Bullnose Forums

Poncho Loco build thread, yes here it is ...

[sNIP]

The Holley 2300 comes in a 350 & 500 cfm sizes.

350 is good on a 6cly the 500 on small v8's up to I would say 360 cid.

I got a 500 on a AMC 304 and it ran great when I had the car on the road.

I have used the 350 on a Toytoa 238 straight six and also ran great.

Son has a 500 on a Jeep 258 and is a little to large.

I would pull that carb apart and if the insides and not eaten up from bad gas I would get a rebuild kit for that carb and rebuilt it and run it.

Dave ----

After catching up on this thread, and seeing the junk out on fleabay I like the idea of rebuilding this one. I didn't know it was a Holley. But ... what about all the useless emissions junk on it? We have no more sniff inspections in Texas at this vehicle age, only rudimentary visual that something that looks like a catalyst is in the exhaust. One of my sons is an official tester and knows all about requirements. Sooooo, all that crapola would have to go, or I would not sleep well at night.

Might just be simpler to buy a Holley 2300 on fleabay without all the Furd emissions stuff. Oooops, just looked at the prices. Gulp. Three kids to support still.

When I search for 2300 carb in fleabay I get hits for the 2100 at reasonable prices but only 300cfm. It has an electric choke, so we wouldn't have to add a cable. Would the 2100 also fit in there and match the linkages?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/182764333254?epid=2242363319&hash=item2a8d9a68c6:g:MAMAAOSwN41fMm0T

300cfm seems small for a 351, but Poncho Loco is for a teen girl so power demands are modest. She's also a fireman with my vfd but drives carefully. Chief has been very direct with us about speeding on the way to the station. NO.

There are different venturi sizes available.

All the way up to 1.31 or something like that.

Additionally, are you aware that 2V & 4V carburetors are flow rated differently?

That's right. Two entirely different pressure drops are used to determine flow.

https://fordsix.com/threads/a-list-of-autolite-motorcraft-2100-2150-carb-flow-rates.41010/

There are different venturi sizes available.

All the way up to 1.31 or something like that.

Additionally, are you aware that 2V & 4V carburetors are flow rated differently?

That's right. Two entirely different pressure drops are used to determine flow.

https://fordsix.com/threads/a-list-of-autolite-motorcraft-2100-2150-carb-flow-rates.41010/

Right. This article in The Carburetor Shop might help. But the bottom line is that 1 & 2 bbl carbs are rated at 3" of vacuum anf 4 bbl carbs are rated at 1.5" of vacuum. So to convert a 2 bbl's rating to compare to a 4 bbl you multiply the 2 bbl rating by .707.

Right. This article in The Carburetor Shop might help. But the bottom line is that 1 & 2 bbl carbs are rated at 3" of vacuum anf 4 bbl carbs are rated at 1.5" of vacuum. So to convert a 2 bbl's rating to compare to a 4 bbl you multiply the 2 bbl rating by .707.

I read that article and felt the need to grow a second face so I could do double facepalms...what a mess. And it seems moot in my application.

So... a 300cfm 2v would be rated at 212cfm (300/1.141) were it a 4v. But because a 2v carb on a 351cid engine is most likely going to maintain 3" of mercury minimum, that 4v figure seems moot.

Back a few posts, @ArdWrknTrk suggested "one of the 2100-2150 knockoffs that you can get for $100 outright" and that is looking great right now, considering budget. But how much fab will be required for linkages?

I read that article and felt the need to grow a second face so I could do double facepalms...what a mess. And it seems moot in my application.

So... a 300cfm 2v would be rated at 212cfm (300/1.141) were it a 4v. But because a 2v carb on a 351cid engine is most likely going to maintain 3" of mercury minimum, that 4v figure seems moot.

Back a few posts, @ArdWrknTrk suggested "one of the 2100-2150 knockoffs that you can get for $100 outright" and that is looking great right now, considering budget. But how much fab will be required for linkages?

There's a variety of these carbs on the market.

https://www.amazon.com/Team-Performance-Carburetor-2100-Ford/dp/B074KYWXW7/ref=pd_di_sccai_5/140-7859641-3584234?pd_rd_w=7H90T&pf_rd_p=c9443270-b914-4430-a90b-72e3e7e784e0&pf_rd_r=MJZEX753C8EM4TQ11QCN&pd_rd_r=a2ff03c2-5012-4ba3-89a0-d5eceae24f2b&pd_rd_wg=gz3mP&pd_rd_i=B074KYWXW7&psc=1

Most intended for various Ford applications, and a few for Jeeps or AMC products.

I haven't taken a deep dive into eBay, Amazon, Bangood, or the other suspects.

I just see them and hear stories.

What linkages would you need?

Is there a transmission kick-down to swap over?

Speed control?

I think you want to be mindful of where the fuel nipple is.

But otherwise it's going to be a 'clone' of an Autolite/Motorcraft carb from the '70's or early '80's.

Fit the same intakes, use the same gaskets and air cleaner, etc...

There's a variety of these carbs on the market.

https://www.amazon.com/Team-Performance-Carburetor-2100-Ford/dp/B074KYWXW7/ref=pd_di_sccai_5/140-7859641-3584234?pd_rd_w=7H90T&pf_rd_p=c9443270-b914-4430-a90b-72e3e7e784e0&pf_rd_r=MJZEX753C8EM4TQ11QCN&pd_rd_r=a2ff03c2-5012-4ba3-89a0-d5eceae24f2b&pd_rd_wg=gz3mP&pd_rd_i=B074KYWXW7&psc=1

Most intended for various Ford applications, and a few for Jeeps or AMC products.

I haven't taken a deep dive into eBay, Amazon, Bangood, or the other suspects.

I just see them and hear stories.

What linkages would you need?

Is there a transmission kick-down to swap over?

Speed control?

I think you want to be mindful of where the fuel nipple is.

But otherwise it's going to be a 'clone' of an Autolite/Motorcraft carb from the '70's or early '80's.

Fit the same intakes, use the same gaskets and air cleaner, etc...

>What linkages would you need?

>Is there a transmission kick-down to swap over?

>Speed control?

It's a 4sp stick so no kickdown needed. It does have cruise but its status is unknown. Should it work that would be icing on the cake. So basically, throttle is the main need.

The plus with Bezoszon is that return is easy as pie, given Prime membership. I do believe I'll use that link you sent. Thank you.

The story of Poncho Loco. Interspicing a little narrative with the build thread....

The boys (my sons) are all over FB Marketplace. I can't stand it. One afternoon they were excited as all get out and asked me to borrow the 28' car hauler. I said OK as long as I could go with, knowing that boys will be boys.

On the way they said they'd found an excellent donor truck for our other Bullnoses, and they'd talked the seller down from $1200 to $900. Somehow, I heard $600. I have Scottish genes.

We pulled up, and the truck was buried back in the weeds behind the shop, up the hill, hard to access, neglected. But I spotted straight body panels right away, a solid dash and like-new adjustable steering column. A spare front bumper and spare straight hood were in the line-x'd bed. Sweet.

After we tried to crank it and all that happened was make the lug on the starter relay turn red hot, I offered $600. He hemmed and hawed a bit, not ready to take it. We turned the motor over with a wrench so saw it was not locked up. I suspected the starter.

Then suddenly he said OK you guys were the first and you put all this work into it, it's getting dark, so you can have it for $600. He also mentioned that he thinks the tailgate alone is worth that much. Pic below for your opinion. At that point he mentioned that he started with $1200, and I apologized for misunderstanding that the previously agreed price was in fact $900. But he was a decent man, acknowledged that we could not spin it with the starter, and stuck with $600.

So that's the story of how we got such a solid F150 4x4 for only $600. Of course we haven't fired up the motor yet, but it's allegedly been rebuilt. As us old farts know, that could mean anything from new valve cover gaskets and a rattle can, to a full machine shop job. We'll find out.

As noted in other posts, my daughter took a shine to Poncho Loco, so he won't be a parts truck at all.

The mystery tailgate. I haven't seen one quite like this before. We think the truck was originally XLT.

TailgateCrop.jpg.e04be1871e4df6cfc6df1b0e00904431.jpg

The story of Poncho Loco. Interspicing a little narrative with the build thread....

The boys (my sons) are all over FB Marketplace. I can't stand it. One afternoon they were excited as all get out and asked me to borrow the 28' car hauler. I said OK as long as I could go with, knowing that boys will be boys.

On the way they said they'd found an excellent donor truck for our other Bullnoses, and they'd talked the seller down from $1200 to $900. Somehow, I heard $600. I have Scottish genes.

We pulled up, and the truck was buried back in the weeds behind the shop, up the hill, hard to access, neglected. But I spotted straight body panels right away, a solid dash and like-new adjustable steering column. A spare front bumper and spare straight hood were in the line-x'd bed. Sweet.

After we tried to crank it and all that happened was make the lug on the starter relay turn red hot, I offered $600. He hemmed and hawed a bit, not ready to take it. We turned the motor over with a wrench so saw it was not locked up. I suspected the starter.

Then suddenly he said OK you guys were the first and you put all this work into it, it's getting dark, so you can have it for $600. He also mentioned that he thinks the tailgate alone is worth that much. Pic below for your opinion. At that point he mentioned that he started with $1200, and I apologized for misunderstanding that the previously agreed price was in fact $900. But he was a decent man, acknowledged that we could not spin it with the starter, and stuck with $600.

So that's the story of how we got such a solid F150 4x4 for only $600. Of course we haven't fired up the motor yet, but it's allegedly been rebuilt. As us old farts know, that could mean anything from new valve cover gaskets and a rattle can, to a full machine shop job. We'll find out.

As noted in other posts, my daughter took a shine to Poncho Loco, so he won't be a parts truck at all.

The mystery tailgate. I haven't seen one quite like this before. We think the truck was originally XLT.

That's a cool story! And a good looking truck. But I don't think you stole it. I've purchased several non-running trucks from $200 to $600. And I wouldn't pay over the $600 unless it was a very special truck, like an XLS with all the bits that go with it.

As for the tailgate, that doesn't look like a special one.

>What linkages would you need?

>Is there a transmission kick-down to swap over?

>Speed control?

It's a 4sp stick so no kickdown needed. It does have cruise but its status is unknown. Should it work that would be icing on the cake. So basically, throttle is the main need.

The plus with Bezoszon is that return is easy as pie, given Prime membership. I do believe I'll use that link you sent. Thank you.

I just pulled a carb out of a hat, as an example.

As the listing says ' make sure you compare this item to what you have, and all features are correct for your application'

I can't say what you need.

I can't say what you've got.

And, I can't say what that truck came with from the factory.

Like I said to Jonathan, be sure to open it up and flush out any oil that they may have flooded it with to stave off corrosion in shipping or storage.

My experience with these things is a decade old by now, so maybe things have changed, IDK.

The tailgate with trim panel looks no different than what I had on my 1980 F150 Ranger Lariat, it's what came on the 80-84 XLT and Lariat trucks.