later went ahead and a bought a full engine rebuild kit that had all the engine gaskets, including the same model oil pan gasket I already had. So, I actually tried two different units of that model, both from sealed packages. I'm stumped. I think I'll throw this out again as its own thread.

That's probably a good idea. A new thread with the right topic will get more attention.

Try putting the seal in your freezer for a hour or so. The cold should shrink it down enough to see if it's the correct seal. I used to have to do this with the rear window seal, when I would swap them out from a fixed panel to a sliding window. I got so good at installing them. That everyone in the neighborhood wanted me to install sliding rear windows in their trucks. Like my boss always says, be careful of what your good at. Lol.....