Bullnose Forums

Poncho Loco build thread, yes here it is ...

I just pulled a carb out of a hat, as an example.

As the listing says ' make sure you compare this item to what you have, and all features are correct for your application'

I can't say what you need.

I can't say what you've got.

And, I can't say what that truck came with from the factory.

Like I said to Jonathan, be sure to open it up and flush out any oil that they may have flooded it with to stave off corrosion in shipping or storage.

My experience with these things is a decade old by now, so maybe things have changed, IDK.

Pulled that carb and took a good look at it. It's a Holley indeed. Bores are about 1.68" diameter. No smog crapola on it, just throttle and electric choke pull-off. A candidate for rebuild, methinks.

I did find hits about R6350B, and a supplier of rebuild kits. But we don't have a dip tank or ultrasonic. As a teen, I remember taking mine to a hot rod shop guy with a dip tank.

What's required these days to properly rebuild a dirty old carb? It is nasty, as you see in the pics. Mice poop in there too. Hilarious side note: Eldest son the full time mechanic has never touched a carb...or points.

Anybody know the CFM of a Holley R6350B carb?

Update: Just watched a Holley company video, so I found the list number and added that pic. 4412-5

R6350Bstamping.jpg.835255a49d2f0c9b8c0069a7dcc5c0a7.jpg

Bores.jpg.4e0a0db1bab9dc590bd03700ff4f0071.jpg

ChokePullOff.jpg.36203927bad681b5f1e2e20ed4367dea.jpg

Throttle.jpg.431558bfc350bf0fee506c792d5bca82.jpg

ListNumber.jpg.9b6045f0a3468af1a3b5d3ff24edc71d.jpg

Yes, it has HEI. Bright spot in the story.

2nd son came and said "Papa, I can't find the coil..."

Anybody know what retrofit dizzy this might be? Later model Ford? The coil is in the cap, as I recall.

Not a bad surprise to find this. Looks new inside too.

Note vacuum advance nipple is capped. Hmmm

HEI.jpg.60985d7fd43eddcd95dd38186524e472.jpg

Anybody know what retrofit dizzy this might be? Later model Ford? The coil is in the cap, as I recall.

The first thing I see is the mouse trap! :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

That HEI needs the vacuum hooked up.

Somebody probably installed it and never finished.

Generic blue HEI dizzy's were available from a number of different distributors but probably all come out of the same Chinese factory.

I've pointed people to Skip White for their installation instructions, after trying to explain to them that they can't just use the old coil wire, and need a relay and 12Ga. power wire.

Yep, HEI. Works, but if you are going to break into double digits on the MPG you'll need vacuum advance.

On the carb, I use O'Reilly's brake cleaner. Seems to be about as good as carb cleaner, and is a lot better than some brands of cleaners. I put it in a pan and spray the thing down. Then use a nylon brush about the size of a toothbrush to clean it. BUT, keep the cleaner away from the plastic parts, like the float.

But I know nothing about that specific carb.

Pulled that carb and took a good look at it. It's a Holley indeed. Bores are about 1.68" diameter. No smog crapola on it, just throttle and electric choke pull-off. A candidate for rebuild, methinks.

I did find hits about R6350B, and a supplier of rebuild kits. But we don't have a dip tank or ultrasonic. As a teen, I remember taking mine to a hot rod shop guy with a dip tank.

What's required these days to properly rebuild a dirty old carb? It is nasty, as you see in the pics. Mice poop in there too. Hilarious side note: Eldest son the full time mechanic has never touched a carb...or points.

Anybody know the CFM of a Holley R6350B carb?

Update: Just watched a Holley company video, so I found the list number and added that pic. 4412-5

Post a closeup of the list and build numbers stamped on the front of the choke horn. (I missed that when I first scrolled through your post on my phone.. :nabble_smiley_blush:)

4412-5 is a model 2300 carb, 500 CFM.

I think I suggested a 4412-2300 back on the first page of this thread. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

If you want jetting and the numbers for Holley rebuild kits go to the numerical listing pdf on Holley's tech pages.

Post a closeup of the list and build numbers stamped on the front of the choke horn. (I missed that when I first scrolled through your post on my phone.. :nabble_smiley_blush:)

I think I suggested a 4412-2300 back on the first page of this thread. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

If you want jetting and the numbers for Holley rebuild kits go to the numerical listing pdf on Holley's tech pages.

The date code means the 24th week of 2016? I'm pleased that it's 500 cfm.

ListNumber.thumb.jpg.bf08dfbe0c4db92a1262ea2c78a7b952.jpg

The date code means the 24th week of 2016? I'm pleased that it's 500 cfm.

No. 4 digit codes are the day of the year + year

Yours was made the 162 day of '74, '84, '94, 'OR 04,

• 1 month later...

No. 4 digit codes are the day of the year + year

Yours was made the 162 day of '74, '84, '94, 'OR 04,

We have rebuilt the Holley carb with a kit from Summit. Bro and sis working together. He's a full time wrench but has never before touched a carb. These young folks these days, I tell ya ...

Noticed on reinstalling it that the wiring harness to the ECU under the driver seat also includes needed feeds for oil pressure, tach, and coolant temp. Sis had yanked the whole harness, oops. Wrench son is currently taking the harness apart to leave only the wires we need. One wire seems to be coolant temp to the EGR. It's dark out there, that kid is a night owl, and I'm going horizontal any minute. We're deleting EGR anyway. No legal requirement in this state at this vehicle age.

Which brings me to an EGR blockoff plate question. We were told this is a 351 but just in case, does a 302 EGR blockoff plate also fit a 351? The listings in fleabay stop in the 90s. This truck is a 1982, built in May 92

EGRcrop.jpg.10c12820451265b6dc2ba6aeacfa6a92.jpg

We have rebuilt the Holley carb with a kit from Summit. Bro and sis working together. He's a full time wrench but has never before touched a carb. These young folks these days, I tell ya ...

Noticed on reinstalling it that the wiring harness to the ECU under the driver seat also includes needed feeds for oil pressure, tach, and coolant temp. Sis had yanked the whole harness, oops. Wrench son is currently taking the harness apart to leave only the wires we need. One wire seems to be coolant temp to the EGR. It's dark out there, that kid is a night owl, and I'm going horizontal any minute. We're deleting EGR anyway. No legal requirement in this state at this vehicle age.

Which brings me to an EGR blockoff plate question. We were told this is a 351 but just in case, does a 302 EGR blockoff plate also fit a 351? The listings in fleabay stop in the 90s. This truck is a 1982, built in May 92

The easiest way to tell a 351 from a 302 is where the timing cover water port boss passes to the block.

If it is almost flush to the deck the engine is 302. If there is about an inch of space from the head, (1.3" more for the 351) that shows the taller -9.5"- deck of a 351....

302W_Block.png.339eab9c831d3cd9ae7d63b35f589f71.png

351W_Block.png.1d2dc6c7b832e73f2c24db70e27599ef.png

(Pics from Summit where I looked up the following....)

Since the Fel-Pro 70020 EGR gasket fits all 73-96 5.0 and 77-91 5.8l Windsors I would say it's a safe bet the block off plates are the same, even though the EGR valve itself may have changed or be different for different displacements.